Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Value of these two rifles???? (Read 4274 times)
zeke

Value of these two rifles????
Jun 10th, 2015 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
     Hi All:

At my local gun store there are two rifles that just came in for sale:

One is a Stevens Little Scout marked 14 1/2 22LR and a date of 1907 stamped on the action.  It has a dovetail cut on the bottom of the barrel for some reason?????

The other is marked J Stevens KO2.  It is stamped April 17, 1894. It too is a 22rf.

Both of these guns are falling blocks.  The metal and bore are great but the wood has been refinished on both.

The owner is asking $300.00 each or both for $525.00.  What are your thoughts about these rifles and what should I offer for them?

Tia,

Zeke

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Value of these two rifles????
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2015 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Well, the Little Scout is a very weak rolling block action, not a falling block, and has IMHO no value whatsoever except as an example of what kind of stuff was sold as a "boy's rifle" by Stevens after Page took over in 1906.  Even in good condition they are not strong enough for any modern .22 ammo except maybe CCI Quiet or CB Caps.  I honestly would not pay anything over $50 for one, even if it were well-nigh mint. 

I have no idea what a K02 would signify.  Maybe someone else can help?   

:::::  It came to me just now - the K02 stamped on the bottom tang could be the "serial number" of a Favorite.  They made so many that they couldn't use a simple ascending number sequence, so they started using  a letter/number combination, which nobody today can make sense of, since they apparently used some combinations more than once.  The 1894 patent date would make it sometime between 1894 and WW1. If it's in decent shape, $300 is a fair price.  If the bore is rusted or shot out, it's an easy re-line job, or you can simply fit a new barrel.  A Favorite is a desirable little rifle.  Really good ones can go for $600.    

« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2015 at 10:21pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2015 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Have to disagree on the Little Scout. Mint ones bring $400+. Decent ones $200+. A parts gun might go for $50. Yes they are a small boys rifle and not a target gun. Collectable as such. Standard velocity ammo works fine in them if they are in good shape. No high velocity or hyper velocity stuff. Fun plinkers. Pictures of both would be needed to determine value and to identify the other one. Stock refinish would lower the price somewhat depending on the overall condition of the gun.

IP Logged

coljimmy
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2015 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
Over the last several months, I have amused myself by watching Stevens Favorites' "serial numbers" and I use that term loosely.  Having one of these letter/numbers doesn't necessarily make it a Favorite but it suggests that it is.  Looking at any that I can, mostly Gunbroker ads, I have found two model 101's in 44 shot marked Q5xx and H6xx and a Marksman marked G9xx.  Whether these are serials or batch numbers, I will plead ignorance.  Note that Remington m1875 pistols were marked under the grips with batch serials explaining why sellers claim "first year of production" for them.

I have a very nice 14 1/2 22 long rifle stamped "regular cartridges" which I take to mean black powder or standard velocity, and marked SVG for Savage suggesting not intended for the new-fangled high velocity stuff.  If a CB cap doesn't make it out the muzzle, some old timers would try to "shoot it out" which caused ringed barrels or worse - not recommended.  I talked the seller down to $200 for this one.

James

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2015 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Any Stevens serial # is hard to decipher. The boys rifles more like impossible.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2015 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
Model 12 and 101 are also marked that way, but not easy to mistake for a falling-block.  They are, IMHO, the best of all the Stevens boys' rifles, including the Favorite.

<div class=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint