Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Cost of rebarrel job (Read 17684 times)
Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Cost of rebarrel job
Feb 16th, 2014 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Another "newbie" question here.  RoyB started a thread about the possibility of having to re barrel a rifle.  I didn't want to hijack his thread, but as I've been thinking out this search for a single-shot rifle "thing", I keep wondering what if I find a rifle, but it needs re barreling?  What kind of cost is involved in sending a rifle to a gunsmith and having it re barreled?

Chris
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Cost of rebarrel job
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 11:07am
Print Post  
$600, plus or minus depending on what additional work you want (half-octagon, profile, tulip, wedding ring, dovetails, d&t'd for scope blocks, etc.). If you start with a Green Mountain barrel (which are excellent) in the profile you want, then the cost is close to the $600. If you start with a round blank and want any of the above, it starts to add up. DZ Arms used to have a price for rebarreling and other 'standard' gunsmithing work on his website, so you could check there. Think Arizona Sharpshooters and few others do the same on their websites.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

rkaires
Frequent Elocutionist

No Stronger Bond

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Hi Chris,

Here's pricing that applies to Stevens 44 1/2 actions by CPA.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

ASSRA #11031
NRA Life
Proud Noodlehead

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands
around reloading."~ ~ Thomas Jefferson

IP Logged

pmcfall
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Chris
I have an original Ballard 1/2 round 32" barrel in 38-55 with a very nice bore and its original forend.  It would be less expensive than a new barrel. If you're interested in going this route, we can discuss it further.
Phil

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 11:54am
Print Post  
I am not a fan of GM Barrels for serious cast bullet benchrest use based on my personal experience if that is where you are headed.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Timetripper

Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Started down the same road about 18 months ago. Traded for a Remington #5 rolling block and am having it re barreled to 38-55 by my smith. He's still waiting for the Green Mountain barrel, but we hope to see it come in by this summer. I'll have about $700 in it at his end and that will include blueing and milling the barrel to a half round half octagon profile. Have purchased stocks from Treebone Carving and will have a go at fit & finishing them myself. BTW, saw your website. That's some beautiful work!
John 

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
I'm new to all of this stuff guys. (even have to look up some of the acronyms you use!)  I'm just dreaming at this point.  But think I've figured out I'll never be able to afford a nice beautiful single-shot that draws lookers when it's brought out of the case.  I was thinking maybe the next best thing was to find an old rifle that the barrel was shot out on and re-barrel it..............hoping that would save money.  I'm beginning to think I'm shopping in the Rolls Royce dealership when I need to be looking at used Volkswagens!  Grin

Chris
IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Chris,  most of us started out like you are thinking about.  If you search through the accumulated threads there are a BUNCH of them on the topic of "getting started"   VERY few of us have deep enough pockets to afford to jump in at the deep end of the pool.    
A lot depends on what your goals are and where you live.   If you can get to a couple matches and spend some time you'll learn a lot and there are usually guys who are willing to help a new guy who is serious get started, even if you are not going to be a real obsessed competition type shooter. 
  A Lot of the matches have tables or areas where guys buy/sell/swap stuff they no longer need.   I have seen perfectly usable barrels sell for under 200 bucks, and there may be a locally well-regarded 'smith who can mount it for a reasonable amount.  Indeed some of the shooters themselves may be hobbyest or professional machinists who can give you a hand.  I have seen perfectly usable barreled actions and even complete rifles sell for under 600.  They may not be the jaw-dropping collectable art works you see posted here at times, but they will get the work done if you do your part and can be a real good way to get in at the shallow end of the pool to start learning and saving/trading for your personal dream rifle.
   I've been working toward mine, a piece at a time for about 10 years now. I just got the barrel from a member for a mutually agreeable price got the action f 4 or 5 years ago, did some horse trading for some work on the action, etc etc.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Well, at least that sounds encouraging.  Still having trouble finding anyone around my area that shoots single-action matches where I might get some exposure.........but I'll keep on trying.

Chris
IP Logged

RoyB
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Phil,

If Chris C has no interest in the Ballard barrel.....I do.

Certainly Chris has first dibs.  I sent you a PM with my contact information.

Thanks

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
where are you located?

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
RoyB wrote on Feb 16th, 2014 at 2:06pm:
Phil,

If Chris C has no interest in the Ballard barrel.....I do.

Certainly Chris has first dibs.  I sent you a PM with my contact information.

Thanks

Go for it..........I'm not interested.

Chris
IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #12 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Rifled barrel blanks go from $100 to $400 and then you have to add the cost to contour the barrel to a specific profile, chamber it, thread it for the receiver, head space it and cut the extractor slot plus install scope rails, blocks or cut dovetails. Then you need to finish the barrel (bead blast, blue or coat).

Have seen cheap barrels available for $150 to high end custom barrels for up to $1,000 each.

IP Logged

UtahDave
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
Chris, 

I checked out your web site, very impressive woodworking.  You should have no problem making a very fine stock.  Now to fine a nice barreled action.  

Dave

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 6:31am
Print Post  
amen,  VERY impressive woodwork.     I strongly suspect you can do GREAT gunstock work if you turn you hand to it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint