Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A Good Book on Stevens rifles???? (Read 11714 times)
RoyB
Oldtimer

A Good Book on Stevens rifles????
Dec 24th, 2013 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
If I can only have one book that talks to the history and various models of the Stevens rifles, particularly the 44, 44 1/2....What would that book be?

How about.....
"Loading And Shooting Traditional Schuetzen Rifles.....A Beginner's Guide" By R.Wright

Do any of the "Mr. Single Shot" books cover the 44?

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: A Good Book on Stevens rifles????
Reply #1 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
RoyB
My schuetzen book only covers the Stevens 44 and 44 1/2 in a overview or introductory manner. The intention of the book is to cover a broad range of topics that I think will be helpful for a beginning or intermediate schuetzen shooter. There is no comprehensive book on the Stevens rifles to my knowledge. If someone knows of one, perhaps they will jump in here are let us know.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
dunno if I have ever heard of a book on stevens that is like the Dutcher/Ballard, Marcot/Remington, Campbell/Winchester, etc etc books.

most everyone seems to reference old catalogues or what ever Grant shows.   maybe just such a proliferation of mix-n-match options and styles combined with lost/destroyed/never-keept-in-the-first-place just makes it near impossible.

It seems there'd be a real market for one and we do have good writers and friendly publishers,  if it were a practical possibility.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
RoyB wrote on Dec 24th, 2013 at 1:28pm:
Do any of the "Mr. Single Shot" books cover the 44?

SS Rifles covers 44 design & operation better than you'll find anywhere else.  Grant hardly touches on the mechanics of anything, but his first book covers the different models well.

Stevens Pistols & Pocket Rifles provides a good short history of Stevens & his company, as well as more than you probably want to know about Stevens pistols.

Unlike the case with Winchester & other companies, Stevens factory records have "disappeared," so there'll never be anything like Campbell's books on the Win SS.

I can point out one book to avoid unless someone gives you a copy:  West's book on Savage & Stevens, along with everything else he churned out.

PS--One book on anything is seldom enough.
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2013 at 3:08pm by Redsetter »  

IP Logged

RoyB
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
I'm just finishing up Marcots book on the Spencer........Amazing amount of work he put into this book...Fascinating reading....Shows the government was just as screwed up then as it is now, but much more corrupt then as there was no Fox News and CNN looking up everyone's skirt.

Wish someone would do a sinilar exercise for the Stevens, but not being a military rifle, the book wouldn't be as sexy....

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
There is no one book that thoroughly covers the Stevens 44 and 44 1/2. There is more than enough material out there to make a sizeable reference book or two. Savage & Stevens Arms by Jay Kimmel and Single Shot Rifles and Actions by Frank de Haas give some basic info and are affordable. I have many reference books that include Stevens that I have and can name for you but they are all out of print and not cheap or necessarily easy to find. I have most of the reprints/or original Stevens Catalogs that are also helpful. Catalog reprints are reasonable but they add up if you get them all. 
The American Rifle  by Townsend Whelen. The Rifle in America by Philip Sharp. Savage & Stevens Arms & History by Bill West (one of my favorites but expensive and hard to find). More Single Shot Rifles and Actions by Frank de Haas. Stevens Pistols and Pocket Rifles by Kenneth Cope. The Story of Pope Barrels by Ray Smith. Stevens Arms & Tools Co. by Joseph Vorisek. A History & Digest of the J. Stevens Arms and Tool Company by Harold Strong. Single Shot Rifles by James Grant. Boys Single Shot Rifles by James Grant. More Single Shot Rifles by James Grant. Still More Single Shot Rifles by James Grant. Single Shot Rifles Finale by James Grant. That plus most of the catalog reprints and a few originals covers MOST of my Stevens references. I am not sure if this will help or add more confusion to the question.

IP Logged

LONG RANGE
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
A friend of mine named Ed Mason had a very large collection of Steven's rifles and pistols as well as old catalogs. A man named Bill West was photographing his collection with the idea of using the pictures to illustrate a book he was writing. I don't know if the book was ever printed but if it was it would have a great deal of information in it. I was at Ed's house when most of the collection was bought by a member of this group. I cannot remember his last name but his first name was Joseph and I think he had a farm in Minnesota. He used to put out a catalog with pictures of rifles he had for sale. He also bought three rifles from me.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
LONG RANGE wrote on Dec 24th, 2013 at 8:32pm:
A friend of mine named Ed Mason had a very large collection of Steven's rifles and pistols as well as old catalogs. I was at Ed's house when most of the collection was bought by a member of this group. I cannot remember his last name but his first name was Joseph and I think he had a farm in Minnesota. He used to put out a catalog with pictures of rifles he had for sale. He also bought three rifles from me.   

Goergon?   

IP Logged

LONG RANGE
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
That could be it Dave but to tell the truth, I really don't remember. He also bought three rifles from me that day. One of them was the highest quality single shot rifle I ever saw. It was an off hand rifle with a Martini action. It had  deep relief engraving. It had gold inlays on the barrel of grape vines leaves and in front of the action on the top flat of the barrel was an inlay of a silver cherub. On the right side of the action was a deep relief of Diana, goddess of the hunt. She had two Afghan hounds on leases heading toward a stag she had downed with her bow. The left side was an engraving of Cupid shooting his arrows at a heart being held by two cherubs. I think the name KESSLER was inlaid in gold on the barrel. The butt stock had a deeply carved image of the bird that looks somewhat like a turkey but is not fit to eat. I forget it's name. The forend is carved in the shape of a dogs head complete with white teeth. The reason I sold the rifle was the fact that some idiot in the past had separated it from breach block and trigger assembly. I don't have any idea what it would cost to replace them even if it were possible to find someone who could do it. It was a museum piece but if I can't shoot it, I don't want it. The reason I am boring you with this story is to find out if anyone of you may have seen the rifle. I would like to hear that someone bought the rifle who could afford to put it back in service. This will not be the last rifle that I once owned that I will describe to you in boring detail. When I think of some of them that I sold, I almost want to cry.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
LONG RANGE wrote on Dec 24th, 2013 at 9:30pm:
When I think of some of them that I sold, I almost want to cry.   

May I join you?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
A History & Digest of The J.Stevens Arms and Tool Company by Harold E Strong.
A gift to me years ago as a Birthday present.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Dec 24th, 2013 at 9:56pm:
A History & Digest of The J.Stevens Arms and Tool Company by Harold E Strong.
JLouis

Never seen this one, but am curious about it.  Is there more to it than a general description of the models?  Is there evidence of original research--I mean information not found in Grant, De Haas, Flayderman, etc.?

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
On a related subject, are there any books, or does any one have, pictures of the Stevens rifles that show anything but the side views?  I'm in the process of trying to build an off hand stock for my CPA and don't have a clue as to the contours of the original stocks when viewed from the top or the bottom.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
I don't have the other books you mentioned and I have not had my head in this one for years. It shows all of the complete firearms as well as all of their parts in including, shotguns, pistols etc. as well as all the tools they made of which is quite interesting in its self.
When I get sometime I will go check on how much history was included.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

RoyB
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Dec 25th, 2013 at 8:34am
Print Post  
Quote:
I'm in the process of trying to build an off hand stock for my CPA and don't have a clue as to the contours of the original stocks when viewed from the top or the bottom.

Would the pictures in my album help?

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint