Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic IDing 5A large objective modification (Read 3265 times)
bohemianway
Oldtimer

IDing 5A large objective modification
Jan 1st, 2014 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Bored and cleaning out basement and found this one. It is marked 5A with the rest pinpricked out. Remnants of the parallax marking still present. Seems to have the early front mount with pointed screw but rear mount is three point. I also think that the ocular is from an earlier scope. It appears to still be 5X even with the modification and there are no ID markings for who did the modification but it is obviously period. Any comments are appreciated. I have seen others in central Wisconsin.

Thank you,
Charles

GTalk  
IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: IDing 5A large objective modification
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
An odd one for sure.  Never heard of Litschert or others doing this kind of modification going to the extreme of "erasing" the name of the original manufacturer.  Especially interesting that you've seen others.

The larger objective should increase brightness, but magnification would not change unless the ocular was also boosted.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 9:02am
Print Post  
Davis, the predecessor to Litschert got its start doing exactly this kind of thing. They made and installed larger objective lenses. They also made ocular doublers and a lens that would halve scope power.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 9:56am
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Jan 2nd, 2014 at 9:02am:
Davis, the predecessor to Litschert got its start doing exactly this kind of thing. They made and installed larger objective lenses. They also made ocular doublers and a lens that would halve scope power.

40 Rod

Was the other way around--Davis took over the business from Litschert, who was--I think--his father-in-law, or some other relation, nephew, perhaps.  But both of them always marked their work, & didn't try to hide the name of the original maker--which is the very unusual thing about this scope. 

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 11:40am
Print Post  
I was guessing it was a Litschert adapter, and maybe an early enough one to be unmarked. Since these were available to the general public to install at home, it's possible some owner just wanted the old markings deleted so it wouldn't be looked at as just another Win. scope.
Many Litschert adapters increased the power rating, and that was one of their selling points.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jan 2nd, 2014 at 11:40am:
Since these were available to the general public to install at home, it's possible some owner just wanted the old markings deleted so it wouldn't be looked at as just another Win. scope.

That occurred to me also, & it would be far from the worst case of owner-defacement I've seen, but he said he'd seen OTHERS like it.   

IP Logged

Bronco Birnbaum
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
I think this is a 1930's vintage, "Lyman 5A" rifle scope complete with windage and elevation. Adjustable rear ring and a Litschert magnification. These scopes were  produced from 1929 to 1934.  If you are not familiar with these rings, the small screw in the "corner" of the ring MUST be loosened before turning the micrometer adjustment knobs. Failure to do so can result in damage to the adjustments.  These scopes came with a -- 20x Litschert "Targeteer" Scope Magnifier -- that was installed on this Lyman 5A Scope by the owner.

Here is a bit of history taken from a Gun Digest Article---- 
By 1935, R.A. Litschert of Winchester, Ind., was marketing a series of scope attachments that raised the magnification of several popular hunting scopes, turning them into target or high power varmint scopes. Starting in the mid-1940s, Litschert began offering a line of high quality target scopes. All featured coated optics and 1/4-minute, micrometer-click, adjustable mounts. Parallax adjustment was made by sliding the objective lens in a screw slot rather than by screwing the objective bell in or out on a section of threaded tube.  The buyer had a choice of fine or medium crosswire reticles.  Litschert retired in 1961, selling the business to Myron Davis, who continued to manufacture Litschert's quality scopes as the Davis Optical Company. of Winchester, Indiana

IP Logged

J.Francis

Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
I have that same attachment mounted to an unmarked scope that looks like an 8 power Winchester but it's not brass. I'm thinking early Litschert for the booster too.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I think this is a 1930's vintage, "Lyman 5A" rifle scope complete with windage and elevation.

I bet you're right--since that's the marking on the scope. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint