Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Nearly Finished CPA (Read 5489 times)
JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Nearly Finished CPA
May 5th, 2014 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
It's all done but the grip checkering.  That can wait until next winter.  The plan now is to shoot as much lead down the barrel as I can this summer.  I started out with a rough turned Douglas barrel blank, a nice piece of Oregon walnut, and an action.  I chambered it in 32-20 WCF.  Load development is still in progress.  It shows possibilities so far.  The large target is a fluke; I shot it with the aperture sights at 90 yards and haven't been able to repeat it.  The smallest group was shot with an Accurate Molds 312133b, 7.4 grains of old WW 540MS and WW pistol primers.  The other group was shot with the Lyman 311410 and same powder charge.  Both of these were shot with a target scope.  It will be fun trying some serious work at 200 yds.

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Re: Nearly Finished CPA
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2014 at 9:51am
Print Post  
Very nice! Which butt is that?

IP Logged

rkaires
Frequent Elocutionist

No Stronger Bond

Reply #2 - May 6th, 2014 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Very nice indeed! It looks like a model 49 stock.

ASSRA #11031
NRA Life
Proud Noodlehead

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands
around reloading."~ ~ Thomas Jefferson

IP Logged

Lefty38-55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2014 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
That stock looks like my recent CPA acquisition, which was a model 52 stock.

All of my single shots shoot one tiny ragged hole with cast bullets ... it's just the following shots that tend to open up my groups Wink ...

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 6th, 2014 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
SBoomer wrote on May 6th, 2014 at 9:51am:
Very nice! Which butt is that?

It's a number 49 buttstock.  One of the more sensible things I did was send the buttstock off to CPA to profile it.  They did a great job.  The tang inletting was excellent and I am very fussy about that.  I hate gaps in the wood to metal fit.
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2014 at 11:31pm by JS47 »  

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - May 7th, 2014 at 7:20am
Print Post  
Stockerman, could you give us some specs on the barrel and is your ammo fixed or bs?
Thanks
Sam

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 8th, 2014 at 12:38am
Print Post  
nuclearcricket wrote on May 7th, 2014 at 7:20am:
Stockerman, could you give us some specs on the barrel and is your ammo fixed or bs?
Thanks
Sam

The barrel is a Douglas 16 twist.  It was marked 32 S&W.  The ammo is fixed.  I use a neck bushing die I made and an inline seating die, the Hornady die with a seating sleave I made using the chamber reamer.  The bullet is one I designed somewhat similar to the Lyman 311410.  I size it in a .313 die and use NRA formula lube.  I made a size die with the 1 1/2 degree throater I used in the chamber.  It puts a taper on the first band that matches the chamber throat.  Since I have a extra lubrisizer I size and lube as usual first and then run the bullet into the taper die nose first.  I haven't determined yet whether this helps accuracy or not but will do that this summer.  Alaska winter days are short and nights are long. Gives a guy lots of time to think up things to do.  I have an attic full of hindsights.  One of them is that I should have asked Tom at Accurate Molds if he could cut the front band at a 1 1/2 degree taper.  He makes a very good mold in my opinion.  

John Shaw

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint