Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) How do you tighten new Lyman tang sight? (Read 6643 times)
Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

How do you tighten new Lyman tang sight?
Apr 13th, 2015 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Though not a single shot, I decided to ask here as the wealth of knowledge is awesome and somebody has for sure been in the same boat as I am now.  I just bought a used though unfired Win Model 94 Legacy with 24" octagon barrel and have finished loading my test runs of several cast bullet loads.  The rifle comes standard with a bead front sight, a buckhorn rear and also the new model tang sight that fits behind the safety.  The stem on this sight is adjustable for both windage and elevation.  My problem is that it rocks to and fro about 5 degrees and is as loose as a goose.  How does one tighten this thing so it is useful?  Thanks.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: How do you tighten new Lyman tang sight?
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Afraid I don't know of anything that can be done to one.  Best bite the bullet and buy either original 1A or a MVA Marbles style tang sight. MVA also makes a simple venier without lead screws that's not real expensive. It's the one I use on my Marlin 1894 38/40 Rifle.

New receiver sights no better. Put a dial indicator on my Lyman 66's used in Lever Silhouette, Measured Friends Williams too. After seeing how much backlash they have, got rid of all and switched my 39A and 36A Marlins over to vintage Redfield 75's. I have a old 39A with original 17A Lyman and it's absolutely repeatable with no backlash.

Sight controls every shot you make one that's inconsistent is worse than useless. Why companies turn out things that won't work is beyond me.

Boats

IP Logged

win 32-40

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Both new Marbels and Lyman tang sights are useless.Avoid like the Plague.I Have wasted my money on a few of both models, and now have given them away. How could they have made them OK 100+ years ago with antique crude machinery,  and now dont have the foggiest clue how to manufacture ?

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
They are likely made by those very caring Chinese these days. At least they told me their molds are now made in China, so will guess everything else they could move off-shore has also been moved. Pretty sad.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
buy a lee shaver economy  soule sight for  200.00 and be happy   art

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
I am not kidding when I say it moves at least 5 degrees from vertical just by gravity!  My poor old eyes are bad enough without entering that much error.  One thing about it I cannot hurt it so will attempt a McGiever fix on it!

Twitter  
IP Logged

notlwonk

Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2015 at 8:39am
Print Post  
I've had both the new Lyman and Marbles. I was able to shim, pin and and/or place a small 'O' ring on the stem. All these changes did remove most of the movement. Both have been since been ebayed and replaced with original Lyman or Marbles. The originals for Winchester and Ballard (Marlin) hole patterns have cost $150 to $180 as I recall. The old Marbles needed a little shimming but still a bunch better than new models.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 7:15am
Print Post  
When I was a kid shooing a Stevens 413 Goverment surplus small bore rifle my dad spent hours trying to get the rear sight to hold zero. Shim stock squeezing in a vice peening outside the slide, everything.  Shoot the gun prone 10 shots get a nice group going then another group half inch off the first one. Home after the matches he worked on it again and again never cured the problem. 

Kid I was competitive with using a Winchester 52 and Lyman sight beat me more than I like to admit, due to my  useless rear sight. Never again, vowed no more junk sights. Throw it away.

Boats

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Turns out when I took it off the rifle it is a Marble so I called them up.  The gentleman who they directed me to said mail it in and we will fix it so I just got back from the post office.  Two weeks ago I bought a new Marbles sight from CPA for my Stevens 044 1/2 and it appears to be tight and a quality product.  Will post again when I get the sight back from Marble but was really pleased with the attitude.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Bet the Marbles style from CPA was made by Montana Vintage Arms

Boats

IP Logged

RoyB
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Apr 17th, 2015 at 9:45am
Print Post  
Do a search for "Lyman" on my web site

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I wrote an article about this with pictures

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Apr 17th, 2015 at 10:29am
Print Post  
Boats, the CPA sight was a special run by Marble and came in a Marble box.  My rifle is at CPA getting rebuilt so I haven't tried it out but it looks nice and tight.  I imagine it has lash but this is a hunting rifle where the sights wont be adjusted after initial sight in.

Twitter  
IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Apr 17th, 2015 at 10:35am
Print Post  
RoyB, excellent article!  A picture is worth a 1000 words.  Thanks.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint