Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A Good Book on Stevens rifles???? (Read 11728 times)
Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: A Good Book on Stevens rifles????
Reply #15 - Dec 25th, 2013 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
dibbler wrote on Dec 25th, 2013 at 6:12am:
Try to get a look at a copy of Bill West's Savage and Stevens Arms & History, 1st edition 1971. Its got 10 times more info on Stevens than what's in the 2nd edition.

Let me get this PERFECTLY straight before I blow $200 on this book:  you're telling me that it contains SIGNIFICANT information about the history of Stevens NOT found in the works of genuine authorities like Grant, Roberts, Sharpe, DeHaas?  

I don't need to buy another book like Stroebel's Old Scopes, which anyone who's studied the subject ought to be able to see was mainly plagiarized from other sources, Roberts, Whelen, Sharpe, etc.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Dec 25th, 2013 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
The History and Digest is mostly catalog pages (very good reproductions, though) with a short biography of Joshua Stevens, list of the company officers and some general production dates for the various models.  It came out in 1993.

Probably the compendium of Grant's books is the most complete coverage of the Stevens single shots, as far as the history of the various models goes.  There was a guy named Allyn Tedmon who was called "The Godfather of Stevens Rifles." He scrounged, rebuilt and appreciated them in a number of articles in the old American Rifleman magazines of the 1930's.  He wrote a piece on the Favorite model in one of Grant's books.  Unfortunately, he never wrote a book on Stevens himself.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Dec 25th, 2013 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Bent_Ramrod wrote on Dec 25th, 2013 at 3:32pm:

There was a guy named Allyn Tedmon who was called "The Godfather of Stevens Rifles." He scrounged, rebuilt and appreciated them in a number of articles in the old American Rifleman magazines of the 1930's.  He wrote a piece on the Favorite model in one of Grant's books.  Unfortunately, he never wrote a book on Stevens himself.

He wrote several outstanding articles for the Rifleman, however:

"Those Stevens Rifles" (12-1-26)--first general history of Stevens ever written;

"The Scope Sight You Can Afford" (7-27)--Stevens scopes;

"Boys and Rifles" (11-27)--mainly Stevens boys' rifles;

"The Stevens Ideal 44-1/2 Action" (7-30);

"Sighting 'Small Deer' Rifles" (8-31)--mainly Stevens;

"Rim Fires and Game (11-31)--again, mainly Stevens.

Stevens was often mentioned in other articles.

A few years ago, I suggested to the editor of the Rifleman that some of his pieces be reprinted--there are enough to make up a book.  His response:  "Are you kidding--no BLACK rifles?"  Actually, I'm kidding--I GOT no response...as if a mere Benefactor member was entitled to such a great favor.

On Tedmon himself, there's "Allyn H. Tedmon, Godfather of Stevens Rifles," in the late, lamented Precision Shooting of Dec. '99.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Dec 25th, 2013 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
dibbler wrote on Dec 25th, 2013 at 3:34pm:
For $200 you might want to take a look at the book first.

I wish I could!

A mere list & description of Stevens models isn't what I'd call "history."  Grant had covered the various models well beginning with his first book in '47, then 2 more before '71. I remember looking at a copy of West's 1st ed. at a gun show in the '70s and thinking "I can't see anything new here."  I'm willing to admit I could have overlooked something without having more time to examine it more carefully.  But I've never heard anything to make me believe West was a serious collector or researcher, like Grant, Kelver, & others.  (I have heard plenty to make me believe he was a crackpot.)

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Dec 26th, 2013 at 1:37am
Print Post  
I stand by West's first edition as being the best out there. Tons of photos of actual guns from collections. Not just a collection of excerpts from old catalogs which is what Strong's book is. It is a nice book but one that does not meet your criteria. West's book is in chronological order which is good in some ways and bad in others. Looking at a copy before paying $200 would be a good idea. Think I paid $100 for mine several years back and consider it money well spent. Grants books are good with much good information but you would need all of them to have good coverage of all the guns and West's book has more info in one book and has great photos of original guns. I wish I had kept good records on how much I have spent on reference material on guns over the years. Just bought a great book on Remington .22 Rifles that just went out of production. The good thing is that the good books are like the good guns, the prices keep going up if you sell later on. Sure wish I could come up with copies of the American Rifleman articles on Stevens mentioned by Redseter. I would gladly pay someone a fair price for photocopies of these articles if they have the original magazines.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Dec 26th, 2013 at 9:43am
Print Post  
slumlord44 wrote on Dec 26th, 2013 at 1:37am:
Looking at a copy before paying $200 would be a good idea.

I've heard enough about it to terminate that idea.  (Especially when I know from decades of book buying & selling that the booksellers offering it at that price probably have no more than $50 in it.)

I don't mind sending copies of those Tedmon articles--they ought to be better known.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Dec 26th, 2013 at 10:50am
Print Post  
The ASSRA archives has complete sets of the Rifleman along with a lot of other valuable reference information that is accessible to members.   That is the purpose and intent of "our archive" and why part of our Association dues are used to support it.   

I'd not be surprised if our Archivist might not be induced to copy and put together a package of those articles for members.  If he sees this thread he might already be working on it and making a master file of the copies for further need.

Members can also borrow books so you might want to check as see if those books "you need to look at before spending $200" are available for loan.

I'd also like to suggest that in making plans for the long-term future of our personal collections; we give consideration to placing reference material in the ASSRA archives for the use of future single-shotters.   

Just as a minor post-Christmas rant Wink We, myself included are often frustrated by a lack of information about interesting single shot information on the gunsmiths, guns, loads, bullet design etc etc etc of an earlier era.   I ask, rhetorically of course, if WE are doing OUR share of providing our single shot shooting descendants with the information we generate and collect; or are we also contributing to the historical data vacuum.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Reg

Reply #22 - Dec 26th, 2013 at 11:54am
Print Post  
If the archivist would come up with a set of those articles, could it be posted .  I for one would like a set.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Dec 26th, 2013 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
You'll have to contact him to be sure. But, making copies for members for educational purposes may be one thing; actually posting on-line might be another, from a legal/copyright standpoint.

Its been a while since I had to deal with copyright issues and the laws have changed in some areas.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Dec 26th, 2013 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Redsetter, to add to your list, these were sent to me by the NRA:
Stevens
Model 44 rifle      5/l8/40, 7/ll/40
Model 44½ rifle      7/l3/30, l/45/35, 5/l8/40, 7/ll/40, 5/24/80

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Dec 26th, 2013 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
QuestionableMaynard8130 wrote on Dec 26th, 2013 at 12:18pm:

Its been a while since I had to deal with copyright issues and the laws have changed in some areas.

Thanks to the congressional votes bought by lobbyists for the publishing & movie industries, copyright has been extended to cover everything produced later than about 1920.  The US Congress--best that money can buy.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Dec 26th, 2013 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Dec 26th, 2013 at 1:56pm:
Redsetter, to add to your list, these were sent to me by the NRA:
Stevens
Model 44 rifle      5/l8/40, 7/ll/40
Model 44½ rifle      7/l3/30, l/45/35, 5/l8/40, 7/ll/40, 5/24/80

Thanks--pretty surprised they did this for you.

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Dec 26th, 2013 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Reg wrote on Dec 26th, 2013 at 11:54am:
If the archivist would come up with a set of those articles, could it be posted .  I for one would like a set.

I'd be more than willing to pay for the articles to offset the cost, if that's even possible these days.

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #28 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 12:02am
Print Post  
The Archives charges $3.00 for a copy of an article plus postage. It is done as a service to the ASSRA and the $$ help pay the rent for the space. The lucky Archivist is a volunteer so all of the $$ goes to the ASSRA.

The catalog of books and magazines in the Archives can be found at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links). I am now sorting catalogs. I hope to get this done some day!

Cheers,
Laurie

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

RoyB
Oldtimer

Reply #29 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 5:16am
Print Post  
Lauri,

I would gladly pay just about anything for NRA:
Stevens
Model 44 rifle      5/l8/40, 7/ll/40
Model 44½ rifle      7/l3/30, l/45/35, 5/l8/40, 7/ll/40, 5/24/80 

How do I actually order these?

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint