Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ballard barrel (Read 1397 times)
mb3240
Ex Member

Ballard barrel
Feb 16th, 2014 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
I checked my serial numbers and found that the barrel (33,XXX) does not match the receiver (10,XXX) on my Marlin Ballard.   Is there any way to identify if the barrel is from a Marlin Ballard.   There is a small s stamped on the bottom of the barrel about 2 inches from the receiver.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ballard barrel
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Does it have the Ballard "tulip"?  (The round profile next to the receiver.)  If so, ain't likely to be anything else.

IP Logged

mb3240
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Yes it does>

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
That's a very common thing to find with Ballards. Often people either shot the barrel out form so many rounds, or wanted a different caliber, so they found a donor and put another Ballard barrel on. I've probably got 6-7 Ballards with barrels the serial numbers don't match. Some even have Win. or Stevens barrels on them, and a couple are even marked by Stevens as rebarreled by them. I have a Pacific #5 in .45-70 that has a mismatched serial number. Still a Pacific barrel as it has all the thimbles and cross screw for the forearm. If I hadn't checked I would have never known it was a donor barrel.
I don't think the barrel numbers being mismatched hurts very much if they put the proper Ballard barrel on to match the model you have.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint