Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) advice wanted (Read 4261 times)
Mick B
Oldtimer

advice wanted
Dec 24th, 2013 at 7:22am
Print Post  
I'm considering the purchase of a new rifle in either 40/65 or 40/60 Maynard, I have narrowed down my action selection to either a Hi Wall with DST or a Ballard, replicas, not originals. The rifle will be used for black powder silhouette and bench rest shoots.
I currently have CVPA Stevens in 38/56, 45/70 and 45/90, the sale of these will finance the new rifle. I had a 40/65 and was more than happy with it but a change would be as good as a holiday.  The cost of brass is not a consideration, I thought the 40/60 Maynard may be a bit easier to work up a load for, the 38/56 has proved a little difficult in the past. Any thoughts regarding action sources and barrels would be appreciated. I believe that Meacham is no longer making a suitable DST Hi Wall.
Mike.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: advice wanted
Reply #1 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 9:40am
Print Post  
Mick,  
I don't know of anybody currently making highwalls or Ballards with a double set trigger. If S. Meacham is no longer making them, then C Sharps would be the only company making the highwall but it is with a single set trigger.
I have 3 highwalls with the Helm schuetzen triggers and I think they are great.  I chose the widespaced triggers for ease of shooting offhand.  For me, it's a matter of bringing up the rifle to shooting position and setting the back trigger with the rifle pointed down range.  With a single set I have to balance the rifle pointed torwards the ground, setting the trigger and then bring the rifle up to position.  If I were going to build one, I would check with Wyoming Armory and see if they have all the parts available for the Helm triggers and then look for a used action.  Otherwise, you'll just have to wait for a used rifle to show up. I've never owned a Ballard so can't make a comparison between the two actions.  Bob

IP Logged

majorfs45

Reply #2 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 10:09am
Print Post  
They offer single set or double set triggers at Wyoming Armory in the Winchester 1885 style rifle.  Steve Garbe had a couple rifles at the National Silhouette match in Raton in 2012.  The rifles handled and looked great.  He was taking orders, not sure if any have been shipped, but they are showing both triggers on the website.  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 10:29am
Print Post  
Talk to John King in Kila, Mt.  I'm not sure if he's still making Double Set High Walls, but if he will make you one, you will have one second to none.  His source for the action parts is the same as Wyoming Armory.

dave

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 11:00am
Print Post  
C.Sharps will sell you a complete High Wall action in the white or build the rifle for you with the barrel of your choice. I certainly like mine. SST w/GM barrel. Never a problem with the SST in any shooting position. Great trigger. So much so that both of my Low Walls have the SST.

Don't give up on the 38-56. Have finally started getting mine to shoot. Discovered it is like most BPCR rifles.......... if your technique isn't great neither is your score. Tied my personal best and then set a new best the next day at the last match of the season in Oct. Looking forward to continued improvement starting in Mar.
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2013 at 4:23pm by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #5 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Left Side: .40-65 WCF + 410 grain Boomer Money
Right Side:.40-60 Maynard + 425 grain Paul Jones  Creedmore

I can drop tube Swiss in the .40-60 Maynard and get similar compression. 
However I need a compression die to get consistent compression in the .40-65 WCF (because of the flared base of the case).

Cannot get either case locally so I have to blow out .30-40 Krag cases or .303 British cases to form the .40-60 Maynard. 
Or compress .45-70 cases to make .40-65 WCF cases. Much cheaper to make the Maynard cases.

I have a preference for the straight wall Maynard case however both cases perform the same. 
I believe Steve Garbe also likes the Maynard case. We should ask him why he prefers it if he does.

I have had single set High Walls and they worked just as well as my double set triggers. I have never understood other's complaints about single set triggers.
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2013 at 3:33pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys.
I had a Miroku 1885 Hi Wall with a Lee Shaver trigger job and it was very very good, However for shooting off the bench I feel the DST is better as it can be set for a very light pull which is adjustable. My Stevens have double triggers. My leaning is towards the 40/60 Maynard simply because 303 brass is easy to come by here, and being a straight case it may be easier to work up a load for. And heck, it's something I have never had.
Y'all have a great Xmas.
Mike.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
You might also talk to member Deadeye Bly. He will know any of the in's & out's of the Maynard cartridge, if there are any.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Dec 24th, 2013 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
I don't have as much experience with the 40/60 Maynard as the 40/65 but I have some. The 303 brass will be a little short, around .030-.040" short when fireformed. Krag brass is a better choice or the .405 Hornady brass, but the chamber will need to be cut especially for the .405 brass.

I have found the best way to form the brass is to expand the necks to hold a lead 38 special pistol bullet, charge with 8-10 grains of unique, fireform and trim. The necks will be more uniform this way compared to expanding the necks in stages.

I am able to get 53-55 grains of 1 1/2 Swiss into the Maynard case with a Brooks 420 Creedmoor bullet with a reduced front band. I get 58 grains in my 40/65 with the same bullet, so the two loads are quite comparable. I've shot two silhouette matches with the 40/60 but not with as much success as my 40/65. 

I've got a highwall in 40/65 that crapped out several years ago and I'll rebarrel it this winter to either the 40/50 Sharps Straight or the 40/60 Maynard. I'm not sure yet which one it will be.

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Dec 25th, 2013 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Looks like the Krag case is the way to go, this means I will have to import them from the US which can be difficult sometimes. Can anyone give me a contact number or email address for John King in Kila MT please so I can get in touch with him regarding building the rifle.
Seasons greetings to you all and thanks for all the help.
Mike.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Dec 25th, 2013 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Mick B wrote on Dec 25th, 2013 at 6:36pm:
Can anyone give me a contact number or email address for John King in Kila MT please so I can get in touch with him regarding building the rifle.
Mike.

King Machine Service
Po Box 700
Kila, MT. 59920

(406) 755-5352

Leave a concise message with what you want if you call, John doesn't usually direct answer his phone.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint