Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Target Camera (Read 7493 times)
JackHughs
Oldtimer

Target Camera
Jan 21st, 2014 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Since the Bloop Tube was a bust, let's try another off-the-wall project.

The attached picture shows a first-generation target camera cobbled together from various bits and pieces of interesting stuff.  While it does work, it needs a bit of refinement.

The heart of the system is a 2.4 Ghz video transmitter and receiver set that sells over the internet for the princely sum of $56.00 with two power supplies.  The 4.3" screen is from an aftermarket automobile back-up camera at $19.00.  The camera itself is a really cheesy "spy" camera which, as I recall, cost $22.00 a few years ago. 

I had to buy two power supply splitter cables that added another $10.00 to the overall cost.

The targets are set up at 200 yards and the picture is clear and readable - to the extent of the capability of the really cheap camera. 

Planned upgrades are a bigger screen, two lithium-ion rechargeable 12v battery packs, and a much better camera.

JackHughs
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2014 at 4:57pm by JackHughs »  

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: Target Camera
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
That's neat! I have a system very similar. Not enough, uh, uh. Not enough............ the camera is a piece of crap!
Definition? 

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
Please do elaborate on the transmitter/receivers!
That's the one part of the equation that I'm weak on...

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 12:01am
Print Post  
What advantage is being accomplished by the use of the camera? I do not believe they would be allowed in a sanctioned match and it's not collecting any pertinent data for future use.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #4 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 12:47am
Print Post  
A regular spotting scope doesn't record data either.  One big advantage it has is no distortion from heat waves.  Would be handy for finding bullets holes in poor conditions, like .25 holes at 200 yards. Bullet holes at 1000 yards.  Don't think I've seen a rule against this sort of spotting scope. 
The model I have has some disadvantages. One is not being able to move the camera. The camera has to be set on one target full screen to see holes reliably. If the sun reflects off the target just right you can't see anything. Fun to play with though. 

Joe. 
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2014 at 12:55am by westerner »  

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 1:12am
Print Post  
Quote:
Please do elaborate on the transmitter/receivers!
That's the one part of the equation that I'm weak on...

Hi,

I don't think we're supposed to link directly to commercial webpages so here is the full name of the product:

KEEDOX® 2.4GHz Wireless 1W 1000mW Audio Video AV Transmitter Sender Receiver CCTV

Type the name into any search engine and you should be able to find a seller and product information.

There are also 5.8Ghz transmitter/receiver sets that are sold for first-person view (FPV) cameras used in model aircraft.  The FPV sets are smaller and lighter but a bit of wiring is required to set them up.

The Keedox 2.4Ghz set is all pre-wired.  All that is required for operation is 12 v power sources and one RCA jumper from the camera to the transmitter and one RCA jumper from the Receiver to the screen.   

JackHughs

IP Logged

ron
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 6:42am
Print Post  
gentleman, westerner said it best. it is fun to play.

ron   Wink

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #7 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 10:25am
Print Post  
So Joe:

Going to bring a camera to Tommy's range for the quarterbore event.

Better than running to other side of range to try to spot your bullet holes.

Dave

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #8 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 10:30am
Print Post  
A camera may have worked perfectly in that particular case, Dave. Think Tommy will have a solution to the problem this year.  I'll bring it along if you like. 

Joe.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #9 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 10:40am
Print Post  
Oh, I was thinking of the backlit backer debacle. Many of us shot twenty shots without seeing a bullet hole on the target.  Yes, the camera might work well for .25 holes if it had a better camera. Picture is grainy and out of focus. 

If the camera spotting scope system were to catch the interest of a serious model airplane builder, it could really be something.

Joe.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 11:51am
Print Post  

Maybe a drone fitted with a live camera feed that can swoop in and look at the targets.   

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Good information

We have thought about something like this for our 500 yard Buffalo target. If a lead single shot bullet hit's it spotting scopes will pick it up, misses are real hard to see when lighter calibers are used.

Will look into it see if it can work for us

Boats

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on Jan 22nd, 2014 at 11:54am:
Good information

We have thought about something like this for our 500 yard Buffalo target. If a lead single shot bullet hit's it spotting scopes will pick it up, misses are real hard to see when lighter calibers are used.

Will look into it see if it can work for us

Boats

A target camera will work for your 500 yard targets.  I'm reasonably sure that the inexpensive 2.4 Ghz transmitter/receiver I have will work out to 500 yards.  The major cost items will be the camera and the display.  A cheap ($20.00) fixed-focus camera will work. A $150.00 varifocal security camera will work better.  I plan to buy a more expensive camera soon to test.

The display can be a cheap 4.3" or 7" automotive "backup" display or, if power is available, any old TV set with RCA video inputs will do just fine.  A laptop computer can also be used but that would require the purchase of a "video capture device."   

The best part of this is how incredibly simple it is to put together.

JackHughs

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Jacm

One hold back has been lack of power down range or the shooting house.  Going to have to work on batterys

I am guessing down range any sort of camera will do and better quality better the picture.   Fairly wide angle the buff is cut from 48x48 plate misses can be several feet off so needs to capture about a 10 foot square.  Backed off from the target some that may not be hard to do. It's going to need bullet protection too. Steel Sled with angled plate toward the firing line? slide it back and forth for fine adjustment.

If it runs off a laptop it has portablity advantages, we use multiple ranges. Club has 14 on the property

Got any tips on video capture software ?

Boats
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2014 at 1:31pm by boats »  

IP Logged

Lefty38-55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jan 22nd, 2014 at 12:47am:
Would be handy for finding bullets holes in poor conditions, like .25 holes at 200 yards.

westerner wrote on Jan 22nd, 2014 at 10:40am:
Oh, I was thinking of the backlit backer debacle. Many of us shot twenty shots without seeing a bullet hole on the target.

Off-topic, but what my club does to aid finding shots in the bull is that on the 200, 300, 500, & 600 backers, the center black (high power type targets) is cut out. With the target stapled to the backer, any hit in the black is simple to see as the target it "backlit" by the ambient light of the day. Works slick!

Then again, this camera idea is darn cool to boot too Smiley !

All of my single shots shoot one tiny ragged hole with cast bullets ... it's just the following shots that tend to open up my groups Wink ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint