Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) winchester A-5 (Read 6106 times)
Hank45
Oldtimer

Beer is living proof that
GOD loves you

winchester A-5
Feb 28th, 2014 at 7:31am
Print Post  
what would a Winchester a-5 scope with mounts, excellent optics cost today?  Thanks, Hank45

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Re: winchester A-5
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2014 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Look up the price at MVA their scope is Identical to the A5s.

40 Rod

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2014 at 9:06am
Print Post  
40 Rod's advice is good

Take the MVA about 600 dollar price as a bench mark then figure the original scope based on condition more or less. Only thing the internet sniper crowd has run prices on Winchester A5's up. If not looking for original I would (and have) go for the new MVA. It's a nice scope.

Boats

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2014 at 10:02am
Print Post  
boats wrote on Feb 28th, 2014 at 9:06am:

Take the MVA about 600 dollar price as a bench mark then figure the original scope based on condition more or less. ...
Boats

Almost certainly more on ebay, thanks to the sniper-morons (who should be drafted & sent to Afghanistan to act out their sniping fantasies).  Modern coated lenses are incomparably superior to those used in the A5.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2014 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Exactly pay MVA prices for old one you won't get the glass and may be liable for expensive repairs from some one who will take a year to fix it.

Boats

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2014 at 10:56am
Print Post  
I guess it comes down to whether you're wanting a correct scope for a collectable Winchester, or a neat looking copy with better optics for a shooting gun. 
From what I've seen a like new original seems to go higher than the MVA price for a modern copy with better optics. I'm just glad I have a couple A5's already, as I can't afford the crazy prices they're getting in recent years.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2014 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
IIRC, the Winchester A-5 was deliberately made with some offsetting optical problems to prevent unauthorized or unlicensed repairs.   Why sign up for something that could become unusable?

As an owner of other antique scopes, I have come to the "enough is enough" stage.  I am thinking about an MVA.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 28th, 2014 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Me too, have had it with old stuff that causes trouble. Scopes are not rifles, they are hard for the average guy to fix.  Goes wrong you are stuck with a very few qualified people to get it back on line.

Boats

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 28th, 2014 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Feb 28th, 2014 at 9:30pm:
IIRC, the Winchester A-5 was deliberately made with some offsetting optical problems to prevent unauthorized or unlicensed repairs.

This is a myth, though compared with other scopes (esp. Lyman's 5A), they're unnecessarily complicated.  Still, it would be ridiculous to acquire one (at a high price) for match shooting, or any other kind of routine use.

IP Logged

Dr Tom

Reply #9 - Feb 28th, 2014 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
No myth. The designer was an Ivy League professor who was more worried about his patents being stolen than the quality of the image. When Lyman acquired the Winchester line, they greatly improved the lens prescription. I own the A5 that was ordered/delivered with one of my High Walls. It's in the vault. The gun now wears a 5A. The difference is night and day. My 5A is neither more nor less complicated than my A5. If a modern small objective scope with coated lenses is a 10, my 5A is a 7 and my A5 is a 2.

Note that I've chosen the word "my". The Lyman went through a number of running changes that were not cataloged. I haven't seen all of the variations, so my comments are limited to my scopes.

For a given focal length, the larger the objective lens diameter the higher the resolution. Don't unfairly compare either of these scopes with a 2" Unertl, an STS or a modern 40 or 50mm. The laws of physics dictate that the little guys can't ever be as good.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 1st, 2014 at 12:25am
Print Post  
Dr Tom wrote on Feb 28th, 2014 at 11:09pm:
No myth. The designer was an Ivy League professor who was more worried about his patents being stolen than the quality of the image. When Lyman acquired the Winchester line, they greatly improved the lens prescription. I own the A5 that was ordered/delivered with one of my High Walls. It's in the vault. The gun now wears a 5A. The difference is night and day. My 5A is neither more nor less complicated than my A5. If a modern small objective scope with coated lenses is a 10, my 5A is a 7 and my A5 is a 2.

The "Ivy League Professor" had NO patents pertaining to the A5--they were all held by Winchester engineers, & pertained to mechanical details, not optical design; read them yourself.  The patented mechanism for holding the lens cells in place within the tube is MUCH more complicated & trouble prone than in the 5A; take your A5 apart if you doubt this.   

The only changes made over the years by Lyman were in their mounts--the guts of the scope were the same from start to finish.

Surprised by the difference you find between your scopes--I've not noticed such drastic differences between the several A5s & 5As I've owned; after cleaning, at least.  Being older, A5s tend to be dirtier, & thus less bright, but both Winchester & Lyman used B&L lenses of comparable quality.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #11 - Mar 1st, 2014 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on Feb 28th, 2014 at 9:32pm:
Me too, have had it with old stuff that causes trouble. Scopes are not rifles, they are hard for the average guy to fix.  Goes wrong you are stuck with a very few qualified people to get it back on line.

Boats

Based on your theory Boats, we should be shooting strictly iron sights, maybe even just a rocky mountain blade, and not those vernier tang sights with all the moving parts! Wink
I own and shoot my guns with mostly older scopes, and I haven't had any failures yet. I do try not to bang them around, or drop them though. Smiley

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Dr Tom

Reply #12 - Mar 2nd, 2014 at 1:49am
Print Post  
Redsetter, As you state, Winchester the corporation never patented anything; their engineers did. People can apply for patents. Corporations cannot. All of my patents (strangely enough, in the field of optics) are in my name. In separate documents unrelated to the patent office or the patenting process, some of them are assigned to my employer or, in one case, to someone that I have never met. Since Winchester farmed out the glass work, patent docs would not necessarily be traceable back to Winchester without having the assignment docs as well. Presumably, Cody has those. That said, I could have used the word "design" instead of "patent" and the effect would be the same. The story is very well known.

Now about A5 and 5A. I've had more than a few of each apart. My oldest 5A IS MECHANICALLY IDENTICAL 1N EVERY SINGLE RESPECT to my A5. (This was kinda the reason that I emphasized the word "my" in my earlier post.) All of the parts of this 5A interchange with an A5 with one exception which amounts to about 0.006". As the 5A matured (after they used up the Winchester parts that they inherited) it was simplified. Hence my noting the "running changes". A close friend in Houston has a 5A with Winchester glass in addition to the Winchester mechanicals. I don't know how rare these are. Does anyone?
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2014 at 2:00am by Dr Tom »  

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Mar 2nd, 2014 at 9:54am
Print Post  
Dr Tom wrote on Mar 2nd, 2014 at 1:49am:
Presumably, Cody has those.... The story is very well known.

If so, they are WELL hidden, because Campbell reproduced EVERY scrap of A5-related paper that could be found at Cody.  What's "well-known," I believe, is Winchester's advertising hype, uncritically repeated so many times that it's now become received wisdom.  What's surprising about a company distorting the truth about its products?  The properties of a lens can be measured on an optical bench by an optical engineer; where, then, would a "secret" lie?  (Except as to the chemical composition of the glass itself.)

Dr Tom wrote on Mar 2nd, 2014 at 1:49am:
Now about A5 and 5A. I've had more than a few of each apart. My oldest 5A IS MECHANICALLY IDENTICAL 1N EVERY SINGLE RESPECT to my A5. (This was kinda the reason that I emphasized the word "my" in my earlier post.) All of the parts of this 5A interchange with an A5 with one exception which amounts to about 0.006". As the 5A matured (after they used up the Winchester parts that they inherited) it was simplified. 

Yes, I'm well aware that Lyman used up old Winchester parts--I once saw a Winchester tube that had "Winchester" blotted out & Lyman's name stamped beside it!  And the very earliest Lyman advertising showed the 5A in "grasshopper" mounts.  But using up old parts blurs the A5/5A distinction; I'd call a tube filled with A5 parts an "inherited" A5 even if Lyman's name is stamped on the tube--it's a quibble over definitions, obviously.  Within a very short time, these old parts were used up & the "true" 5A was born--that's the one I referred to as not changing from first to last. 

IP Logged

Dr Tom

Reply #14 - Mar 2nd, 2014 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
I totally agree!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint