Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Newbie question- help w/die set for 6.5m Creedmoor (Read 7652 times)
MarTay6
Ex Member

Newbie question- help w/die set for 6.5m Creedmoor
Nov 10th, 2013 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Hi, All-
I'm building a 6.5 Creedmoor based on a Savage Target Action- tuned/trued- with a Brux barrel. My first foray into handloading, I'd rather buy a good set of dies up front- and not have to upgrade at a later date. I'm not going to be a high-volume reloader, and am not planning on going with a progressive press at this time- will probably never load more than 100 rounds at a session. And right now, only in this caliber. 
I think I've kind of narrowed my selection down to these:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
or
or
With the Whidden's, which setup do I need? Would I want the bushing- or non-bushing sizer die? What's the difference between the two? Is the micrometer seater worth the extra $$$'s? I don't mind spending money to get the best- but I don't want to waste money, either. I want to load accurate ammo- and work to develop loads- but I'm not going to be a competition level shooter, either. I am my own competitor, I guess you could say!!
Any comments/thoughts/further suggestions?? 
Thanks-
Wes

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Re: Newbie question- help w/die set for 6.5m Creedmoor
Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2013 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
First; Welcome!

Second, I should point out that this is not really a forum for bolt-action rifles... though many here "cross polinate" from Single Shots to bolt actions...

I would go with the bushing style die. Bushing dies use a replaceable bushing to size the neck of the case. THis lets you choose the bushing size that works BEST with your particular batch of brass. It controls the amount of neck-tension on the bullet.
Down side is you'll probably spend $100 trying a couple different sizes of bushings to find the perfect one.

Next, the micrometer seating dies are DEFINITELY worthwhile for seating bullets on precision reloads.

Don't have time right now to read those links and give you a specific suggestion - but I will try to later.

Again, WELCOME and we're going to hold you at water-pistol point until you buy a decent Single Shot rifle!  I suggest a Winchester High Wall myself... but that's me.   Cheesy

Paul F.

IP Logged

MarTay6
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2013 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Hi, Paul-
And THANKS for the welcome- in spite of my question might perhaps be perceived to be misplaced- but IN MY DEFENSE, it is a single shot bolt action!!  Wink
Besides, everyone knows that the most knowledge/experience resides with those who don't need more than one shot to hit their target... so that's why I came here for advice. (I'm also putting together a Thompson Center Contender in .223... I know... that's just a popgun to you guys!)
Yes, I'd definitely appreciate it if you could look at those 3 dies and make any suggestions or recommendations... They all 3 look like good options to me, just not experienced enough to make the best choice. 
Definitely in love with those Winchester High Wall's.. Of course, I'm sure you're referring to originals~ *s* I just recently learned of the 'reproduction' Brownings/Winchesters, and think they're beautiful rifles.. might get myself one for a retirement present next year... but who knows, I may evolve further to the oldies by then!
Wes
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2013 at 3:58pm by »  

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2013 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
No turning-bolt actions here. With or without a hammer.

That said, I use a Whidden FL sizing die for my 6.5x47L F-Class rifle and think it is a fine piece of gear.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 10th, 2013 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Wes;
The High Wall doesn't have to be original.... repro's are welcome here!  As SSShooter says, them turning-bolt's... um.. not so much. Wink

The Midway link seems dead (at least right now)... 
I don't know anything about Whidden's custom dies, but the Redding die set from LRPrecision is what I would go with.  I LIKE Redding dies, and have had excellent luck with them.
If, however, Whidden happens to use the same chamber dimensions/reamer for their dies as your barrel was chambered with - it may be a better bet.

Paul F.

IP Logged

MarTay6
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 10th, 2013 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Sorry about the Midway link... here it is again- 
Hope that works. 
Again, sorry for intruding into a wrong forum! Funny... I was just watching a bit of a show this afternoon on the history between the LA Gangs the Blood's and the Crip's... guess I know how it feels to get caught in the wrong neighborhood! At least you guys aren't shooting at me! (Amazing the TV shows one finds when confined to a recliner/recuperating from foot surgery!) 
Paul- how would I determine the chamber dimensions from the barrel I'm getting- and the dimensions from the Whidden dies- write each of them and ask? 
Wes

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 10th, 2013 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
I own too few sets of Hornady dies to "grade" them properly... So I can't comment.  My 8.15x46R dies are Hornady, and I have no complaints.
Aside from that, they would be considered a "standard" die set. Probably fine, but the Bushing die, and the Micrometer seating die (whether Redding, or another brands similar offering) will give you more control of your loaded rounds, should you choose to excercise it.

This is a far friendlier forum than some.... one gun forum I used to frequent (non-single shot), they would just outright ban someone if they didn't like the question. No warning, just "off to the cornfield with you".   

Hmm.. I wonder, could 6.5 Creedmoor be put in a High Wall?  Smiley

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 10th, 2013 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Oops.. forgot to answer the last question...

Sorta depends on who cut the chamber in that barrel?
Your smith? Brux Barrels? 
It PROBABLY won't matter much, as long as it's a quality chambering job... and using a Brux barrel shows decent taste.

The Widden dies may be just the ticket... but I can't really comment, not having used 'em.

Paul F.

IP Logged

MarTay6
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 10th, 2013 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Paul-
The chamber's being cut by Sharp Shooter Supply, the same one who's doing the true & time job on the action... I imagine I can get the info as to the chamber reamer dimensions from them, Lisa's been very helpful in my dealings with them. The round sounds like a pretty good choice for me... a round that it's not difficult to get good accuracy out of- I decided it'd be a good choice for me with my inexperience. I'd think it'd be a good round in any action. Before I decided to this route with this gun, I was strongly studying the EAB rifle... not quite sure why I digressed in the direction I did.... but I'm still VERY interested in a falling block-actioned rifle... very. 
Wes

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 10th, 2013 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Ah.. you're in good hands with Sharp Shooters Supply...
They (I have heard) can be slow with delivery, but they do quality work.
Wouldn't hurt to ask 'em what dies they recommend!

IP Logged

Lefty38-55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Nov 10th, 2013 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Quote:
... you're in good hands with Sharp Shooters Supply ... they do quality work.

Ditto, plus I'd bet $$ Fred from SSS could provide with the exact chamber dimensions.

All of my single shots shoot one tiny ragged hole with cast bullets ... it's just the following shots that tend to open up my groups Wink ...

IP Logged

MarTay6
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 10th, 2013 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
I know that Fred has a great reputation. I'm more concerned with quality than immediate gratification. I'm willing to wait for a quality product. Fred & Lisa had some recent health problems that slowed them down, but they're back on track. 
Same reason I waited for 6 months for a White Oaks barrel... and still waiting on the return of my A2 upper from them for sight work- they're the best at what they do. 
Asking Fred for die recommendations is an OUTSTANDING idea... thanks! I hadn't thought of that. 
Wes

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Nov 10th, 2013 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
You might get more answers about 6.5 Creedmoor on this site.
kurt

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

MarTay6
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 11th, 2013 at 5:57am
Print Post  
Not sure why you recommended that forum- it is STRICTLY about the matches at Camp Perry... Thanks anyway... 
Wes

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Nov 11th, 2013 at 9:06am
Print Post  
If you want to compare Chamber Dim's with Die Dim's you can make a ferrosafe cast of both. When you have both in hand remember they should not be the same, die has to size smaller than the chamber.

However the easy way to go is use a bushing neck size die and forget about the rest. Once the brass is fire formed no need to go back to the F/L dies. Long as it will chamber with the F/L die size first time it's all that's important.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint