Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Lyman 103 variations (Read 25209 times)
BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Lyman 103 variations
Reply #45 - Mar 29th, 2014 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote Quote:
...Those who just HAD to have a tang sight with windage adjustment could buy a #1 with the special windage stem, making it a #52, or if they already had a #1 or 2, buy that same stem (#47) alone--Lyman aimed to please.

Redsetter,

I don't know that Lyman ever marketed a #52 tang sight.
When someone wanted to purchase a complete tang sight assembly that incorporated the #47 windage stem, the sight base Lyman used was the 1A/2A style base using the side lock, hence the "A" suffix for the "52A" tang sight.
I've never run across any literature showing that Lyman ever sold the earlier version #1 or #2 loop spring style base with the #47 stem as a complete packaged sight (though someone could have placed a special order specifically requesting a #47 stem be shipped installed in the earlier style base).
So if you have the earlier #1 or #2 loop spring style base with a #47 stem in it, it's most likely that someone swapped the stems after the separate components had left the Lyman factory.
Hopefully, this note will help to eliminate some possible confusion for those who are just beginning to try to learn about and become familiar with the small but important details regarding these sights.
      Smiley

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Mar 29th, 2014 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 6:15pm:
I don't know that Lyman ever marketed a #52 tang sight.
When someone wanted to purchase a complete tang sight assembly that incorporated the #47 windage stem, the sight base Lyman used was the 1A/2A style base using the side lock, hence the "A" suffix for the "52A" tang sight.
I've never run across any literature showing that Lyman ever sold the earlier version #1 or #2 loop spring style base with the #47 stem as a complete packaged sight (though someone could have placed a special order specifically requesting a #47 stem be shipped installed in the earlier style base).
So if you have the earlier #1 or #2 loop spring style base with a #47 stem in it, it's most likely that someone swapped the stems after the separate components had left the Lyman factory.
Hopefully, this note will help to eliminate some possible confusion for those who are just beginning to try to learn about and become familiar with the small but important details regarding these sights.
      Smiley

My mistake, left out the "A".  Closest I ever came to acquiring one of these was the repro made by that outfit having these & other sights mfg. somewhere in Europe; drug my feet too long & they went out of business.

The few originals I've handled all had excessive play in the stem--windage you DON'T want, if you're really going to shoot with it.
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2014 at 6:47pm by Redsetter »  

IP Logged

SgtDog0311
Senior Forum Member

Reply #47 - Aug 7th, 2024 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
What helpful thread.   Thank You!

Best Regards,
John

IP Logged

GeneB
Participating Member

Reply #48 - Aug 19th, 2024 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
It’s usually not a good idea to resurrect a very old thread, but I hadn't seen it before, and I have some information to add.

BP wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 6:15pm:
I don't know that Lyman ever marketed a #52 tang sight...I've never run across any literature showing that Lyman ever sold the earlier version #1 or #2 loop spring style base with the #47 stem as a complete packaged sight.
They actually did, but I have only seen this one example in many years of looking at sights. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) 
It's the type with the loop spring and it is made so it can be folded both ways, unlike most Lyman's with this base. It is only labeled No 52 on the box. It is in some of the older catalogs - a 1914~1915 catalog has only the 52A listed, later catalogs have the No 52's listed, just the No 47 stems.

There's more information on the No 47 stems here - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

A note on the No 103's with small base they could put in 1.125" hole spacing so they could be mounted on a Marlin without the need of adding an extra hole as required for the later larger base versions. I have three with 1.125 hole spacing, one is for a Savage 22 pump and another has no code stamped on it but will fit at least the Marlin Models 1889, 1894 & 1893 and is the correct height.  The third will fit Savage or Marlin 22 rifles but is actually a cut down one for Winchester Model 1890's with a new hole added at 1.125". It is a little tall for the Savage possibly needing a taller front sight but look correct for the Marlins. 

With the 1.125" access to the rear hole is limited and some standard screws will not go in the rear hole, and you can't get a screwdriver on it straight unless the post is removed. 

One for a Model 1903 Savage.

Note that it has the small base but has the earlier design post & stem like later large base No 103's, it is marked "PATENT PENDING" so it could be from before the application date of the 1916 patent.

The 1907 patent for the earlier post & stem - 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint