Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Color case hardening rolling block parts, properly (Read 19413 times)
BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Color case hardening rolling block parts, properly
Reply #30 - Apr 12th, 2015 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
corerftech,

You've said your furnace was running "about 50-100 degrees over temp" prior to quench.
Just curious if you've checked to see if your "1 hour draw at 350F" was also running high with a similiar temp offset.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Seanmp
Senior Forum Member

Reply #31 - Apr 12th, 2015 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Ya thanks for the tip! I don't consider myself cheap but I like being frugal and Royal Oak is >$10 and no shipping. Your absolutely right Brownells is beaucoup pricey especially for the bone char. And you can just about double the shelf price to have it shipped across the border. I have mine dropped to my US mailbox in NY.

I still have most of a bucket of bone char as I don't use it for simple pack hardening. Straight wood with a 1/2 teaspoon of Potassium Cyanide per pack.

What are you sieving the Royal Oak to? 1/4" hardware cloth?

I hope you find your tubes of Polish O Ray. It's all I use followed by 555 grey to colour. 
Digressions are good, they lead to interesting places

Sean

IP Logged

corerftech
Senior Forum Member

Reply #32 - Apr 12th, 2015 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
I did a "thing" making hi-po black powder. In doing so I built some precision fractioning screens that stack. In this case I use as well, a gold pan that has the large slots in it and also a goodwill/Salvation Army aluminum deep fryer basket. After basket onto screens, everything that made it through the Goldpan goes, plus anything in the 1F grade screen, which is a mix of 40 mesh plus upwards of 5x10 mesh

I think you mentioned fines being a problem Sean, on the first run with dark outcome I got lazy and left the fines. I leave the fines for annealing with no change in surface. But I'm afraid now. I believe that there is a correlation between char size and color manifestation. So the second run was much better quality graded wood char. I believe that made a big difference in surface finish and mottling. 

It's a theory, but I believe the fines enter the quench as a bollus and superheat the surface. This causes the coolant to behave counter to what is needed. Violent, abhorrent vapor pocket generation allowing oxidation variance. If the surface is superheated then vapor pockets can't form or the converse, a giant void forms and thus oxidation becomes uniform. It's the violent thrashing and splashing that larger chunks of char offer as well as the metal parts themselves that generate the temperature differentials and hotter/cooler zones. It's s busy process and it seems when the process is controlled too much failure follows. 

I noticed that the tank is busy even after the part has cooled as the char actually takes considerable time to wet and cool. This is separate from the part at bottom tank cooling. This is action at top of tank directly.

In gas carburization you are using a near molecular sized compound to do the carbon delivery. Fines should be "just" fine for delivery of carbon and other components needed for color. Yes the fines are taboo by most everything I've read. The chunkyness of the wood matters. I probably make it too fine per industry standard but it's hard to reasonably incorporate very fine 20 mesh bone with 5 or 8 mesh wood. 

If you want to try other woods to see if it makes a difference charcoal is super easy to make with an outdoor Fire. Get your wife's old Christmas popcorn gift can, don't tell her though, and ruin it. Last for years, makes great char for the Bbq too. 
Not efficient in any way shape or form but by golly you'll have fun doing it till she's asks the question. Where did that can come from?

IP Logged

Seanmp
Senior Forum Member

Reply #33 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
Yes I follow you on the idea that a bollus Of fines enters the water as mass that creates a superheated shock void in front of it. Rather than multiple zones of exploding vapour   The discussion that was done at the the double gun shop alludes to this. 

I have made some charred leather and peach pits using the method you describe. Ha I did not use the mrs's Christmas cookie tin though. I found that clay pots with the optional water Base used as a lid makes a great " Coker" At a couple bucks each in multiple sizes They fit the bill

Sean

IP Logged

corerftech
Senior Forum Member

Reply #34 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
Sean,

Had in interesting pre 1900 read today.
I was interested in knowing about the carburisation process, specifically how char granule size would affect the case process.

Indeed, it doesn't really. There is the need for making the media fine enough to get in nooks and crannies but thats not necessary even. Prior I mentioned that it should not matter, since gas is infinite mesh and its the goto for case process. 

I also tripped over the Brownells and other sources indicating no seal needed on crucible.

This latest greatest info is not so great. Obviously the gas produced by the heated char is creating the carbon rich environment. Its pressure at temperature is directly proportional to absorption. (Brearley) So an unsealed vessel leads to both air intake (obvious) but also carbon rich gas pressure loss. A sealed vessel will produce deeper case at lower temps, over shorter soaks (Brearley). Adding this: media size doesnt matter. Unless the process is conducted in a vacuum no direct contact with ANY media is needed (Brearley). As a matter of fact, gas emitted from the steel during heating will be absorbed by unexposed metal. Basically it migrates IN and OUT and back IN, even with ZERO exposure to the gas. The steel will make its own carbon rich gas environment if given the opportunity. What does that mean, well not much except the steel cant hide form the carbon very well. But it can find ways to do it. Really the point is that media is simply dislocating air in the vessel if fine enough until the carbon rich gas cloud is substantial enough to displace it or be converted to a carbon oxide. There was some discussion by BREARLEY that dictates carbon is NOT cumulative as some have thought in the traditional sense, and my time in metallurgy offered that as a primary fact. Carbon comes and goes. If there is not a carbonaceous material offering carbon to the steel and there is o2, there will be carbon loss. Else at normal CCH temps the carbon will travel in solution as expected, but a shorter distance based on peak temp. Cont

« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2015 at 11:59pm by corerftech »  

IP Logged

corerftech
Senior Forum Member

Reply #35 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
From prior: 
So the carbon surface is leached by the core metal of its available carbon, bumping the core to higher levels. But if you present carbonaceous material to the surface the surface will only absorb its normal process carbon percentage. the skin stays the skin!! If 2 hours at 1300 with XX media gives X surface change, re-casing allows process normalization to occur, dispersion of surface carbon back to "Uniform" levels and your stuck with "X surface" condition at quench. You cant double case, if you take the material to near a solution temp. its not cumulative. All that matters not. Everyone uses lower than solution temps to get color (almost everyone) where carbon absorption is minimal at best. For those desiring a deeper case, with potential for color, a sealed environment is optimal by a measurable margin, granule just doesnt matter,(especially if you add paper as I saw a couple folks do to sponge up the avail o2).

An interesting chart was developed with the 10 common materials used for case process. WOOD happens to be the HIGHEST GAS VOLUME PRODUCER in the common non-toxic stuff. So its not necessarily the WOOD chemistry in the wood/bone ratio that changes the color effect or case depth. Bone produces nil for pressure. Its a chemical provider,
but at the expense of gas volume. The wood makes the volume. I noticed that the bone is nearly always stated by the more experienced folks as a low number, wood being dominant. Nobody says WHY. I like the WHY. I will try to seal a vessel and see what happens. 

Frankly there are just too many variables for an experimenter to do, and still make a house payment and work. Sheesh. My electric bill, if I tried every option I have come up with or someone has stated, would be the National Debt.

So CHUNKY IS OK. FINE IS OK, except that it may tend to cause problems in the quench dump. I found it interesting. Its a complex response, not just a simple chemical reaction. Many aspects must be tuned to produce repeatable desired responses (if color and surface quality are at the heart of the process). Simple casing is just that, simple. Brearley is the author cited crudely above. OY!

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Apr 14th, 2015 at 1:39am
Print Post  
Maybe some of the things you're thinking might not be happening.

I'm not so sure you are creating pressure in your vessel, maybe you're creating concentration differences to drive the carbon in the direction you want it to go. Careful if you truly seal a container and run it up to 1300* some degrees, but chances are, inside and out the pressure will be atmospheric, and you may not want to make the cover too hard to get off for the quench.

Also, check the books about what it takes to make carbon available from steel. Chances are the steel will be damaged, and the parts will have little chance of fitting like they went in.

If you get the chance, see if the article by Dr. Gaddy is worth reading, at least as far as getting ideas of things that aren't as likely to work.

IP Logged

Mike_Hunter
Senior Forum Member

Reply #37 - Apr 14th, 2015 at 10:28am
Print Post  
The biggest reason that wood is the predominant component for US manufacturers is that it was cheaper.  If you look at the recipes for European and British case hardening, you will find that they are predominately bone, with most recipes 100% bone. 

What I believe Oscar Gaddy found, was that bone contains phosphorus, which when mixed with wood char, acts as an activator, allowing the steel to absorb the gaseous carbon more readily. 

Mike Hunter
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Seanmp
Senior Forum Member

Reply #38 - Apr 14th, 2015 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Gaddy also suggests that the phosphorous is being laid down as a coating. (a process he believe happens during the quench I think) Those tiny plates of phosphorous acting as a lens through which the colours become deepened. 

I think he concludes the type of quench is critical to getting that lens effect

Correction: Gaddy says Iron Phosphide is responsible for the formation of lens globules
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2015 at 4:51pm by Seanmp »  

Sean

IP Logged

corerftech
Senior Forum Member

Reply #39 - Apr 15th, 2015 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
My metallurgy instructor has been exchanging emails on a daily basis with me. I found out we are literally less than a mile from each other. He's a neighbor.

He produced a document regarding some British work.
MH is correct about 100 pct bone. Thank you Mike, all credit due.

I read it, and was flabbergasted. 

To prove a theory last night I made two successive runs on the same part. Poor think has been flogged with heat and no anneal. Beat the crap out of it I say.

I built a crucible inside of a crucible. That kept the char in constant contact thru entire quench. Results are basically a blued bit of metal. As deep a blue as one would want on a gun, nearly 100 pct coverage. I won't go into detail, the crucible had some design to allow limited and direct water flow to certain areas. This allowed me to contrast responses.

I have discovered the where and why of color formation. It concurs wih the Brit document. Now I must refine my crucible dimensions to allow the action to take place. It correclates directly with all of my results. It's not temp, it's not ratios,mist not necessarily water agitation, water temp,flow, no flow, etc. it's a very simple principle. Char mass.

My crucible is small, it's exactly the receivers dimensions plus 1/2 to 3/4 inch over size of part. Except my smaller receiver which is more dwarfed by the vessel.
The reason for mottled spottily performance is the bolus of char is not great enough in the quench tank at drop. The part must stay immersed in a fluid/vapor/char cloud for the process to occur. And must do so without inhibiting water flow, swirl, etc.

This was definitely proven in the last 3 runs made. I skimp on char as it's expensive. Can't do that. Vessel will need to be much larger to support the part and char needed for good performance.

There it is. Seriously. That's it. If you want to impart certain attribute you can add stuff to keep char closer to the metal during quench, say a blue stripe, etc. but water must still flow and char must disappear. Just slower than the balance of the part.

I'll be back with results on my warped, cracked, beat up receiver. It's a perfect specimen to use. A block of metal will not give the same real world results that this hollow chunk will. It presents all the variables. I have to keep using it.

One more thing, polishing past 400 is futile. I did fire up the buffer and so,e POR up to 400. I also used s/s carding brush on another run. The 400 looks better. 600 will not hold up.

IP Logged

Seanmp
Senior Forum Member

Reply #40 - Apr 23rd, 2015 at 10:45am
Print Post  
corerftech
Have you made any further progress on this, pics and such of your last test.

The cheap bugger in me is wondering if the char can be reused if it was thoroughly dried. My char has a arrived and I've found a couple of used kilns for sale in my area. One is only $100

Adding on a new dual kiln probe and display is $69

Sean

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #41 - Apr 23rd, 2015 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Seanmp wrote on Apr 23rd, 2015 at 10:45am:
corerftech
Have you made any further progress on this, pics and such of your last test.

The cheap bugger in me is wondering if the char can be reused if it was thoroughly dried. My char has a arrived and I've found a couple of used kilns for sale in my area. One is only $100

Adding on a new dual kiln probe and display is $69

Everything I've ever read has said results were poor if you try to reuse it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint