Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Target Camera (Read 7489 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Target Camera
Reply #15 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Would the higher 5.8 GHZ have a longer range to them or less radio wave distortion? I also saw 2.4 automotive transmiters for only $30 for the pair, do you think they would have a 200 yd range?

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #16 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
bpjack wrote on Jan 22nd, 2014 at 11:51am:

Maybe a drone fitted with a live camera feed that can swoop in and look at the targets.  

Yeah, drones swooping down.........yeah, thats a good idea, Jack, but I was thinking servos and such to control the camera. Maybe  mount the camera on a remote control tank.  A Tiger tank!  Cheesy

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Jan 22nd, 2014 at 2:27pm:
Would the higher 5.8 GHZ have a longer range to them or less radio wave distortion? I also saw 2.4 automotive transmiters for only $30 for the pair, do you think they would have a 200 yd range?

Frank

Hi Frank,

The automotive transmitter/receiver sets have very limited range.  

There are a whole bunch of video transmitter/receiver set for sale in both 2.4 and 5.8 Ghz.  A goodly portion of those are for home use - to get video signal from one room to another without wires.  Those sets would not be expected to reach out to 200 yards.

The 2.4 Ghz transmitter/receiver set I bought is rated at 1 watt and is easily able to reach 200 yards.  I'm confidant that it would also work up to 500 yards but I have not tested at this distance.

Probably the very best transmitter/receiver sets for a target camera are the 400 mw, 5.8 Ghz sets sold specifically for First-person View (FPV) use with model aircraft.   The only downside is that you have to wire in your own connectors - not a big deal, just another chore. 

JackHughs     

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #18 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
I love it, and it's not only much less expensive than a high end spotting scope, but has all sorts of advantages a spotting scope doesn't have! Since I don't shoot competitively I can think of all sorts of places I'd use it! Heck, I'd even consider using it out varmint hunting if I can sit it back enough to get a wide field of view and put my camera on video mode! Smiley

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
I planned to post a few more pictures.  One of the transmitter connected to a power supply and camera and another of the receiver connected to a power supply and a screen but I've exceeded the allowed filespace with the original pictures.

So without any visual aids, the wiring is the heart of simplicity.  Transmitter connections start with a 12 v DC power supply which is connected to a 4-way splitter. Power is then connected to the transmitter and to the camera. The camera is connected to the transmitter.  Receiver connections are just the same.

Both the transmitter/camera and the receiver/screen can be powered by 12 volt batteries.  Sealed lead-acid batteries of the type used for alarm systems are available for less than $20.00 each.

If anyone would like additional pictures of the wiring and the setup, please send me a pm with your email address and I'll get them to you. 

JackHughs

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint