Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) COMPENSATING FOR WIND DRIFT (Read 22908 times)
JackHughs
Oldtimer

Re: COMPENSATING FOR WIND DRIFT
Reply #45 - Feb 28th, 2014 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Feb 28th, 2014 at 6:36pm:

Something that's not been addressed, that goes along with wind doping is light angle and brightness. A light change can make the target appear to be in a different place than it actually is, similar to mirage but, much slower. If your holding for a wind condition and the light changes, the impact will also change. 

Frank

Many years ago, I came across a very helpful article in one of the shooting magazines regarding the effect of incident light on apparent target location.  A person placed a target downrange and a firmly-mounted riflescope at the firing line.  Each hour during the day, he plotted the position of the crosshairs on the target. 

The apparent position of the target does move - and quite a bit at that.

I've tried to find that article many times with no success.  Does anyone else remember seeing this?

JackHughs 

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Feb 28th, 2014 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Yes I do but I don't remember where?

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Feb 28th, 2014 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
Throw in temp as a variable too, not only affects the velocity of the bullet, sun hitting a cold range in the morning sets up rising wind thats not related to anything else. Brief but real.

Think I first noticed this on a deer stand in the Mountains. Dead calm and cold. Soon as the valley below gets sunlight draft you can feel comes up the hill.  Our club silhouette range has a deep dip with a wetland bottom between about 130 and 180 yards sun gets up enough to hit it air rises until the temps even out.

Boats

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Feb 28th, 2014 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Boats that was already laid on the table in an earlier post, but I am not sure it was grasped by all so thanks for sharing it again. 

JLouis

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #49 - Feb 28th, 2014 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
I believe my initial comment was to illustrate the challenge requires the knowledge and the practice. 
While single shot competition is, admittedly, not my forte, I still manage to put 10,000-15,000 rounds down range over flags practicing both, winter and summer.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #50 - Mar 1st, 2014 at 12:58am
Print Post  
Tim it is not the quantity of how many shots one puts down range it's the quality of knowlege being gained from each individual one. It is also my belief that one can shoot to much at a learning session based on my personnel experience. It can actually start providing negative results such as a lack of confidence in what you have already proven to work and a disruption to the positive muscle memory process that is continualy being developed. These comments are in regards to very serious plainbase bullet benchrest shooting. If it were in regards to strickly offhand competition then quantity would indeed in my opionion be an advantage.

JLouis
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2014 at 1:32am by JLouis »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #51 - Mar 1st, 2014 at 1:21am
Print Post  
I have been noticing that as the amount of responses increase in a topic the more they tend to pertain to just the last one posted in lieu of what has already been shared prior to by the entire participating  group. I find myself guilty of doing the same if I do not take the time to go back to the start and re-read them all.

JLouis

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #52 - Mar 1st, 2014 at 2:13am
Print Post  
There have been many comments on the wind. As has been pointed out that is just one of the many, many factors we are faced with. With all of the factors we have to try and remember, meticulous records should always be kept at the range. By meticulous, every little factor should be recorded. Over time we build up a wealth of information we can go back to and see what took place under varying conditions and see patterns develop. I know I can't trust my ol" brain to remember all those things over the years of shooting. Why is it one normally does best on their home range? They know the conditions and how to read them for the best results. At our club range, there are very few that use wind flags, they think they can read my set. That just doesn't work, using someone else's flags for bullets path of travel. If there are on occasions several sets of flags, none are doing the same thing, we have a tree line on one side, and berms on another side, the wind does strange things at our club range. 

Bob

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #53 - Mar 1st, 2014 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Mar 1st, 2014 at 12:58am:
Tim it is not the quantity of how many shots one puts down range it's the quality of knowlege being gained from each individual one. It is also my belief that one can shoot to much at a learning session based on my personnel experience. It can actually start providing negative results such as a lack of confidence in what you have already proven to work and a disruption to the positive muscle memory process that is continualy being developed. These comments are in regards to very serious plainbase bullet benchrest shooting. If it were in regards to strickly offhand competition then quantity would indeed in my opionion be an advantage.

JLouis

The principles of wind impact, discussed here are by no means limited to plain base cast bullets. All benchrest shooting is impacted, more or less, by the same influences in the  atmosphere.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #54 - Mar 1st, 2014 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Tim totally agree its common knowledge but this being primarily a site dedicated to Schuetzen Shooting I did not feel that it would pertain. Their wind effects are minute in comparison and mixing the two could provide confusion to the new shooters as the topic moves forward.

JLouis

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #55 - Mar 1st, 2014 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
In real life it's fun to watch the near flags flying left, the mid flags flying right and the flags at the target (on the sides) flying AT EACHOTHER.

Is the wind coming to you or going away?

Shoot the spotter, shoot the target.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

MikeT
Senior Forum Member

Reply #56 - Mar 2nd, 2014 at 11:40am
Print Post  
One thing should be clear by now, to anyone reading this thread, that the measuring devises [flags, scopes, meters, etc] give only a clue to what will actually happen to your bullet on the way to the target.  In my opinion, the numerous factors that go into understanding these clues that are gathered at the range prior to breaking the shot, will mess with your mind if you try to track too many of them.  I personally, use mirage and the flags to verify the mirage clues, but even with these observations, I need to take a shot down range to actually calibrate what I am seeing.  Boats said, “Still best way to see what the effect of wind is, bullet on the sighter target. Nothing is as accurate as actual shots falling”.  That has been my experience also.

No doubt, mistakes will be made during a match.  To win, you just need to make fewer mistakes than the other guys shooting the match.  

John Louis said “I believe wind flows in layers just as water in a river does.”  In an actual BPTR Long Range match, a shooter was just outside the X ring in the 10 ring.  Based on the center of his grouping he needed a ˝ minute more elevation to get into the X ring, the adjustment was made and the shot just caught the black.  The problem was, the air layer that the bullet now had to traverse was not running in the same direction as the previous lower layer.  Sometimes you just have to settle for a good score instead of trying for the great score.  This may not happen in the 200 yard match, but it could.  I hope some of you good shooters will give us newbies some of your strategies for shooting Schuetzen Matches.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #57 - Mar 2nd, 2014 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Mike hit it you can go crazy with indicators. Simple method that works is observe a couple of indicators whatever is best that day. Pick the most favorable and most adverse condition. Fire a few slighter shots in each. See how bad the adverse is.  Then fire when it's favorable.

I like natural indicators dust from strikes off the berm powder smoke at the firing line black powder is great for this, and best of all mirage.  I don't trust flags I don't know.

Boats

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #58 - Mar 2nd, 2014 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
In regards to Schuetzen any sight benchrest the first thing I do prior to going to the score target is to insure I have a dead wind zero eatablished so that my hold off is equally the same on both sides of the 25 Ring. One this has been verified I will place a couple of shots for both a 9&3 o'clock wind while holding on the number 22 at both above mentioned locations on the target for future referance should the need arise. Then a couple in the 25 ring while holding off for my favorite conditions and then I 'am off to the record targets and making any additional adjustments as I go while the varibles are changing. I try not to go back to the sighter once the rifle has settled in the bags but I will if need be without any hesitation. I have learned to shoot 5 conditions over the years and all of them with confidence so it is not often that I need to return to sighter. I also keep an eye on my verticle dispersion as the temperature rises and if need be I will tweak the powder charge a tad in order to stay up with changes. I hope this information is helpful as this has been my approach and it has worked well for me over the years. I might add that others who have also been succesful might use an entirely different approach as there is more than one way to skin a cat you just need to find the one that works best for you and have total confidence in.

JLouis

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #59 - Mar 2nd, 2014 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
John I do the same thing you do for elevation match day. Break a few shots high just to see were they go. Few low ones too. I want them to make holes exactly were I broke the shot. Break a high one hit center something's going on I need to figure out before shooting for record.   

Cold morning you will often get low strikes first relay. Later in the afternoon our latitude we can get a 30 degree rise in Temp. Today for example it was just at freezing early. 66 degrees this afternoon. My rifle that's nearly 2 moa difference, Or one minute low one minute high from my standard offhand 200 yard zero. 

Offhand one minute is not a match spoiler but zero for 1 low temp climbs to make strikes 1 high. Your groups at 200 are 4 inches from being centered.   
That's enough to keep you out of the running

Boats

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint