Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Video Camera Spotting Scope Connector (Read 7763 times)
Bobduck

Video Camera Spotting Scope Connector
Dec 19th, 2013 at 10:22am
Print Post  
I'm new to the forum but have been shooting old rifles all my life.

Have any of you had any experience attaching a video camera to a spotting scope.

I do long range shooting, up to 1000 yards, on our family homestead in north central Montana.  I need a spotter to see bullet strikes but don't always have one available (I'm 37 miles from the nearest town).

I'm looking into attaching a video camera to a spotting scope and taping the target area while I shoot then playing back the video on a laptop to see the bullet strike.

I've found some adaptors online but am wondering if anyone has any experience with this idea.

Bobduck

IP Logged

CaryT

Re: Video Camera Spotting Scope Connector
Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2013 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
I saw a system that was actually attached to the rifle scope and used to position the rifle for firing.  This was done on a Weatherby and used for long range Handicapped competition.  As near as I could tell it worked fairly well but in talking to the individual it was expensive.
So seeing this I would assume that the same thing could be possible for a spotting scope.  You might also want to look into systems that actually have a camera posted at the target area and wirelessly transmit a video image back to your shooting station to a computer or monitor.Some of these have been featured on youtube.
Check em out.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Cary

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 19th, 2013 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Another option you might consider is a wireless target camera...
The camera sits downrange near the target, transmitting the picture to your laptop next to you. It records the video, so you can see where your hits are.

Don't have any links handy (work computer), but google "Target camera" and you should turn up a couple pre-build systems.
Hope this helps!

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Dec 19th, 2013 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Anything can be found if you got money. Check this out!  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
A friend on mine uses a video camera and a wireless router to a lap top. I think it is only good for 200yds and requires ac power at the target.
Kurt

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Dec 19th, 2013 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Lee Shaver did a review on one of these setups ( not sure of the brand ) in the Single Shot Exchange.

A while back I lent my Meade 8" telescope to my nephew.  I just got it back.  I wonder how well it would work as a spotting scope.  It has tremendous light gathering ability ( 200mm mirror ) and 77 power.  I imagine it'd be pretty decent if mirage didn't make all of that magnification useless Smiley

Chris.

IP Logged

Walter  Matera
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 19th, 2013 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
That's why I think that a remote camera closer to the target (and well-bunkered, of course) would be more useful.  Biggsie posted a video a while back of a German range where each position had a monitor over the shooter's head to give instant feedback of where the shots were hitting.  I don't see why that couldn't be engineered to be a portable setup.

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
There are pre-built setups of target camera's with battery packs, external antenna's, etc good for 1000+ yards.
Again, don't have the links handy on my work computer (and can't get to most "gun" sites from work to look them up..).

They might seem a little expensive, but compare the cost to a "really good" spotting scope that can spot shot holes at 1000 yards, PLUS a video camera and attachment hardware... and you come out ahead. 

I think in the next couple years, we're going to see target camera's come down in price.

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Ha.. found one of the sites I looked at;

About $800, 2500 yard range, wireless, battery powered, comes with the 7" screen to view.
No idea if it's any good, but it's a start!

IP Logged

RoyB
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
that "Target Cam" looks like a great system! And not too expensive.

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
IP Logged

Bobduck

Reply #9 - Dec 21st, 2013 at 10:13am
Print Post  
Thanks for everyone's help.

I'm doing some experimenting over the weekend.   

I'll let you know if I come up with anything useful.

Bobduck

IP Logged

Bobduck

Reply #10 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Over the weekend I fashioned a mount out of plywood that connected my digital still camera to my spotting scope which is a 24 power Unertil.  I was able to get good quality still photographs at 100 yards with this set up.

Next step is to get a video camera and see how that works.

Bobduck

IP Logged

Bobduck

Reply #11 - Dec 26th, 2013 at 11:58am
Print Post  
I purchased an inexpensive video camera from Best Buy and had a chance to experiment with it over the week end.  The guys at Best Buy were intrigued with my project.  I can return the camera by January 15th if it doesn't work for me.

It as a 32 power zoom and I was surprised at how clear the image was.  Just using the camera zoomed in on my 100 yard home range I shot some 22 rimfire at some steel targets and also some shots into the snow to see if I could see the bullet strikes.

At 100 yards I had no problem seeing the bullet strikes when I played the video back on my computer.

I won't have a chance to try it at 1000 yards until this spring but I see no problem with this set up working at that range.  My 1000 yard target is a full size cut out of a buffalo from 3/8 inch steel.  It was given to me so I don't know what kind of steel it is but bullet strikes don't make any mark on the target at all.  It appears at 1000 yards this target will be about 1 inch wide on my computer screen and my field of view will be about 160 feet wide and 80 feet high.  It's about the same field of view vertically as with my Unertl 24x63 spotting scope.

I think this is going to work.

If you're interested here's a link to a webpage I created which shows my 1000 yard range on our family homestead.

Bobduck

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jan 3rd, 2014 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
gunlaker wrote on Dec 19th, 2013 at 6:52pm:
Lee Shaver did a review on one of these setups ( not sure of the brand ) in the Single Shot Exchange.

A while back I lent my Meade 8" telescope to my nephew.  I just got it back.  I wonder how well it would work as a spotting scope.  It has tremendous light gathering ability ( 200mm mirror ) and 77 power.  I imagine it'd be pretty decent if mirage didn't make all of that magnification useless Smiley

Chris.

I've been using an old B&L 4" astronomical scope as a spotting scope for several years.  Had to stop it down with a piece of cardboard, since the mirror ain't all it should be.  I do not use extreme magnification, which just exacerbates the mirror issues.   What I really like is that it has a very good alt-azimuth mount that can be adjusted for aim very easily.   Had to get used to the upside-down-and-backwards image though.

<div class=

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jan 3rd, 2014 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Does your telescope accept different eyepieces?  I can put in an inverter to take care of flipping the image.  It comes with a small cost to light transmission though.  But with an 8" mirror there would be lots of light...

IP Logged

RoyB
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Jan 4th, 2014 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Bobduck!

Great piece of property you have out there in Montana.

I'd love to stop by and do some shooting if you will be repeating last Septembers event.

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint