Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Color case hardening rolling block parts, properly (Read 19390 times)
corerftech
Senior Forum Member

Color case hardening rolling block parts, properly
Apr 7th, 2015 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
So folks, I have a year of metallurgy under my belt which makes me a general idiot on the subject. I did get an A in the class, I kicked the classes rear. But I'm old and like school now.

I digress. I've just about finished ALL machining on a severely damaged rolling block of swede origin, '74 bp circa. I'm preparing to use my converted heatbtreat furnace/kiln for the first time to actually harden metal, not anneal/normalize. I have spent hundreds if not closer to 1500.00 on needed materials, crucibles, charcoals, etc. I have very successfully normalized my parts pre machining. It's time to put some guinea pigs in the oven and quench them to see if my research, classroom time, investment will pay off some color at Rc30 or so. My research has revealed a common thread, these heat treaters that do professional color case really don't give a crap about the actual surface hardening and improved wear resistance. I will not add Doug Turnbull to that statement though. I have found that most pro or amateur casers are quenching at well below critical temp. Like down at 1100 degrees. That's all good but there is nearly zero carbon maintained at that temp. Maybe pure iron around 1150 would take a good case, not good color, a good case. The iron/carbon charts don't lie. 

I take some issue with this process as the primary reason for case hardening is to produce surface wear resistance and longevity. That's why my roller from 1871 survived till I got my hands on it. Now that it's back to being a Rolex internally and mostly externally, I need to protect that bit of machining. I have only found ONE published dude that indicated he actually read what carburization I'd for and stuck to his high temp quench. Unfortunately he also polished his grey case or color, whichever he found he derived at the time, back to white! So it didn't matter.

I would like to case with color and I'm not real pickey. I don't mind then imperfect color patterns. My desire is useful case first, esthetics second.

Does/has anyone on the forum any input to why most folks referenced on the net stay under critical temp and do an injustice to their material? Aside from increased distortion risk that is.   

I'll be polishing some a36 and some 1018 plus an old shotgun receiver that is junk, to serve as the guinea pigs. I figure if I can't get good colors, or get no color, I'll just polish the receiver and parts back to white knowing that there is a deep case and let nature take its course to produce

IP Logged

corerftech
Senior Forum Member

Re: Color case hardening rolling block parts, properly
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2015 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
A final patina finish for me. I'd prefer some color. 
I intended to see how the hammer and block pan out and maynjustnpolishnthem to white as traditionally found on the action originally. 

My pins are 4130 preHT. I can't touch them. So is my replacement breach face. I'm not sure if I should blue the breach face insert, leave white and let nature do it's thing and or blue the pins.

As for the screws, I am using Womack replacements. I'd like to case them as well but not sure of the metallurgy. Or should they just be rust blued.

I figure half the beauty of case color and I think any action that's not solid blue is the contrast provided by many parts of different states. 

Any suggestions as to how to finish the screws best? I don't want a rust bucket in 6 months. I DO want a good handling finish with some rust resistance on ALL parts.

Thanks in advance for any input. 

Oh one more question regarding my test parts. I have several trashed savage and stevens SS shotgun and model 24 o/u receivers. All seem to be built around ww2 era. 
I don't know what metallurgy these are and all references I did find we're unsubstantiated and not worthy. Are they alloy steel or mild? Were they indeed cyanide processed due to alloy? I'd like to use them as test fodder and yes they are trash but I'd still like to use them only if metallurgically it's warranted.

Mike

IP Logged

Seanmp
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2015 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
This is a great question you ask. It would seem in my own research that those who really know wont talk and those that talk dont really know.

You are absolutely correct in that most CC'ers are quenching well below critical and can only be be getting perhaps a few points of extra hardness.

I've attempted this a few times and gotten limited results at any temps that were near critical.
Heres what I know

Shielding is a key component to the process. Just exactly what perfect shielding looks like will take more experimentation on my part. Many wraps of soft wire seems to work with various pieces of scrap trapped in the wraps

The water needs to have so much air bubbling in it that it's is almost foam. The steel needs to be buffeted rapidly by water air water air water etc in order to be exposed to oxygen when it is at the critical temperature to form a certain colour. 

Hard to get these days days but I have read a few spoons of potassium nitrate (salt peter) in the water can make a big difference  in the yellows and reds by increasing the amount of oxygen in the water. I was going to try tossing in a few spoons of Black as it is primarily pottassium nitrate

On your small parts I would be inlined to rust blue them with a "belgium" blue. Anything with mercuric chloride will give you nice colour on the 4130.
Ditto on the screws. I would check them for hardness. Chances are they are 1144 or similar. Direct harden and then temper and finish with the same rust blue
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2015 at 4:41pm by Seanmp »  

Sean

IP Logged

graduated peep
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 7th, 2015 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Screws can be nicely blued if held in molten lead for a short time.
They can also be bathed in molten salt peter aka niter bluing.

Salt peter can be bought where they sell meat curing supplies; as it is still used for that purpose.
Some drug store might still have it in small amounts.

Perhaps you assessment of professionals not quenching at high enough temps comes from their fear of the part warping at higher temps ????

IP Logged

Mike_Hunter
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2015 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Mike
Well, I have not had a metallurgy class, but I have been doing CCH commercially for about 10 years now, if that means anything. 

Why do most folks doing CCH stay under true case hardening temp? Simple answer is for liability concerns.

You see, when many of these factories made these guns, having a 10-15% wastage due to warpage and cracking was not an issue. They would just grab another $2.00 receiver. In the restoration field, that receiver may have come off a $30, 000 gun. Are you willing to accept that risk? 

Secondly, many of the guns that were case hardened, did not need to be case hardened. Models such as Winchester’s 1873, 1876, 1885, 1886, 1892 and 1894s came out with blued and case hardened finishes. The factory considered the frame strong enough without case hardening to be acceptable.  The blued guns are dead soft. 

Thirdly, the carbon in case hardening is cumulative, you add carbon every time its case hardened, and it doesn’t magically disappear when annealed. 

Finally, steel absorbs carbon well below the critical temp, generally above 1100 deg F, steel will absorb carbon in its gaseous form (carbon monoxide & carbon dioxide). 

As to your Savage and Stevens frames, there is a very real possibility that they were made out of SAE 4140, which is a thru hardening steel and not case hardening.  Remember, the thru hardening steels were initially developed for the aircraft, rail and automotive industries. If I remember correctly, 4140 was developed by GM for axle shafts.  And from your classes, you know that you should not case harden thru hardening steel. 4140 was unknown until the 1920s

Mike Hunter
Hunter Restorations

Mike Hunter
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

corerftech
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2015 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
Mike Hunter,

That's good stuff!! 
I figured that the receivers from savage and stevens were alloy and someone would stick a fork in them for me. Yes, no desire to attempt to case 4130/40, that's a no bueno.

Not being educated on manufacturer history, that is an eye opener on the early winchester receivers and absolutely makes complete sense.  Bingo, that absolutely gives a foundation for achieving color only and I know that can be done significantly under critical temp. 

The liability point makes good sense and works in combination with the above, color only aspect. If e restoration is for finish results only, then the lowest possible temp should be used to mitigate as best possible any problems with stress following quench.
Point well taken a Mike.

Mike I appreciate the direct answers. My company does some interesting work for bars and restaurants. I don't have a theif mentality so I have gotten an education from the purveyors on how folks steal money and booze in their establishments. There are basic ways, take bottle home, etc. then there is over pouring, increased breakage allowances, man there's a ton of ways to steal booze if your a bartender.
Not being a professional nor experienced, I don't contemplate all the fine points. You have made several very clear and they make fine sense.

I will argue the cumulative carbon in the steel. During annealing the martensite turns to austenite and the carbon is fully in solution in the iron. The carbon then leaves solution during cooling and creates perlite and ferrite Ina patchwork. The carbon lives outside of the iron molecule. When the steel is heated to temps very well below the critical temp while in annealed state, there is little carbon absorbtion since the. Iron never enters face cubic mode. Bottom line is nothing happens all at once, yes it is a progressive absorbtion and 100 percent occurs at critical temp with a lower yield below that temp.
But at 1100 degrees a very very thin case of martensite would be produced, like maybe as this as .0005 or .001. Continued.

IP Logged

corerftech
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 12:13am
Print Post  
If the receiver was annealed after manufacturer built and sold, then the original case carbon either was released out of the skin of the metal or it was taken into solution to form pearlite again. That means the surface has roughly the same carbon content it had when forged or cast. Back to the re-case, if only cased at 1100, then the iron never gets to face centered cubic ( or very little of it does) and won't accept additional carbon at a quality rate. So the case will be extremely thin. Iron and carbon don't play to make martensite till the temps go up!

But as you have specified, color case is really truly about he finish and not the case hardening depth or necessarily the improved wear resistance.

See, that's why I asked the question!!!! I asked why restoration guys go for color and not a proper case and Mike gave me the answer. It's not necessary...... In most cases. Pun not intended. 

Now that I have an idea of the why, I wonder where my most important deep case processing should be focused. The block and hammer get a ton of cyclical use, the side bearing surfaces need a deep case, IMHO. The raceway they ride in should be equally deep. Exterior in reality need not be deep at all as it's my hands rubbing and maybe some cleaning implements. 

So in reality if the case is held to a couple thou on the receiver, that would be enough To keep the polished guts from gauling and wearing over time. The receiver would wear earliest, the hammer and block can be cased at higher temps to produce a deeper case. 

By Jobe that makes sense, in think???

So Mike in your experience, is it all about shielding to produce color ( again I am not particular in the form or shape of the colors).?? I've seen many contraptions designed to produce very, very specific color patterns by restricting water flow. As I've thought about the copious methods employed, none have the quench rolling like it's boiling, with air. Since then contraptions as I see them working, typically inhibit water contact briefly (while interaction with the four phases of the quench process) to allow varied oxidation to occur in air, would highly agitated water with large bubbles not also produce in a very random fashion, the same effect?? Again, not thinking from the standpoint of reproducing a given effect, simply one that would allow completely random color production without the use of shielding. Let the big bubbles do their thing.

I'll find out soon. Mike any feedback would be appreciated.

IP Logged

Mike_Hunter
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 10:45am
Print Post  
There are so many variables when doing CCH to get predictable reliable results, changing just one variable can change the results considerably. 

Soak temp, quench temp, time at temps, water temp, wood to bone ratio, size of wood/bone char, drop distance from the water, how the part hits the water, drop distance thru the water, diffused o2 in the water, size of parts, thickness of parts, shielding etc… all play a part.

As an example,  parts allowed to soak at 1400 deg f, for 3 hours and quenched at 1100 deg f, into 45 deg  water, will have different hardness and colors than parts held and quenched at 1400 deg f, into water that’s 90deg f. 

Bubbles in the water serve two purposes: first, as pointed out earlier, it can add to the colors, but, there is a point of diminishing returns, as too much o2 will actually cause greying or lack of color. The second, and more important purpose is to keep the water moving around and thru the parts. When the parts are quenched into the water, the water directly in contact with the parts is immediately turned into steam. Steam will have different cooling characteristics than water. Steam pockets in and around the parts will cause uneven cooling, resulting in hard and soft spots, with significantly more warpage and cracking. The moving water helps prevent his. In the days of old, they used large amounts of flowing water; today, we find it easier to use air. 

Ingredients such as Potassium Nitrate, Salt (sodium chloride), Sodium Hydroxide etc., were sometimes added to change the cooling characteristics of the water. Many of these compounds made water wetter, i.e... increased their cooling capacity. Remember, cooling capacity is water’s ability to remove heat. Many folks don’t understand the relationship, and think oh pretty colors, I will add more stuff, then they get warped/cracked frames, or steel that’s as brittle as glass. 

Colors are formed at different temps, they are true “temper colors” much of it depends on the cooling rate of the steel. Adding shields changes the cooling rate for the shielded areas. And, just like with the steam pockets above, changing the rate of cooling has its consequences.   

Then of course there is the tempering phase, all parts going thru the case hardening process, need to be tempered. As with everything else, temps and time for tempering have measureable impacts on the end result.

I didn’t take any classes, pretty much self-taught; well sort of. I had a lot of help from a gentleman name

Mike Hunter

IP Logged

Mike_Hunter
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Cont:

named Oscar Gaddy, who once told me, “Mike, don’t do it unless you plan to spend a lot of time and money, and still end up pulling your hair out”.   Additionally, I have a very large collection of pre 1900 books on the heat treatment of steels. Back then it was more of a science than “black art” like it is today. The above, combined with a lot of practical work: I would take steel parts that I had ground on my surface grinder so that they were flat to +/- .0005, run them thru the case hardening process, and measure the warpage. With all that, it still took me over a year to get a good understanding on what is going on. Doing it as part of my business for 10 + years now, every once in a while I still get a surprise.

Mike Hunter

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 11:17am
Print Post  
If you want to spend some time reading, Jim D. did an excellent treatise at the MFAC forum on his casehardening methods. There's about 31 pages of comments, but most is done in the first 15 pages or so.
It's a really good read for anyone contemplating a start in casehardening. Lots of tips on temps, shielding, etc.

IP Logged

corerftech
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
The Jim D thread is excellent, I have read all 31 pages several times over in the past.

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
corerftech wrote on Apr 8th, 2015 at 12:13am:
If the receiver was annealed after manufacturer built and sold, then the original case carbon either was released out of the skin of the metal or it was taken into solution to form pearlite again. That means the surface has roughly the same carbon content it had when forged or cast....

It's possible(?) that some of these things are being mixed up a bit, and possibly a different thing is happening. The relationship of the carbon to the iron may not mean that the carbon has left the case. If a casting or forging starts off with very low or no carbon, and is case hardened, the case is no longer as forged, but now a steel with enough carbon in it to harden. Chances are normal annealing will not remove that carbon.

Check your charts, if your goal is 30 Rc, the steel case may(?) be that hard in the annealed state, as chances are, a quench from above critical may approach a hardness around double that amount. Maybe another reason there isn't a need to quench from above critical depending on the hardness goal. Another quick thought, if you get full quench hardness, and temper at high enough heat to bring it back to 30 Rc, your colors may not survive.

But, agreed, the colors are where it's at. Only thoughts is all.

IP Logged

corerftech
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 2:16am
Print Post  
Dove in headfirst tonight. I built rather swiftly an aerator, catch screen, holding rack for crucible and modified my big crucible to allow it to fit the rack. I bought a 15 gallon poly barrel with the clamping top for $5 on craigslist, fro a food service joint. Aerator is built from 3/4 inch PVC which I had prior cut up for target frames and they have sat for many years.

I ran the furnace to 735 C (1350 F) and let it go for an hour soak. The fireworks I generated with my first quench was rather boring. I thought from the videos I have seen it would be a bit more grand. Nope. Boring. A little volcanic looking but pleasantly peaceful.

I used last nights rain water run through a paper towel filter. We had a deluge for about 2 hours and I got 150 gallons of storage water, figured Id use it rather than tap or have to buy distilled.

The old shotgun receiver went in BUTT first and Im pretty sure it landed with the ejection port UP. I have confirmed what EVERY PRO and AMATEUR has indicated, if you want the scary blobs of color, you need to use shielding to produce it. I saw what super bubbles would do (violent at 20 PSI rate) and also what still water (relative) would do by the outcome of the left and right flanks. one has fair mottling with concentrated colors patches, one has much less significant mottling with far less significant patches, and the patches are a different temperature color. I agree that some control of the receiver descending and settling should be employed to regulate symmetrically the agitation on both flanks.

I see from inside the receiver, there was some perfection (as generally defined) in color production where the receiver self shielded. Fortunately (as I stated prior in the thread) it was about a solid case first, color secondary and satisfaction with what BIG BUBBLE ACTION would produce without shielding!! I got what I was after. I feel fortunately to have had good color (IMHO) appear and with very good consistency (again IMHO) and 100 percent coverage. I LIKE IT!!

I have coated it with Eds Red to preserve it. I will not put any other coatings on the finish. I am content with OIL, although I may try linseed oil down the road to see if it adds a bit of shine more so than straight oil. Continued..
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2015 at 2:24am by corerftech »  

IP Logged

corerftech
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 2:23am
Print Post  
I used an eyeballed 2.5 or 3:1 wood/bone mix. I did preheat the mix in my kitchen overn at 250 for 30 mins to drive off moisture. The wood char had all been through one anneal cycle already.

Please ignore all the dings, pits, scratches, etc. This receiver was junk when I got it in a box of JUNK receivers that were all parted out. This was rusted beat to hell trash when I started all polishing by hand to 600 grit. I have never blued a gun and as for the swirls I left in the 600 grit, was worried Id see them in the finish. Not a chance. Pits, crap, yes. Swirls at 600 grit, the finish is magnificent. As magnificent as a gravel road could be. No filing was done. I did use brownells rust/blue remover to clean up all the gouges to the core.

Boy pits really show up. The receiver has millions of fine pits, well not so fine that 80 grit wont take them away. They are super fine following the polish. You cant see them w/o having the light strike correctly and the camera perceives them far better than my eye, but they are there. the whole flank is dotted with white reflections like little tiny STARS shining.

The raw wet oil also makes the finish look dull, when its really not. Strange. It looks much better, less drab, when there is less oil (not no oil, just not the WET look). Its like lint and oil combine to form DULL.

Anyway on with the pics. Fresh out of the drawing oven at 350F /1 hour. Eds red applied and soaking in. LED overhead lighting in my kitchen. Ipad for a camera.

« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2015 at 2:30am by corerftech »  

IP Logged

corerftech
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 2:43am
Print Post  
My drop may not have been long enough, or maybe it was too long. About 2 inch to the water surface which was boiling with air. Foaming. Then my aerator was about 12 inch below the screen and that was 12 inch or so below the water surface.

Considering my intentions are to only work on rolling blocks, I have never seen an original rolling block with insane bright popping case colors. Most have a similar finish to what I generated here (but the colors I have seen were in larger blobs and with fewer iterations). Also the edge effect ill call it, where color is highly defined along edges and contrasted by grey or almost white metal parallel, only exists in part. The original finishes I have seen have that very well defined. Of course Ive not seen the uber elite rollers and so maybe they all popped like a Acid Trip in an old VW bus. Maybe all I have seen is tired examples heavily worn and faded. Very likely.

Not sure If Ill try again on this receiver, I hate to take a sample and destroy the work, I lose it as a reference. I will give it a file test for relative hardness and see if the Prof at school will slide it in on a Rockwell or Vickers or something to test the surface status. I believe a file will be just as worthy. If I cant file it, its plenty hard to resist some wear.

All in all Im pretty excited. Ill try another beater action I have and see what maintaining vertical in the bubbles does and what both reducing and increasing bubble action changes. I still think I needed more bubbles, big giant bubbles. I also think maybe my bubbles were too close to the screen. I needed BIG BUBBLES to slam it to form voids and irregularities through the quench phases. I think I had, to roughly paraphrase Mike Hunter, "water thats too wet and cools too well". I needed more vapor phase to get those big messed up spots really messed up!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint