Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) my Borchardt (Read 9619 times)
gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

my Borchardt
Dec 31st, 2014 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Christmas was a good time for me this year as it coincided with the arrival of two old rifles.  This one was a Borchardt sporter that was reborn as a long range target rifle.   It came with the original stocks and barrel.  It was a .45-2.1" and is now a .45-2.4" with a heavy round Badger barrel.    

I don't know a lot about the rifle other than the original rifle came from Al Storey and it was reconfigured by Curt Hardcastle. 

I haven't shot it yet but will relatively soon.  It'll be interesting to load for as it has a very long freebore.  My non-tapered bullets seat only about 0.2" in the case in order to touch the rifling.

Chris.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: my Borchardt
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2015 at 2:04am
Print Post  
That long free bore is how we did it for LR shooting back before there was much in the way of brass except for 45-70.  It worked  Grin  BTW, nice rifle

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2015 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Chris,

It is a very nice and accurate rifle. I built it for a client in Southern Arizona several years ago on an original Borchardt purchased from Al. If you would like more particulars on the rifle and its features PM me.

Happy New Year.
SSS

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2015 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Thanks for building such a beautiful rifle, and thanks for the offer of information on the rifle. I will send you a pm later today. 

I believe that I bought it from the fellow that you built it for.  I didn't ask him a lot about the rifle other than a few details like length of pull and twist rate.

Chris.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Jan 1st, 2015 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
If it shoots as good as it looks, it should be a winner! Nice to get the old stocks and barrel with it too!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2015 at 1:22am
Print Post  
A very nice conversion indeed. The colour case hardening on the receiver looks like Al Storey's work. You won't regret the barrel weight when you fire it with a full powder charge and a 525+ grain bullet. I just hope it meets the weight rules for Long Range Rifle Competition, which I believe is 12lb these days. Interestingly the action was originally made (cut) for Borchardt's DST design but apparently not fitted on this action as it has the Sharps blanking plate covering the cut out section, where the DST's were supposed to go. Smiley

Harry.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2015 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Harry I'm a big fan of heavy barrels Smiley.  The current rules for NRA long range, and DCRA, is 15 lbs. This rifle is 14 lbs, and I think it'll be very close to the limit with a 23" MVA scope, hopefully not over.   Truth be told, I wasn't really looking to buy a Borchardt but was seduced by the picture on the Arizona Sharpshooters web site Smiley.   

At the moment I'm still working up a load for a different long range rifle.  It's a C. Sharps 1885 with a 32" #5 weight barrel, built around Dan Theodore's traditional paper patch .45-90 reamer. Interestingly enough, the basis for that chamber was a chamber cast done on an original Borchardt long range match rifle.  The original rifle was apparently unfired, and had been in Richard Gunn's family for many years.  Apparently one of his relatives worked at the Sharps company and was given it as a gift.

Chris.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jan 6th, 2015 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Oh, thank you for the information regarding the action being cut for DST's.  The sum of my knowledge of the Borchardt rifle comes from reading Seller's book and a few others.  I have a lot to learn yet Smiley

Chris.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jan 7th, 2015 at 9:47am
Print Post  
gunlaker wrote on Jan 6th, 2015 at 10:20am:
Oh, thank you for the information regarding the action being cut for DST's.  The sum of my knowledge of the Borchardt rifle comes from reading Seller's book and a few others.  I have a lot to learn yet Smiley
Chris.

Hello Chris,

I've been slowly gathering information about Sharps Borchardt rifles and the variants for close on 50 years. The Internet has been a great help in the last 15 years or so for me. 
One day I should write it all down but I'm so busy I seldom have the time to think never mind write. lol. I am attaching a couple of pictures of a Borchardt that was 'cut for DST's, but not fitted with them'. One with the blanking plate in place and the second showing the underside of plate detached and swinging from it's locating pin. The pictures are courtesy on my late and very valued internet friend Michael Petrov, with whom I corresponded for several years. A good number of Borchardt actions were cut for his DST's but they weren't popular. Just one of a number of engineering and sales decision errors made by the Sharps Rifle Co., which ultimately led to their demise. Cry

Harry.

« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2015 at 9:57am by »  

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jan 7th, 2015 at 11:01am
Print Post  
Excellent info, Harry. Thank you.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jan 7th, 2015 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Thank you Harry.  I wonder if they expected the double set triggers to sell better.   Or if they were just using up parts on hand to complete some of the rifles in the last days?

Chris.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jan 8th, 2015 at 1:44am
Print Post  
Chris,
It would appear that the people in charge of action production at the Sharps Factory made some bad guesses when it came to what the market would take. Whilst fairly common in Europe this design of DST wasn't at all popular with American shooters who seemed to prefer 'in line' DST's. Another complaint was that on firing the setting trigger being released and under strong spring pressure flew back and caught the trigger finger with a heavy blow which did nothing to endear it to the owner. Given the amount of club target shooting in those days one could well imagine that the word would be circulated widely in a short time. Yet a friend of mine in the USA uses one regularly and loves it.

I've never seen a price for these DST's in any Sharps Catalogue but I would have thought the price may have been relatively high as each had to be hand fitted to the action and they were serial numbered in line with the action number and were not interchangeable with another Borchardt action. 

It seems that enough people liked the standard in line DST's that several gunsmiths produced them most famously, Zischang, Schoyen, and Niedner. More recently Joe Lozito in NY was making them but I understand old age and illness has slowed him right down and there is a long, long wait for him to fit them.

When the Sharps Factory closed the NY company of Schuler, Hartley and Graham bought the stock of unsold rifles and all spares and components for both the Borchardt and earlier models. They were still selling Borchardt's by the case in 1905 a quarter of a century after the factory closed. Zischang's workshop was within easy walking distance of this company and it highly likely to have supplied all the Borchardt actions and spare parts he needed for his custom built target rifles.
I have come across dozens of pictures of these Borchardt's cut for his DST's that are only fitted with these blanking plates over the years so they are certainly not uncommon.

Harry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint