Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) spotting scope (Read 10140 times)
25-20
Ex Member

Re: spotting scope
Reply #15 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
JackHughs wrote on Feb 19th, 2014 at 3:21pm:
Back to the topic.

With my tired old eyes, the minimum useful spotting scope is a Kowa TSN 82 with a 27 power long eye relief ocular.

One of these days, I would like to fabricate a mount for a riflescope (a Weaver 36 perhaps) and see how that works as a spotting scope.

JackHughs

Jack I will look forward to your camera description . I have tried using a Very good B&L  36X Benchrest scope on a solid mount I made at our Tool & Die shop as a spotting scope, and it wasnt good at all It aways seemed to be quivering a bit .   looking thru the same scope on a rifle in the bags was MUCH better , but a hassle to keep switching guns in the bags

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
My thoughts on the scope are that there is only one most critical factor other than quality, and that is size of the lens.  80mm is much much better than 60mm.

As far as magnification and variable magnification, a lot less critical.  My scope is 24x, and that is plenty.  More magnification doesn't help you much, it just makes the picture bigger, but more blurry.  It also accentuates shake in the tripod.  I think that any magnification much over 20x is a non-feature feature.  Personally, if I had a choice between variable magnification and larger lens, I wouldn't even think twice, I would go with the larger lens.  

I would also recommend getting the most stable tripod you can.  Especially if you shoot in the wind, a shaking tripod makes it really hard to see.

dave   
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2014 at 6:22pm by ssdave »  

IP Logged

25-20
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
My biggest criteria and expectations are seeing the holes in the black @ 300 M, especially smaller cal holes in bad visibility conditions. I usually have to concentrate my groups in practice sessions in the white corners of the target outside the large black Bull I need to align Circle aperture sights ,even with a  good spotting scope,  visibility is only possible in the white
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2014 at 8:41pm by »  

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #18 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
At the LOW end look at Harbor Freight Item #94555.  $50.  20-60 power 60mm.  Tripod is wimpy.  Optics are bright and sharp; focusing system is touchy.  I paid $35 for mine at a flea market from some fellow who only spoke Spanish.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
I have found an angled Kowa spotting scope on the net but the guy doesn't know what power it is,
He says its got 60 mm on the front lens and TS-1 and TS2 on the rear.
Hasn't any lens caps to go with it.
Do they normally have caps?
Anybody got any idea what the power would be ? 
I am interested in buying it as most people seem to recommend these scopes here.
I have tried several spotting scopes over the years including a Swarovski for spotting 22 calibre holes at two hundred metres but have trouble seeing the hits when in the black. Never tried a Kowa.
I now have a 60 mm 22 power Greencat which I bought for fifty dollars and with a 22 power eyepiece is as good as any I have tried.
I have two other higher power eye pieces for it which I managed to later buy thinking it would help and although they  will magnify the target more, the clarity is nor there.
Regards.
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2014 at 10:01pm by Nero »  

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
Nero,

The power is determined by the eyepiece, not the lens size.  The Kowa is not as good as a Swarovski of the same size, but it is close.

I have a steiner 80mm, a partner I shoot with has a Kowa, in some light we prefer his, in some mine.  The Kowa's are very good for the price.

dave

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Feb 20th, 2014 at 9:07am
Print Post  
I agree with what Dave says.  Bigger lens is better.  Seeing small caliber holes at 300m in all conditions is a tall order.  I use a scope with an 80mm objective and there have been times in very high mirage where I couldn't make out .45 cal holes in the black at 200m.  Normally it's not a problem and .22lr is workable at that distance when the light is good.

Chris.

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - Feb 20th, 2014 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Scope Stand

Strong enough to hold an 82 mm Kowa with no shake but takes up very little benchtop space..   

Freeland head mounted to a piece of 5/8" tubing bolted to a surplus C clamp.

JackHughs

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Feb 20th, 2014 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
jack;  you are the best.  art

IP Logged

dave_j

Reply #24 - Feb 20th, 2014 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
i have used swarovski,kowa,nikon,celestron,swift,and burris. the little burris xts25-75 is pretty good for what you want and it runs about 250 on amazon

after trying all these i like the nikon ed for schuetzen. you can find a nikon 20-60x80mm for about 400 without ed. ed costs about 1000     good luck

ah heck  AA#9,4227,300MP, as long as it goes bang

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 8:27am
Print Post  
Nero wrote on Feb 19th, 2014 at 9:35pm:
I have found an angled Kowa spotting scope on the net but the guy doesn't know what power it is,
He says its got 60 mm on the front lens and TS-1 and TS2 on the rear.
Hasn't any lens caps to go with it.
Do they normally have caps?
Regards.

Shoot high power with someone who recently purchased a used Kowa TSN-1. It wasn't very good, but it is an old model (20yr?), so no great surprise. He sent it back to Kowa and for $93 plus shipping they cleaned and collimated it and it is now working up-to-snuff. But, being 20yr old technology he ended up with an old scope for the price of new and it is not as clear/sharp as the Celestron. As for lens caps, probably lost along the way. Call Kowa. They may still sell them. There is no magic bullet in "seeing". Just like looking at the heavens, bigger is better (that is lens diameter and not magnification), but when conditions are bad a $3K scope won't see through it.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

majorfs45

Reply #26 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
The photo attached is a Kowa TSN 821M with a 27X angle long eye relief and a Unertl 100mm Team Spotting Scope with a 24X eye piece. The stand on both are solid, but the one on the Unertl is absolutely amazing.  Both are set up for use for BPCR and .22 BPCR Silhouette.  In my case I am not looking for bullet holes in targets, but hits on metal target and more important to help read the mirage/wind. Both are great for this use.

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Thoughts on spotting scopes --  Depends on what  you are doing, of course.  For Silhouettes, you need a pretty good glass because you are looking for bullet impacts, both on the steel and in the dirt.   For looking at bullet holes, resolution is the thing.  Two ways to get at that -- really good smaller optics or really BIG objective lenses.   

When you want to go further than 200 yd, you run into the problem of atmospheric clarity.  Under many conditions, NO telescope will see the bullet holes.   If the "seeing" is good, 25X or so will show them up.  Variable eyepieces generally involve optical compromises, so don't often give much better resolution, but if your eyes are not all that great, going up to 45x-60x will give you a bigger picture to look at.
I have had recently to resort to that.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint