Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic My New Brass Mold (Read 2276 times)
RoyB
Oldtimer

My New Brass Mold
Nov 1st, 2013 at 6:47am
Print Post  
I have a number of 38-55 rifles. Most of them are extremely accurate with .378-.379 bullets. But one of them, A Lyman Ideal "mini-Sharps" needs a much larger bullet otherwise it tumbles bullets badly. I ordered a .380, two cavity, brass mold from Accurate Molds. It arrived within two weeks!
When I got it I wanted to place it in the bookcase as a piece of art! It was simply beautiful!
But I finally got time to throw some lead and away I went.
First I used a tooth brush, Dawn dishwashing liquid and very hot water to give it a good cleaning.
I put the mold on my little electric hot plate and got it up to 300 degrees.
My lead is 20-1 from RotoMetals and I use a PID to keep the temperature at 725 degrees.
The first three casts were slightly wrinkled but the fourth pour was perfect. I've never owned a "high-End" mold. Everything I have is Lee, Lyman and RCBS. All my molds need a bit of persuasion with a wooden hammer to release the bullets. But this Accurate mold just drops the bullets upon opening. Beautiful!
The bullets are perfect specimens of a cast bullet..and measure EXACTLY .380 with my alloy.
Accuracy out of the Lyman is "Benchrest" accurate!

I think I'm going to replace a bunch of my molds with Accurate brass versions......

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: My New Brass Mold
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2013 at 6:59am
Print Post  
Nice. Will have to check them out. 
Have found that the three semi-custom (BACo) moulds I have do a good job of dropping the bullet. My custom Brooks mould, on the other hand, is the worst mould I've got on this issue and have to beat it to get the bullet to drop. Have two SAECO, a Lyman and RCBS that are also good at dropping the bullet.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

rkaires
Frequent Elocutionist

No Stronger Bond

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2013 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Roy,

That's good to know. I just ordered a tapered Ron Long style .40 cal mould from Accurate a week ago. I just received a e-mail from Tom this morning that its on the way. I can't wait to start casting for a 40-50SS Bartlein barrel CPA is installing on my Mod 52.

Bob

ASSRA #11031
NRA Life
Proud Noodlehead

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands
around reloading."~ ~ Thomas Jefferson

IP Logged

MikeT
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Nov 3rd, 2013 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
The only down side to the Accurate Brass molds is the extra weight.  They are heavier than cast iron molds, but they cast perfectly smooth bullets.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #4 - Nov 3rd, 2013 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Just took a look at the website. The amount of designs offered are as many as the stars in the sky.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint