Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ballard No. 9 refinish (Read 3523 times)
RonJonUSN

Ballard No. 9 refinish
Sep 6th, 2015 at 11:07am
Print Post  
I picked up this Ballard at Amoskeag auction this spring and someone in the past had refinished the wood with plain varnish.  Ugly.  An old timer once gave me a recipe for hand rubbed oil finish.  He called it 123VLT.  One part spar varnish, two parts blo, and three parts real turpentine.  You can find real turp on fleabay, comes from a fellow in NC who makes it from longleaf pine resin.  Anyway, after fourteen coats of hand rubbed VLT, this is what it looks like. First four coats are wet sanded w/400 grit and rubbed in.  Number 8 coat is wet sanded w/ 2000 grit.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: Ballard No. 9 refinish
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2015 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Pretty sure plain old vanish was one of the finishes Ballard used. Carver Tripp spar varnish is what I use. My supply is very old and dark. Takes weeks to dry. I mix a couple drops Japan dryer to make it dry over night. 

Your rifle looks nice. 

What caliber? How does she shoot?  Competition? 

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

RonJonUSN

Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2015 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
The finish was definitely not factory varnish.  It had a very unappealing look to it.  Bought a Maynard from the same consignor and it has the same look to it.  The caliber if this rifle is 32-40 Ballard.  Bore is excellent.  Have not shot it much, but at 50 yds, I did get a 1 inch group.  Notice it has the gallery sight, not the mid range vernier that originally was on it.  I can probably get it to shoot out to 100, maybe 200, but I don't know how far this sight will elevate.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2015 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Think I have the same sight on my Pacific. No problem with elevation. 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2015 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
The mid range gallery will get you the same distance, but it's the adjustment that gives me headaches. Since you have to loosen the eye cup, and slide it, the adjustment isn't too accurate. Once set, it's a fine sight, and works great. Just getting there that's a hassle.
The finish looks great! I use Wipe On Poly myself, which gives me the same hand rubbed finish, but easily repaired if it happens to get a ding!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint