Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Lyman Super target spot scope (Read 8889 times)
gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Lyman Super target spot scope
Reply #15 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
corerftech wrote on Feb 25th, 2016 at 9:39pm:
Chris, that's what I wanted to hear. 

It's better.

And also "to be more traditional", that's good too.

They look good on a. Big fat octagon barrel too.

Thank you for the info. Excellent

I should add that I wrote "more traditional" rather than traditional as, as far as I can tell, a lot of the popular external adjustment scopes weren't actually around in the early days of schuetzen shooting.

Chris.

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 6:59am
Print Post  
Quote:
I personally don't care for recoil springs that .  .  .

Marlin Guy is correct to call the spring the " Recoil  Spring " since that is the terminology that the designer and manufacturer uses to refer to it in the Lyman Products instructional literature.

Should there be any Wordsmiths on this bulletin board, we would more correctly use the terminology " Dampening Spring " which is a more accurate description of what the device actually achieves during its operation.  ( Huh)

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 9:41am
Print Post  
Another "thing" about the external adj LYman, Unertl, etc scopes: Particularly with precision shooting,  When you pull the scope back into battery after each shot, you should also
rotate the scope "against" the rib, always in the same direction.
This is because there can be just a tad of play between the rib and the notch in the front mount.
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 10:03am
Print Post  
corerftech
The responses to your query are all accurate, including the cool factor. There are however two additional points contributing to use of externally adjustable scopes that may broaden the overall picture. For decades, externally adjustable target scopes were the best available. Single shot shooters (me included) hung on to using them long after alternatives were available (the cool factor). The second point is the traditional class of single shot (schuetzen) rifles requires their use. Three schuetzen organizations publish traditional class rifle rules (ASSRA, ISSA, & WSU). All three specify the use of externally adjustable scopes for any sight matches.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint