Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ballard Accuracy??.."Not so much!" (Read 4612 times)
RoyB
Oldtimer

Ballard Accuracy??.."Not so much!"
Feb 16th, 2014 at 8:13am
Print Post  
Well I finally got the old Ballard out to the range. Three different bullets up to size .381...Black powder and my "super accurate in all my other 38-55 rifles", Unique load.

Terrible accuracy. 12" groups at 25 yds!

So what to do....Reline the original barrel or rebarrel with a Green Mountain or a Kreiger barrel and put the original barrel into storage to preserve the collector value?

If I rebarrel I could increase the length and go with an Octagon to round, keeping the weight about the same but with a better sight plane.

But Relining could be done for a fraction of the cost as I have everything I need except for a barrel liner ($150)

Advice??

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ballard Accuracy??.."Not so much!"
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 8:16am
Print Post  
Have you slugged the bore? Old barrels are all over the place in bore diameter so may as simple as a different bullet/powder combination.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 8:34am
Print Post  
RoyB wrote on Feb 16th, 2014 at 8:13am:
So what to do....Reline the original barrel or rebarrel with a Green Mountain or a Kreiger barrel and put the original barrel into storage to preserve the collector value? Advice??

This question has been asked before.  I say an original barrel with, for all practical purposes, no bore left, has only minimal collector value, on top of which it's almost certain to become separated from the gun somewhere down the line--may not happen till after you've gone, but eventually it WILL happen if it's not screwed into the receiver. Not so big a deal perhaps on un-numbered barrels, but on Ballards, it is.

Therefor, reline--especially since, doing the work yourself, I'm sure it will be a top-notch job.

PS--Yes of course, try other bullets FIRST before doing anything else, but 12" at 25 yds does not look promising.

IP Logged

RoyB
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Thanks folks. 
I slugged the barrel. tight at the muzzle (.379 grooves), bullet rattles half way down the bore and tight again an inch or so in front of the chamber (.378 grooves). These is no way I can mesure the center section of the barrel. Matters not because the bullet is now undersized once it leaves the tight section just a couple of inches from the chamber.
The lands just in front of the chamber are washed out.

I want to use this rifle in 200 yard side matches at Cowboy Action Shooting events so it needs to be at least a 2" gun at 100 yds otherwise it won't be competitive. And I'd like to have a longer barrel.

I sent requests to a few barrel makers for a quote on an Octagon to round heavy barrel blank.

Once I get the quotes back I'll have to decide which way to go.

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
IP Logged

RoyB
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Frank, wouldn't I need to open the chamber end? The bullet is being sized down to .378 before it even makes its way down the bore.

I would think opening the muzzle would just exacerbate the issue...No?

I found a barrel on Track of the Wolf

Green Mountain Barrel
#3-1/2 Taper = 1.12" breech tapering to .95" muzzle
.38-55 caliber,  35", 1-12" twist, 7.7 lb, .368" bore, .375" groove 

If my high school math is correct, this should give me just about the exact taper I'm looking for. I can turn the front section round for an Octagon to Round contour.

1-12 Twist will stabilize the Lyman 340G bullets with an OAL of 1.309"

Price is $259 and they have them in stock.

Seems like a great option.....??

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Roy,
I deleted my post because I re-read yours and I had missed the part where you said the throat was washed out. You can't lap it if it has no rifling to start with.

Lapping from the breech is a given, what I said about the muzzle was that your pics showed pitting in that area and that it might only be able to do 1.5, 100 yard groups with that pitting.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Roy don't scrimp now make it a sub minute of angle bench gun should you ever want to shoot some of those matches down the road. It will add very little to what you are currently looking at.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Roy
Douglas Premium, #3, Half Rd. - Octagon. Click on
Target to enlarge to review load data at the bottom.

IP Logged

firearmdoc

Reply #8 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
I tried to enlarge the picture, but was still unable to make out the load data. Would you mind sharing it here?
thanks

Jesse

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Hoch Nose Pour .310-.376 as sold by CPA, Dell 59C Lube. 17.1 Grains 300MP, Win. Large Rifle Magnum Primers. Alloy 1-30, Barrel Douglas XX 1-18 Twist, Group Size .958. I have also shot several 249's and 248's with the same load all during load development. The target posted was shot the day prior to the match while practicing with an out of town competitor who signed the target. Due to health issues I had to give up on shooting the 38-55 any further shortly there after.

JLouis

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
I would agree with Redsetter.  You have already done repairs to the gun which a "serious collector" would have problems with.  Also the finish on your rifle, to my mind, is in the "shooter" class, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.  I would go for a reline.  A good job would be plenty competitive at a CAS side match.

Before I did that, though, I would cast up a bunch of bullets, (0.381" if your mould can get it with Linotype or other alloy), roll them in Clover 320, breech seat them and fire lap for a hundred or so shots, brushing, cleaning and checking for groups after every ten shots.  At this point, it can't hurt, and if it gets the tight spot out of the barrel ahead of the chamber, it might even help.

This business of "Collector Value" is often an albatross around our necks. A pristine specimen shouldn't be messed with, of course, but you did not get a pristine specimen, at least from the pictures you have.  Rehabbing your rifle into a good shooter will enhance rather than diminish its value.  It will be more liquid, too, if it works the way it should and shoots well.

IP Logged

firearmdoc

Reply #11 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Feb 16th, 2014 at 9:21pm:
Hoch Nose Pour .310-.376 as sold by CPA, Dell 59C Lube. 17.1 Grains 300MP, Win. Large Rifle Magnum Primers. Alloy 1-30, Barrel Douglas XX 1-18 Twist, Group Size .958. I have also shot several 249's and 248's with the same load all during load development. The target posted was shot the day prior to the match while practicing with an out of town competitor who signed the target. Due to health issues I had to give up on shooting the 38-55 any further shortly there after.

JLouis

Would this load be suitable for an original Ballard or would it be considered to be too much pressure?  Thanks.

Jesse

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #12 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
I have a beautiful half octagon 30" Ballard barrel, that looks like new inside and out; serial range 34,xxx. Unfortunately it's in .32-40, so it wouldn't be the .38-55 you desired anymore. I bought this barrel from Al Perry before he passed away, and was planning on putting it on one of my #8 Ballards that has a Winchester barrel, but the Win. barrel shoots so well I never changed it.
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2014 at 10:43pm by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint