Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) COMPENSATING FOR WIND DRIFT (Read 22861 times)
joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

COMPENSATING FOR WIND DRIFT
Feb 26th, 2014 at 5:36am
Print Post  

This is about bench rest shooting cast bullets at current = 2014 accuracy levels.

The wind moves the bullet and the bullet hole on the target-wind drift. The target shooter must compensate for wind drift to shoot better targets.

There are three compensation tactics:

The shooter facing no time limits can wait for no-wind = zero wind drift, and shoot only in no-wind. 

The shooter facing time limits can identify a set of same-wind conditions =wind flag attitudes, and shoot only in those same conditions.

If, as the time limit approaches and no-wind/same-wind conditions don't happen/enough; then varying-wind conditions happen and the shooter must hold-off for one or more shots. 

The rational accuracy-maximizing shooter facing no time limits will ALWAYS and ONLY use the no-wind tactic. The shooting match then becomes a test of patience, and many fail.
When that rational accuracy-maximizer faces time limits, he will use no-wind, then same-wind, then varying-wind tactics, in that order, as conditions allow and the time limit approaches. No-wind is easier and more accurate than same-wind is easier and more accurate than varying-wind.

(Note that the group match requires small groups while the score match requires small groups correctly centered. I think that group shooting is always easier than score shooting.) 

IP Logged

7groove
Ex Member

Re: COMPENSATING FOR WIND DRIFT
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Joe-
I agree with everything you mention with the exception, "group shooting is always easier than score shooting." For example, a score target at 200 yards has a center of 1.500", that is the error allowance for the number of shots to be fired and does allow for some error in judgement of wind drift, sight alignment and shooter rifle control. Whereas, in group shooting the error allowance is not established until the second shot has struck the target. If the second shot is a distance of .500" from first then this is the error allowance for the third and so on. The error allowance is always the distance between the two widest shots. The Holy Grail of group shooting has always been .000 for the required number of shots. Group placement on the target is equally important for both the group and score shooter with particular attention to the first shot.      

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 10:18am
Print Post  
joeb33050 wrote on Feb 26th, 2014 at 5:36am:

No-wind is easier and more accurate than same-wind is easier and more accurate than varying-wind.

Personally, I find that same wind is much easier and more accurate than no wind.

I use three wind indicators: 1 at 10 yards, 1 at 70 yards, and 1 at 120 yards.  Even if all three of these indicators show a no-wind condition, there still may be some wind on the range.

However, if all three indicators show a same-wind condition, I believe that there is a higher probability of that condition being present at all (or at least most) distances.

Again, this is a personal belief - nothing more.

JackHughs       

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 10:32am
Print Post  
I agree with Jack.

I shoot much better with a slight wind than no wind.

When it get's completely calm I wait until there is a trickle of wind before I shoot.

There is more of a problem calling slight variations in mirage that occur at calm wind conditions. That is why calm wind conditions are not as good as shooting when there is a trickle of wind.

The wind socks were at 30 degrees off the post when I shot the 1245 out of 1250 at 200 yards. I held for a specific wind condition because it was ocurring consistently but losing five points indicated to me I had to watch for a slight twitch in the 150 yard flag.
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2014 at 10:39am by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 10:57am
Print Post  
I agree with Jack Hughes you experience more uncalled out shots in a presumably dead wind than one would with a consistent wind. What was so enjoyable in shooting the CBA format was the time limits, 10 minutes for score and 15 for group as there was very little opportunity to shoot just one condition if any and it was a shooters abilities game. To become and to remain competitive I had to learn how to shoot five different conditions with total confidence all though three would typically due. 10&15 minutes might seem like allot of time for some but when taking into consideration the time it takes seat a bullet, Re&De prime the case, dump the powder charge and to get back on the target would often leave one with a minute or two to spare or right down to the wire. Trying to throw in a couple of sighters for a change in conditions would cut the time even shorter. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Same offhand I prefer a little wind. Not only does it give more consistent conditons, no wind fools you most of the time, it clears the air too making the target easier to see well

Boats

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Yes, wind is a legitimate excuse. 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

colo native
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
The wind that bothers me the most is behind the fireing line,   caused by people.    eh..

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #8 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
The wind that bothers me the most is behind the fireing line

Not so much interference anymore. Most of the single shot compeititors just turn off their hearing aids now.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
colo native wrote on Feb 26th, 2014 at 2:43pm:
The wind that bothers me the most is behind the fireing line,   caused by people.    eh..

Beer, wine, schnapps will cure your condition. Doesn't take much. But of course, if you're Irish.............. eh..

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
All those internal lubricants come under the heading of Group Tightener!

40 Rod

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #11 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
colo native wrote on Feb 26th, 2014 at 2:43pm:

It's the wind being passed ON the firing line that can be really distracting, especially if you are down-wind.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
For wind downrange we compensate.

For wind behind the line, we decompensate.

de·com·pen·sate [dee-kom-puhn-seyt]  
verb (used without object), de·com·pen·sat·ed, de·com·pen·sat·ing.
Psychology . to lose the ability to maintain normal or appropriate psychological defenses, sometimes resulting in depression, anxiety, or delusions.

JackHughs

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Wind is one thing BS is another, my wife calls me "the King of BS"

Am sure most of you will agree

Boats