Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Russ Weber v Plugged Case Breech Seater (Read 5650 times)
John Boy
Ex Member

Russ Weber v Plugged Case Breech Seater
Oct 25th, 2013 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
I currently use plugged cases for the 32-40 in a CPA and 22LR (BP reloads) for any SS rifle.  Next venture will be breech seated 45-70's in a '74 Sharps and '85 HiWall.  
Which seater?  Plugged Case or Russ Weber's or both?

IP Logged

rkaires
Frequent Elocutionist

No Stronger Bond

Re: Russ Weber v Plugged Case Breech Seater
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2013 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
I used a plugged case in my CPA for a while and had decent accuracy with my bullet/load combination. I started using a Weber seater a few months ago with the same load experienced a noticeable decrease in group sizes.

Its possible I was becoming more familiar with my rifle but I feel the accuracy improvement was do to using the Weber seater.  Everything else was the same when using the plugged case.

Bob

ASSRA #11031
NRA Life
Proud Noodlehead

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands
around reloading."~ ~ Thomas Jefferson

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2013 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
a plugged case, even one with an adjustable depth plug, relies on the camming action of the breech-block movement to force the plugged case and bullet into the throat of the chamber to the set depth.   on some actions this works really well, Stevens being one as I recall.  However Winchester and others, where the levered block moves perpendicular to the breech face of the chamber, generates very little camming action unless the top edge of the block is beveled. And even then it is seldom enough to seat a bullet full length into the throat.  thats why push. lever, cam, and toggle style mechanical seaters were developed.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2013 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Here is my home made adjustable plug seater  the pencilcad drawing showing its components.  The photo of the case shows it extended to 2.42" when flush it is 2.15".   In my Ballard the tapered Saeco bullet can be almost thumb seated when flush so camming works fine.  Other bullets need the mechanical stirrup seater I use.

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #4 - Oct 25th, 2013 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Plugged case or precision breech seater. I cant tell the difference. Not good enough at shooting groups.  The breech seater with bullet held in a case, should be more accurate. Should.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2013 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
a whole lot depends on the variables of chamber/throat and bullet design and the alloy. A bullet with a lot of forward bore rider surface and short fat groove-plus back end will seat easier than a complete nose to driving band taper where a bunch of ridges have to be forced into the rifling.   A harder alloy as often used for some high velocity loads requires a seater with good leverage and a longer handle---or a 4 pound hammer

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint