Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Pros And Cons Using A Bloop Tube (Read 7031 times)
Myers
Senior Forum Member

Pros And Cons Using A Bloop Tube
Dec 24th, 2013 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
For those who have used them with centerfire rifles, Is it worth the time to try one?

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Pros And Cons Using A Bloop Tube
Reply #1 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
There at least two reasons to use them.

1. Sight radius, but you can do it other ways

2. To add weight to a rifle. I use one this way

Frank
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2013 at 5:10pm by frnkeore »  

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #2 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
When I was younger I had a 6 inch extension tube on my 30 inch .32 RKS Hoch rifle to improve sight radius.

As I got older I had trouble getting a good sight picture on the aperature further down the barrel. 
Discovered shorter barrels worked better for aging eyes because you could get a sharper sight picture on the closer front sights.

The sharpness of your sight picture is more important than the extended sight distance.

Secondly as you extend your sight distance you also need to find front aperatures that are wide enough.
That ussually requires drilling out apertures or else installing an adjustable front aperature.

Yes that long barrel with an extension tube weighed about 19 pounds and it was hard to shoot more than 10 shots offhand. But she was accurate as **!!.
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2013 at 1:40pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Myers
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Besides extending the sight radius what about more wind deflection? Old Wives Tale?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
Don't have one on a CF rifle, but I do on a .22 RF rifle. It's a full size Rolling Block sporting rifle in .22 LR with a 22" barrel and 10" bloop tube permanently attached as part of the rifle barrel. I fired the gun with the 22" barrel and it was extremely accurate, but I wasn't steady offhand with the short barrel. Had John Talyor extend the barrel with bloop tube to take advantage of the better balance more than sight radius, although with iron sights it does help accuracy.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Older shooters in Highpower and smallbore use bloop tube to extend the sight radius because they are becoming far sighted.  A another possible benefit is your sight increments become smaller 1/4 min become 1/6min etc due the increase in sight radius.
Young shooters like the look and smaller sight increment. I used one witha bolt gun and an AR-15 in Match Rifle. 
Kurt

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Have a specific problem to solve ? Front sight picture or slow down swing with weight are the most common reasons for one. If so Best way to find out if it's right for you is use one.

Boats

IP Logged

Myers
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Dec 25th, 2013 at 8:09am
Print Post  
I started the thread to hear others experiences. I know for fact that extending the front sight gives you finer sight adjustments. The other question which has not been answered is wind deflection. Is there any proof that a bloop tube will help a rifle shoot better by deflecting the wind as the bullet exits the muzzle?

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Dec 25th, 2013 at 8:41am
Print Post  
Jmo but the extra length should have little affect on wind deflection. but possible affects that are similar to crown angle maybe an issue. I always felt that the bore of the tube needs cleaning to reduced possible turbulence random crude could cause. Again jmo

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Dec 25th, 2013 at 11:28am
Print Post  
bnice wrote on Dec 25th, 2013 at 8:41am:
Jmo but the extra length should have little affect on wind deflection. but possible affects that are similar to crown angle maybe an issue. I always felt that the bore of the tube needs cleaning to reduced possible turbulence random crude could cause. Again jmo

That is a very good point, and one I've always considered when shooting mine. I clean the bloop tube portion first, and make sure I get the crown clean as well. The muzzle and crown will probably have more affect on the bullet as it exits than a dirty tube. Then I pull the bore cleaner back toward the action, so I don't push anything out that could deposit at the muzzle again.
Since I shot mine a lot before the bloop tube was added, I can't see any real change in accuracy when shot off the bag, but offhand I am steadier with it now.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Dec 26th, 2013 at 7:15am
Print Post  
They were popular in silhouette some years ago. Friend of mine put one on his 64 MS Anschutz.  He thought it made the rifle move more in wind. Slowed his wobble down in calm.  Nuisance to clean he took it off.

I think but can't say for sure bloop tubes found a hole in NRA rules that did not allow barrel weights, tube was not considered a weight. You never see them in matches anymore.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint