Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) spotting scope (Read 10125 times)
firearmdoc

spotting scope
Feb 19th, 2014 at 6:11am
Print Post  
I am looking to purchase a spotting scope, but I'm not sure what I shoul. buy. I would like to find one with variable power. I know there will be recomendations to buy once and not look back. Problem is I have a young family and not a lot of excess money, so I need to keep the price down. Are their any recomendations? Or if someone has one they are no longer using I would entertain buying a used one.
Thanks,

Jesse

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: spotting scope
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 6:55am
Print Post  
Have been using the Celestron (well known long-time telescope maker) for the past 6-7 years and it has been great. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links).
Not as cheap as their Ultima line, but has the much better ED glass and several of us purchased the Regal after a side-by-side comparison to the more than twice as expensive Kowa 82mm scope. We could see no difference.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

25-20
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 8:53am
Print Post  
I bought Celestron 52302 Regal Refractor 80mm F-ED Spotting Scope  on recomendations on this board,($750 Canadian$ delivered with taxes) and must say , I am quite happy with it. I bought early summer as this model was being discontined for a new M2 model ( I believe the only diff is the newer model is Camo color , and Lighter weight ?) 
    The only disappointment is that I cannot see Holes in black (even 45 Cal holes in white require some eyestrain for me ) @300 M under some conditions,such as mirage and also on a very dull day. When the sun Is shining on the target and no mirage I can see quite clearly 32 cal holes in the black , but also my friends with lesser scopes (and better eyes) can see almost as well. So I have learned that there is no magic scope for all conditions and find myself wishing for a remote camera system down range focused on the target and me with a moniter right in front of me
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2014 at 7:21pm by »  

IP Logged

digitall423
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 9:09am
Print Post  
I have a Celestron Ultimate 80 ED Which is a nice scope but large. The scope I use when shooting schuetzen ia an old fixed power Leupold, the straight one not the one with a prism. I believe it is a 24 power and works well even discerning 22 caliber holes at 200 yards. 

BUT! I have a range out to 300 yards on my place and when I shoot centerfire rifles I haul everything to the shooting tables on my four wheeler. Sometimes it takes two loads if two rifles are involved. Wanting to put together a small kit just for shooting .22's I started looking for a small inexpensive spotting scope. The one I found is made by Burris. Its name is  Compact, adjustable from 12X to 24X with a 50mm objective. I bought mine for around $80.00 and can honestly say it rivals my Leupold. Bullet holes at 200 yards are easily seen. I've set-up the Leupold and the Burris side-by-side and it's very hard to see any difference. In my opinion it would be hard to beat for a starter scope.
Bill

IP Logged

Lefty38-55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 9:12am
Print Post  
PM sent, as I have a new Konus I'm not using ...

All of my single shots shoot one tiny ragged hole with cast bullets ... it's just the following shots that tend to open up my groups Wink ...

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Yes, all those instruments are excellent, but I'm holding out for one of those Jap naval binoculars (about 2' long, 50 lbs) shown on Pawn Stars a while back; was claimed that these were so good the US Navy had purchased them before Pearl Harbor.

IP Logged

Lefty38-55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Feb 19th, 2014 at 11:18am:
Yes, all those instruments are excellent, but I'm holding out for one of those Jap naval binoculars (about 2' long, 50 lbs) shown on Pawn Stars a while back; was claimed that these were so good the US Navy had purchased them before Pearl Harbor.

Here ya' go ... only $3500 with mount, click here:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

All of my single shots shoot one tiny ragged hole with cast bullets ... it's just the following shots that tend to open up my groups Wink ...

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Lefty38-55 wrote on Feb 19th, 2014 at 11:47am:
Here ya' go ... only $3500 with mount, click here:

Not bad, but the one on Pawn Stars was in its original wooden crate--I gotta have that.   

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Quote:
So I have learned that there is no magic scope for all conditions and find myself wishing for a remote camera system down range focused on the target and me with a moniter right in front of me

Check this out.

The camera system is undergoing a series of refinements ($$$) and, if all experimentation goes well,  I hope to post a complete build complete with part numbers in a few weeks.

JackHughs

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
JackHughs wrote on Feb 19th, 2014 at 12:20pm:
Quote:
So I have learned that there is no magic scope for all conditions and find myself wishing for a remote camera system down range focused on the target and me with a moniter right in front of me

Check this out.

The camera system is undergoing a series of refinements ($$$) and, if all experimentation goes well,  I hope to post a complete build complete with part numbers in a few weeks.

JackHughs

I for one very much look forward to reading that build-log!   
I've been liking the idea of the target-camera's for a long time... I just don't have the money to mess up with false-starts because I bought the wrong bits, and don't quite have the know-how for some of the components (I'm very familiar with WiFi gear/routers, but know nothing about camera's, etc).

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
I can recomend one that you can fined used for 100 - $150, it's the 841 15-60 x 60mm variable Swift. I've used mine for years and before that (1985) I bought a 821 20-60x60mm fixed eye pieces and loved it at that time.

I just bought a Vortex Viper 15-45x65mm variable, it's a ED/HD scope and they cost $600. The 841 and Viper set side by side, in cloudy weather at 300 yards, showed very little difference with 33 cal holes on the 200 yard target. I was disapointed with the Viper as they are a high end scope but, I'm keeping it as it did show a slightly better clearity. 

The 841 is a Japanese made scope that was also badged as a B&L scope.

Jan,
What are your plans to protect your camera and sender at the target? I'm also putting a system together and want to be able to take it to different ranges. My only thought is a angled 1/2 steel enclosure. Very heavy to lug to 200.

Frank
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2014 at 5:31pm by frnkeore »  

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Feb 19th, 2014 at 2:01pm:

Jan,
What are your plans to protect your camera and sender at the target? I'm also putting a system together and want to be able to take it to different ranges. My only thought is a angled 1/2 steel enclosure. Very heavy to lug to 200.

Frank

Hi Frank,

At Modesto, the camera and transmitter are protected by the 200 yard pits, but that's a unique location.

I'm currently awaiting delivery of a 4 - 22 mm varifocal camera.  At 22 mm focal length,  I hope to be able to place the camera at approximately 15 ft in front of the target - mounted at ground level and angled up to keep it away from the bullet's path.  Also, the transmitter and battery pack can be comfortably placed up to 50 ft away from the camera.

JackHughs 

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Back to the topic.

With my tired old eyes, the minimum useful spotting scope is a Kowa TSN 82 with a 27 power long eye relief ocular.

One of these days, I would like to fabricate a mount for a riflescope (a Weaver 36 perhaps) and see how that works as a spotting scope.

JackHughs

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
I've got an older Kowa 77 mm with the straight eyepiece and a Bogen 351 tripod that I use for BPCR silhouette. It's great but big! I used SSShooter's Celestron Regal in GA for mid-range and silhouette BPCR and found it equal optical quality. It was better on the trip because it was smaller and easier to pack. It also had the angled eyepiece and a single vertical post which was a bonus in GA as the range was crowded and a smaller footprint is good.

I've shot one schuetzen match and the Kowa is too large to set up to use properly.

I've also got a Simmons 25 x 50 mm scope that I have less than $75 and I use it a lot on my property when I go there to shoot. I can see .22 bullet holes at 200 yds with it. It is no longer made. It is my choice for a day of plinking enjoyment.

One scope will not fill all requirements. Put some thought into the use and ease of use before spending $$$

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Deadeye Bly's post brings to mind the scope stand. Given the choice, if I needed an 'all purpose' scope stand/mount I would spend the $$ on a good, stable 1" diameter post type of stand like the Ray-Vin and get the best scope I could with what $$ is left over. A $2K scope on wobbly stand ain't worth squat while a $150 scope on a good stand is 90% of a $2K scope on a good stand.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint