Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 2nd model maynard case (Read 4576 times)
ron
Oldtimer

2nd model maynard case
Nov 22nd, 2014 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
I have brass for a 2nd model Maynard that I have been helping a friend with. We are having problems with ignition of the powder. The plastic cases that he has work, the flash hole is .055". The new brass that he has came with a .020 flash hole. I have enlarged the hole to .055" but still have no ignition . This work was preformed in a lathe using collets, so I know the holes are on center.

My question is. Can anyone tell me the size of the flash hole was on the original? Modern brass use large rifle primers so I know the size of the hole.

Your thought please.

ron

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 2nd model maynard case
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Somewhere I have an original  56 caliber Maynard shot shell.  If I can find it I'll measure the flash hole if I can.  They are pretty tiny.  I'm wondering what brass you have.  I have about 80 brass cases or my 2nd model Maynard carbine and have never had a problem.  They were all made by LodgeWood.   

George

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Ron, the original Maynard flash holes were quite small when new- about .034" diameter or so. I have an original percussion sporting gun with a platinum lined flash hole and it has not eroded much if at all and it is in the mid-.030's. They are hard to measure, I don't have pin gages or drill bits that small.

The holes in the cases were about the same size. When I repair burned out flash holes in percussion frames with a high temp stainless liner I drill the new flash hole at .046" diameter. That is the size I specified for the flash holes in the last cases I bought from Charlie Hahn. Some people specify smaller holes in their cases and he does those also.

If you have .055" flash holes in the cases and are having misfires I would look elsewhere. Check the alignment of the barrel to the frame. Make sure it locks up tight. Check the headspace, if it is excessive then the flash can get by the case head and not go thru the flash hole. The headspace should be about .031". You can measure it with feeler gages. Put a thin piece of paper between an empty case and the frame then snap a cap. See where the flash burns the paper or if it burns the paper. If the mainspring is weak then the pressure in the nipple can lift the hammer and release the flash instead of forcing it through the flash hole. The same thing can happen with a deformed or rough nipple.

Let me know how it works out.

IP Logged

ron
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 7:47am
Print Post  
Thanks Deadeye

My friend will be gone for a week so the next time we meet at the range we will try what you recommend. I did use pin gages to check the original hole and the burn mark around the flash hole looked centered. I will check the head thickness of both the plastic and brass cases also.

ron

IP Logged

Dr.Maynard
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 7:46am
Print Post  
Quote:
Ron, the original Maynard flash holes were quite small when new- about .034" diameter or so. I have an original percussion sporting gun with a platinum lined flash hole and it has not eroded much if at all and it is in the mid-.030's. They are hard to measure, I don't have pin gages or drill bits that small.

The holes in the cases were about the same size. When I repair burned out flash holes in percussion frames with a high temp stainless liner I drill the new flash hole at .046" diameter. That is the size I specified for the flash holes in the last cases I bought from Charlie Hahn. Some people specify smaller holes in their cases and he does those also.

Dead Eye Bly--

Up until recently, S & S listed their Maynard repro nipples in carbon steel and  stainless steel.  They also have had original Maynard nipples and I understood they had all been sold.  According to the S & S online catalog, the original nipples are still available.

What is new from S & S are repro Maynard nipples fabbed by AMPCO from Berylliumcopper @ ~ $10 per copy.  It would be nice if AMPCO got the specification right on the original Mass Arms period thread.

If the AMPCO nipples are made from A83 alloy, they are only 2.0 per-cent Beryllium.  Thus, the health risk in machining is negligible with a proper fumes/dust mask employed by the operator.

ref;

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Webb
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2015 at 8:21am by »  

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 8:34am
Print Post  
Webb, the manufacturer of those nice stainless nipples we've used for years has quit making them and has said he is not interested in making them again at any price. The carbon steel ones just do not seem to hold up as well. The Ampco ones hold up well but can be difficult to remove if left in place for long periods of time. I think galvanic corrosion from dissimilar metals is the culprit. I have some of the Ampco nipples for Maynards and they fit the original thread well. No one has ever duplicated the Maynard thread exactly. It is a 1mm pitch thread of 55 deg Whitworth form. Fortunately the thread is short enough that small pitch differences matter little and the new production ones fit and seal well.

The Ampco alloy used on the nipples does not contain berylium. It is Ampco 18 alloy, an aluminum bronze. Just the name Ampco to many people means berylium but it is just not so, most of their products don't have any berylium at all.

IP Logged

Dr.Maynard
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Quote:
The Ampco alloy used on the nipples does not contain berylium. It is Ampco 18 alloy, an aluminum bronze. Just the name Ampco to many people means berylium but it is just not so, most of their products don't have any berylium at all.

Thanks much, John, for the information you've provided !

I am one of the people that you mentioned who believed that all Ampco nipples are made from Beryllium.  I think it's a carry-over from my muzzleloader days, although I mostly competed with flint ignition. (I alway used S.S. vent liners).

I looked at the original Maynard nipples at S & S's shop but didn't buy one.  I may have to get one in March when I see them again, just for the fact of having a piece of Maynard history.

Best regards,
Webb

IP Logged

Dr.Maynard
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 16th, 2015 at 11:38am
Print Post  

Fortunate to have located old stock of Ampco musket size nipples which are alleged to be machined from the original beryllium alloy.  Now to match up the thread size for the original Maynard thread.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint