Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stevens 44 Firing Pins Breaking (Read 5791 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Stevens 44 Firing Pins Breaking
Feb 8th, 2015 at 7:59am
Print Post  
One of our club match shooters is having Stevens 44 firing pin problems, he’s a ASSRA member not on line, asked me for advice.  Honest I have never owned a 44 and have some ideas, none founded on experience. Told him I would post the question.

It’s a Neidner barreled .22 LR gun, re-worked into a small bore prone rifle many years ago. Accurate and he shoots it very well.  However he is breaking firing pins, 2 or 3 in the last year. All his pins are homemade, some from scratch, some from turned down pin punches.  Different tempers, which I think is a clue to what’s going wrong.  Pin in the gun when he bought it was probably a homemade too.

Seems to me way a 44 block works, rocking back on opening, pin retracting properly is not the issue, even if it’s not retracting like it should  ought to slide out of a .22 RF case indentation. He’s been looking at pin springs, & something dirty in the block holding back retraction etc.   No cure that direction.  He can’t see anything keeping the pin from sliding properly. 

Being a re-work no telling what’s going on with hammer fall, does it rebound  I don’t know.  Is the hammer preventing retraction on opening. I don’t know that either.

Pins are breaking right at the tip were it comes out of the block. My guess and it's only a guess his firing pins are too hard.

Any advice ?

Boats

P/S he's checked with Paul Shuttleworth, who said his source of replacement 44 pins had dried up, can't help with this one. 

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens 44 Firing Pins Breaking
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2015 at 8:43am
Print Post  
Boats, I agree the pins are probably too hard at the tip, from the turning process.  I would suggest he cut the pin off where it joins the body and drill the body and epoxy in a piece of a decamping pin. Ledball

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2015 at 10:17am
Print Post  
+1 

I've never made a firing pin for a 44 in any other way.  Another good pin material is the shank of an old drill.  Music wire also works.

<div class=

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2015 at 10:33am
Print Post  
I have been making pins from old springs and not doing anything to the heat treat. In this case there may be something binding in the hole. The pin should be a close fit but free to slide easy. When the lever is dropped the hammer should be pushed back as the block starts to move. I have seen several that had ware and would not move the hammer to half cock. Have seen a couple that the firing pin would stay forward and come up under the rim which can break the tip off. Not all 44s have a return spring, be a good idea to add one if it's not there. When making a new firing pin there should only be enough travel to make it work, about .035".

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2015 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Thanks all

Will pass the advice along.

Boats

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2015 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Opps forgot to mention this 44 is set to eject as well as extract. Never used ejector Stevens before. I doubt if that makes for any different advice though

Boats

IP Logged

cmargs

Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2015 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Hello; Does the extractor have a small cut in it to clear the firing pin in case it does not retract at the start of opening? cmargs

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2015 at 11:22am
Print Post  
I'd be looking in the firing pin hole for a sharp edge inside that could contact the rounded shoulder on the firing pin. Could be as simple as removing the sharp edge inside the firing pin hole with a drill bit the get a radius on the inside of the opening.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2015 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Good tips both, I don't have the rifle in front of me, am going to phone him this afternoon talk through the remedys posted.

John

Reading  your very good advice ,

"Not all 44s have a return spring", "be a good idea to add one if it's not there". Went back to one of my Stevens Re-print catalogs. Sure enought there is a "old style" 44 action and "new style". Old ones did not have a plunger to push the block back on opening. They also show parts for two different types of extractors one central one side.

Let you guys know how it turns out   

Boats

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2015 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
My guess is that the firing pin has to much clearance in the breech block and when the hammer comes down on it, it rocks on the retaining pin, forcing the tip up against the hole.

I only give my firing pins .002 - .005 clearance. They will move smoothly and are fully supported in the hole, if made like that and they can't break unless the pin won't retract.

They should also have a positive stop on the large diameter of the pin body, against the inside of the breech block.

To make a "bullet proof" FP, you should have a set of pin gages to measure the hole accurately. If not, you need a lathe so you can turn the dia. and try the fit untill it goes in the hole, then add the clearance.

Stevens have a lot of different firing pin body sizes, too and there is also the wear in the FP hole to allow for.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

colo native
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2015 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Boats, I had to make one for the walnut hill,  I used drill rod, or the shank  of a number drill the proper size, machined to fit,  still working,   
but dont dri fire it..

IP Logged

Chev. William

Reply #11 - Apr 23rd, 2015 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
What did the owner do for his Firing pin breaking problem?

Very curious.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #12 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
Sometimes a firing pin tip may catch the edge of the chamber as the block moves down.

My Stevens have a slight notch/divot cut into the edge of the chamber so the firing pin will slide down without catching anything.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #13 - Apr 25th, 2015 at 8:04am
Print Post  
Since their manufacture 44s have been notorious for breaking firing pins. My suggestion is to replace the tip with the correct size spring steel.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint