Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens 47 DST .32 Ideal (Read 24908 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens 47 DST .32 Ideal
Reply #30 - May 4th, 2015 at 11:52am
Print Post  
This is a picture of the Steven #2 & #3 Schuetzen butt plates.

The #2 was standard on the Model 44/45 (it can directly replace the standard cresent plate) and the #3 was optional on that model so, with the shape of the pictured Model 44/47, it would make since that the #3 would fit that shape. But, I can't say for certain that the #3 plate was standard on the 47. Leon could confirm that though.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Adrian

Reply #31 - May 4th, 2015 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Thank you. I may do this in the next few months, by sending the stock to CPA and asking them to fit a plate nicely without altering the wood. It looks like the no 2 (one left, i assume) would be fitting the curve and size of the stock. I can do the finishing myself, browning, rusting, and polishing, as a new case hardened plate would look out of place.
The rifle is so authentic otherwise, it just bugs me that someone did a poor job on that brass plate. However, it will do just fine for now.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - May 4th, 2015 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
A pic I've found of the buttplate on a somewhat later Model 47:

<div class=

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - May 4th, 2015 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Adrian,
The one on the left, is the #3.

Phil,
It maybe the Model 47 was like the Model 45 and that the larger #3 butt plate was a option to both of them.

I wish A C Gould (Leon) would chime in, he probalaly has or has had all the models in the 44.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - May 4th, 2015 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
My catalogs and my survey seem to show that the 47 was just a 45 with pistol-grip stock and loop lever.  Same barrels, same sights.   The standard buttplates look exactly the same. 

<div class=

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - May 4th, 2015 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on May 4th, 2015 at 8:22pm:
My catalogs and my survey seem to show that the 47 was just a 45 with pistol-grip stock and loop lever.  Same barrels, same sights.   The standard buttplates look exactly the same. 

Then that would hold true. I know for a fact that the #3 BP is a option on a 45.

I got my 45 in '86 and research it since then and bought a CPA #3 butt plate and butt stock for it. A C Gould confirmed it for me, too.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - May 4th, 2015 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
I may have solved this with the Stevens catalogs.

1. 1900 cat. options for the 45 & 47 (back page of the 47 info), the sixth option.

2. 1909 cat. Bottom of the page, regarding #3 barrels.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

830singleshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #37 - May 5th, 2015 at 1:21am
Print Post  
That old brass hook plate has been on that rifle a long time.  I wouldn't replace it but I would finish removing the top prong so it would be more like a Schoyen single prong plate.  I would also put a old style dovetail slot filler and remove the rear sight.  It will probably bring a good price on Ebay.
That windguage Lyman globe sight is nice as well.  Enjoy.

J. Scott McCash&&New Braunfels, TX&&830-237-2376&&jsmccash@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Adrian

Reply #38 - May 5th, 2015 at 9:26am
Print Post  
All, this is very useful information. Thank you.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #39 - May 5th, 2015 at 11:17am
Print Post  
I personally would not do anything to the buttplate, nor would I replace it. Yes, it's not what Stevens would offer, but it does appear to have been on it forever. If I had anything done, it would be to just make sure it fit the stock well. If it's a poor fit, I'd fix that, but not alter or change the buttplate. It would be tough to carve on that buttplate, and get it returned to the same patina it has presently.
As for Stevens rifles, and buttplates in general. There are buttplates that are most commonly found on certain models, but there are numerous examples of Stevens rifles with factory buttplates (and other options!) that defy the norm. Yes, we can say this or that was standard, but considering how accommodating Stevens was with options, I'm never surprised by something that doesn't fall into "factory standard" for the model.
Sometimes it's hard for me to determine what model a Stevens single shot rifle is, because of the options someone chose, which make it tough to categorize.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Adrian

Reply #40 - May 6th, 2015 at 6:33am
Print Post  
marlinguy, if you look into reply no 7, i posted a picture of the buttplate. On the left the plate is 1 mm 1.5mm too narrow )wood is wider), visible in pctures.  On the right edge it is perfect. I would not modify the plate, the rifle was someone's valued target rifle and that makes it collectible to me. Considering that this was probably added later, i was just wondering...

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - May 6th, 2015 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
There is something to be said for period modifications. In some respects I like them better than a totally original gun. I have been known to add period modifications on my own guns when I felt it was appropriate. I have a much modified 44 that I need to take some pictures of and post here for discussion as to just what it actually is. Neat stuff. Love it.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #42 - May 9th, 2015 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
slumlord44 wrote on May 6th, 2015 at 9:57pm:
There is something to be said for period modifications. In some respects I like them better than a totally original gun. I have been known to add period modifications on my own guns when I felt it was appropriate. I have a much modified 44 that I need to take some pictures of and post here for discussion as to just what it actually is. Neat stuff. Love it.

I love period modifications, but if we do our own today, they aren't period modifications.
If someone doesn't like the period modifications done by the various old masters of the 1800's and early 1900's; feel free to send all those old Pope, Schoyen, Zischang, Niedner, etc. rifles my way! Smiley
Maybe if the buttplate disturbs the OP, then set it aside, and get something large enough to cover the wood, and shape it down to fit. Then keep that old period buttplate for the next owner.

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #43 - May 13th, 2015 at 9:14am
Print Post  
From my experience I have owned model 45's and 47's with both size butt stocks. The entire stock was bigger when they used the #3 plate.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #44 - May 13th, 2015 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Quarter_Bore wrote on May 13th, 2015 at 9:14am:
From my experience I have owned model 45's and 47's with both size butt stocks. The entire stock was bigger when they used the #3 plate.

Same here! 
I've owned Stevens rifles that I couldn't categorize also. Sometimes Stevens was so accommodating with their options, that the end rifle seems to just defy categorization. You can guess what model Stevens based it on, but no way to know what it is, other than a special order.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint