Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) an old Ballard Pacific (Read 20316 times)
gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

an old Ballard Pacific
Dec 31st, 2014 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
This showed up at my house a while ago.  It's a Ballard Pacific in .40-85 with a shotgun butt ( with the hard rubber buttplate ) and a light weight barrel.  I haven't checked to see if all of the numbers match.  The rifle looks complete and original to my very untrained eye, except that the barrel shows signs of being removed by an amateur at some point so perhaps it was swapped.   I believe that the wiping rod is the original. 

The bore condition was advertised as "good" but it was a gamble as I bought it without inspecting it as it was 2500 miles away.   I'd describe the bore as "nearly excellent"  Grin.   It's as bright and shiny as a fresh bore, but there is a very faint ring visible in the chamber that I think would not affect case extraction as I cannot feel it with a piece of copper wire.  There is also a very slight deformity in the rifling about 1" ahead of where the case mouth would be.

The rifle seems to function correctly and trigger feels very nice when set.   

Some time soon I'l do a chamber cast and order some cases as I woulds like to fire a few shots through it occasionally.   

Chris. 

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: an old Ballard Pacific
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2014 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Another:

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2014 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
gunlaker,

Very nice old Ballard Pacific that looks to be in good shooting condition. The barrel in the photo doesn't look that small, but it is hard to tell from a picture. I wonder if someone took the rear leaf sight off and put on the mid-range vernier sight. I would think it would be hard to get a sight picture using the peep and rocky mountain blade front sight.
I've attached a photo of some of my Ballard cartridge collection, the bottom row, second from right is a 40-85. The third one over is a 40-80 & the one on the right is a 40-90, all paper patch.  Gives you an idea of size.

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

rollingblock
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2014 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Very nice Ballard Gunlaker, any history to the rifle that you know of?
And Crown-C, nice Ballard cartridge collection also, thanks for the picture.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 1st, 2015 at 2:01am
Print Post  
Looks like a nice find. Smiley

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jan 1st, 2015 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Thanks for the cartridge pictures.   I don't have any history with the rifle unfortunately.   I suspect, but don't know for sure, that it came from the same estate that a few of my other single shots have come from.   I bought it from Ellwood Epps in Ontario, Canada on consignment.   When I first looked in the barrel I thought it wasn't all that good, but had a bunch of old grease in it.

I did take off the forearm last night and it, and the barrel's, serial numbers match those of the action.

Next will be to do a chamber cast.

Chris.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 1st, 2015 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Interestingly the rifle was for sale on their consignment rack for more than a year.   They also have another in .45-100, but the price is considerably higher, so I imagine that the condition is better.  I didn't ask for pictures on that one.   

Chris.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Jan 1st, 2015 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Looks like a very nice Pacific, and the hard rubber buttplate is unusual on that model. Barrel does look to be normal weight to me, and I have seen heavier, but many more that appeared similar to your gun's.
The thick base vernier is a nice option, and if you can locate a old Ballard globe, it will really add to the Pacific's accuracy! The .45-100 they have would be a pretty rare caliber, if the barrel is serial numbered to the gun!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jan 1st, 2015 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Are the original Ballard globe sights difficult to find?  I know they would be up here in Canada.  Mine is only the third Ballard I've ever seen.  I din't know why they are so uncommon up here.

I'll request pictures for the .45-100.   I believe that it, and the other single shots I've bought from Ellwood Epps, have come from the same estate sale. I've picked up a few pretty unusual rifles.

They have a really nice looking Billinghurst match gun there complete with Malcolm scope.   It's still got the false muzzle, but no mention of the original bullet mould or other tools.  It had tempted me on a few occasions.

Chris.

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Jan 1st, 2015 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Chris,

Finding a windage or spirit level globe sight here in the states is not extremely hard to come by. I have picked up a few at the big Tulsa, Oklahoma show, a few on ebay and even a couple here on the forum. You need to measure your dovetail, most Ballards are 3/8", but on occasion they can be different. Remington's are typically (at least on mine) 7/16" (5/16" are also popular) and my Windchesters are 3/8". If you really want a correct one, the Ballards have a hood which is 1/2" long. The Winchesters are 3/4" long. 
The sights will run a gambit of prices, with the spirit level being the most expensive, windage next and finally a fixed globe the least expensive. You are most likely looking at $200 (US) minimum, up to $650, with some variances due to condition.
Others on this forum may have different experiences so hopefully they will comment further.
Good luck-- but I shouldn't have to say that as you have already had a great Christmas!
Richard

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #10 - Jan 1st, 2015 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Nice Pacific, in a rare cartridge?   

My Pacific is 45-70, has the same weight barrel. Similar to the a Win #3 weight.

Rings near the chamber end of the barrel usually kill accuracy. They can be lapped out. Lot of work but worth it on such a nice rifle.   

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #11 - Jan 1st, 2015 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
I've had little trouble picking up regular globe sights for Ballards, but spirit level and windage adjustable globes I don't see often, nor can I afford them when they show up!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jan 2nd, 2015 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Joe is the .40-85 rare?  I'm about as far from a Ballard expert as can be.  All of my knowledge comes from reading Dutcher's book a couple of times Smiley

Chris.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #13 - Jan 2nd, 2015 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Just went through Dutchers book. 40-60 Ballard Everlasting is the ultra rare one. Missed it by twenty five grains, dang! 
Might check Grants chapter on the Ballard rifle.   

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #14 - Jan 2nd, 2015 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Wonderful Ballard!

I thought a Ballard #5 Pacific rifle with shotgun butt was actually a #5 1/2 "Montana" rifle...? Early catalogs simply list the #5 1/2 as "Same style and finish as #5 with shotgun butt".

Grant states that the Montana Rifle No. 5 1/2 was introduced in 1880 and discontinued in 1884 - also that it was a Pacific rifle throughout, but with shotgun butt and checkered steel buttplate - usually in .45 cal.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint