Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) an old Ballard Pacific (Read 20341 times)
gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: an old Ballard Pacific
Reply #15 - Jan 2nd, 2015 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
I think the Montana was only available in .45 2-7/8 Sharps and had very heavy barrels.  One of those would be a great find.  I think the shotgun buttplate was just an unusual option for a Pacific.

Joe I will check out Grants chapter on Ballards.  Coincidentally my wife found a used copy of that book and gave it to me for Christmas.

Chris.

IP Logged

John Rigby

Reply #16 - Jan 2nd, 2015 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
I believe that the Montana barrel will exceed the width of the receiver whereas a Pacific's barrel will be less than the width of the receiver.   

JR

John Rigby

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #17 - Jan 2nd, 2015 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Both true statements! The caliber is the .45-100 2 7/8 S. and the barrels are much heavier. One of my good friends is fortunate enough to have a 5 1/2 Montana, and it's a very impressive gun! You can easily tell the difference between it and a Pacific at a glance. Plus they all fall within a small range of serial numbers.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #18 - Jan 3rd, 2015 at 3:51am
Print Post  
My #9 has a shotgun butt stock. 

Special order?  Ballard using up parts? 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #19 - Jan 3rd, 2015 at 11:43am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jan 3rd, 2015 at 3:51am:
My #9 has a shotgun butt stock. 

Special order?  Ballard using up parts? 

More than likely a special order Joe. Marlin was very accommodating with special orders. It's one of the reasons that so many Ballard rifles defy categorizing to a certain model. All you can do with some is count up the main features, and guess what models it might align with, and the rest were likely special order. The Europeans loved shotgun style buttplates, and I occasionally see Ballards with those buttplates, and proofmarks from one of the European countries.
And those types of guns really intrigue me! I love the Ballards that have unique special order features.

IP Logged

rustyrelx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #20 - Jan 3rd, 2015 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Joe: Is there a possibility that you #9 with shotgun buttplate is a #4 1/2. That would be the description for a 4 1/2.
Montana Ballards # 5 1/2 have a barrel that about 1/8" larger than the frame all around so its much heavier. 45-2 7/8  S (100) is absolutely correct and so marked on top of the barrel. To date this is the only caliber to which the Montana rifle is attributed. According to the books only caliber done in the Montana. It has definately a "splinter" fore end. They are at least 14 lbs or heavier depending on barrel length.
The pacific in 40-85 would make it a later Paciific and should be marked on top of the barrel. Some were not but all the 40-85's I have seen were. Not that rare of a caliber but fun to shoot. 80-90 grains 1F black and a 370 grain projectile would be about right for this caliber. Variable would be the brass thickness.
Head size is .477 projectile would be .410. 410 was used in most all 40 cal Ballards.
Westerner, you want to see an origional 40-60 Ballard come on over. I have a Mid Range in it with a most excellent bore. Can tell evolution is happening as it uses the smaller head size of .457 so I use 30-40 Krag cases trimmed to size. Indeed it is a rare caliber. Most all I have ever heard of were in 4 1/2's.
Ballards are interesting rifles as just when you think you have some figured out along comes a model that is different. I have vigorously chased Ballards for over 50 years. I bought my first Ballard, a Pacific in 1960, A 45 Govt. I got hooked.....now I can't stop.
  Don             rustyrelx
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2015 at 12:39pm by rustyrelx »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #21 - Jan 3rd, 2015 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Hey Don, aren't the 4 1/2 Ballards in larger calibers than the #9?

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #22 - Jan 3rd, 2015 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Great post, Don. 

When Schuetzenmeister owned the #9 I thought it was a 4 1/2.  When I got my mitts on it spent about a week trying to figure out exactly what it is. Nothing quite matched. A few features matched as #9. Last time I was at Etna Green, showed it to Bob Carrow. As I handed the rifle to him, he said "nice #9". Coulda knocked me over with a feather. 

I often wonder if these type rifles were special ordered or if Ballard made them that way on there own.  Has sling swivels and a barrel sight, but also has improved midrange and Windgauge front sight. 

I think it was originally a hunting rifle. Caliber is 40-50SS. 

Sorry for the thread derail.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #23 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jan 3rd, 2015 at 5:34pm:
Great post, Don. 

When Schuetzenmeister owned the #9 I thought it was a 4 1/2.  When I got my mitts on it spent about a week trying to figure out exactly what it is. Nothing quite matched. A few features matched as #9. Last time I was at Etna Green, showed it to Bob Carrow. As I handed the rifle to him, he said "nice #9". Coulda knocked me over with a feather. 

I often wonder if these type rifles were special ordered or if Ballard made them that way on there own.  Has sling swivels and a barrel sight, but also has improved midrange and Windgauge front sight. 

I think it was originally a hunting rifle. Caliber is 40-50SS. 

Sorry for the thread derail.

Joe.

With that caliber, I think it could be a #4 1/2 also. Not that there couldn't be a special order caliber for a #9, but if you add up the caliber, and the buttplate, it makes more sense to be a #4 1/2, than a #9 with special order buttplate, and caliber.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Don,
Since this thread was started about a Pacific, I was wondering if you have any info on why some Pacifics have straight octagon barrels and why they also have tuliped barrels?

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Don, my rifle has .40-85 marked on top of the barrel, just as you described.   

My plan is to do a chamber cast and get some RMC brass made up and then load a few cartridges with Fg and a 370gr patched, bore diameter bullet. 

It's another rifle that I doubt I'll ever shoot much, but I do like taking my original single shots to the range on a sunny Sunday.  The guys I shoot with will probably appreciate the Ballard as there seem to be so few in my part of the world.

Chris.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #26 - Jan 7th, 2015 at 9:58am
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Jan 4th, 2015 at 4:41pm:
Don,
Since this thread was started about a Pacific, I was wondering if you have any info on why some Pacifics have straight octagon barrels and why they also have tuliped barrels?

Frank

From what I've encountered with Ballard barrels in different octagon styles; the difference has been barrel weight or caliber. The Ballards I've owned or examined without a tulip were larger calibers like .45, or heavier barrel weights. I assumed the tulip would hang out over the receiver, so they eliminated it. My Pacific in .45-70 doesn't have the tulip, but a previous Pacific I owned in .38-55 did. Can't say I've ever seen a Pacific in .38 caliber that didn't have the tulip, but haven't seen a heavy barreled .38 Pacific either.
I've seen the same in other Ballard models also. Had #4 Perfections in larger .45 that didn't have a tulip, but smaller calibers that did. Even the little #3 Ballard had both styles. I have mostly #3's with tulip barrels, but I have one without. The last #3 I bought late last year has an extra heavy barrel, but is also tulip, and the tulip hangs just over the concave top on the late style #3 receiver. The one without tulip is a extra heavy barrel, but has an early flat top receiver.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Jan 7th, 2015 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Does the above answer make perfectly good sense? Frank, thanks for asking. Marlin, thanks for the answer. Learned something.
Chuck

IP Logged

rustyrelx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #28 - Jan 11th, 2015 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
marlinguy:         Every #9 that I have ever seen was marked on top of the barrel. I had a #10 at one time in 40-63 and so marked and it "should have been a 38-55 or 32-40". Yes #9's "should" be in 32 or 38 but special ordered can throw anything out there.

frnkeore:         I think the tulip is on the lighter barrels to keep weight down. If of no concerne it was straight or maybe ordered straight for weight.

I'm guessing here so don't take it as fact but I think the difference between the 4 1/2 buttstock and the #9 buttstock is the 4 1/2 had no cheek rest and #9 does. So that's my opinion. But if it actually was a special ordered #9 with a shotgun butt, which was an option by the way, it may or may not have a cheek rest. But if its in a larger caliber I would lean toward the 4 1/2 ,40 and above, smaller caliber the 9, 38 and below.
   Don                    rustyrelx

IP Logged

Hi-Wall56

Reply #29 - Jan 11th, 2015 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
I have been waiting for the issue of a cheek rest to come up. I'm sure no authority but have never seen a 4 1/2 that had a cheek rest nor have I ever seen a 9 that did not have one.
Does the rifle have a cheek rest?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint