Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Harry Pope Question? (Read 8428 times)
SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Harry Pope Question?
Oct 8th, 2013 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
When did Harry Pope and his fellow competitors make the transition to smokeless powder? Was it before or after the turn of the century? 
Is there a good book that covers the details on such things as the move to smokeless powders and breach-seating rather than false muzzles and other technical changes? Thanks.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Re: Harry Pope Question?
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
I was going to suggest THE BREECH LOADING MATCH RIFLE by Roberts and Waters. But a quick check on line shows even the Wolfe reprint at close to 200.00.
Might as well wait for Tom Rowes three sets of books on Pope for 250.00 a set. Shocked

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 8:30am
Print Post  
If you’re talking Harry Pope the answer is never. Pope always maintained that his Schuetzen barrels were designed to be used with black powder, Wood powders like Kings semi-smokeless or duplexed powders using one of the first two as the main charge.
  Hudson started experimenting with smokeless powders in the late 1890s (I can’t lay my hands on a date). Others followed but in the classic era before WWI they were not in wide use. 
  Shooting charges of smokeless became more popular during the “second coming” in the late 20s and 30s but their use was far from the norm.
  It became increasingly popular with the dawn of the ASSRA till today it is more the norm than the exception.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 8:53am
Print Post  
Tom_Trevor assra life no.71 wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 6:25pm:
I was going to suggest THE BREECH LOADING MATCH RIFLE by Roberts and Waters. But a quick check on line shows even the Wolfe reprint at close to 200.00.
Might as well wait for Tom Rowes three sets of books on Pope for 250.00 a set. Shocked

I was all set to offer my copy of the Wolfe reprint (since I also have the original ed.) for the "bargain" price of $100, but I checked Abe & found several copies in the $80-90 range; that's still higher than I'd have thought, though this work is so indispensable that even $200 wouldn't be too much to pay if no cheaper copy were available.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 9:47am
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Oct 9th, 2013 at 8:30am:
Hudson started experimenting with smokeless powders in the late 1890s (I can’t lay my hands on a date). Others followed but in the classic era before WWI they were not in wide use. 40 Rod

In "Modern Rifle Shooting," 1903, Hudson notes that while BP was still the propellant most commonly used in Schuetzen rifles, "L&R Sharpshooter gives as great accuracy [as BP] and has the advantage of being smokeless and developing only about half the recoil."   

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #5 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 11:25am
Print Post  
By 1903 Hudson was already well known enough for using the new smokeless powders that he arleady had designed the Hudson style bullet and it was in production by Ideal. Also George Schoyen was advertising that he would do the special throating on rifles so they could be used with the Hudson bullet. 
  It would seem that Hudson had been working with smokeless powders somewhere between 1893 when they were introduced in America and 1903 when Hudson made the statement. Somewhere I remember that he started  in 1897 or 1898 but I can't find it. Or it may be a brain fart. Either way it seems logical that Hudson at least was shooting the new powders prior to 1903.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 11:48am
Print Post  
Sharpshooter was a double-base powder with a lot of nitroglycerine, maybe 40 %.  It was thought to be very tough on barrels, more so on soft steel barrels.  Does anyone know if Walter Hudson made any reports on barrel life or expectancy?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Early on the first smokeless powders proved to be corrosive also, and some shooters found their bores damaged by the early smokeless, which set back the smokeless powder change for many shooters.
Later changes in the makeup of smokeless made it less corrosive and shooters gravitated toward it again when it proved to be non corrosive.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Oct 9th, 2013 at 11:48am:
Sharpshooter was a double-base powder with a lot of nitroglycerine, maybe 40 %.  It was thought to be very tough on barrels, more so on soft steel barrels.  Does anyone know if Walter Hudson made any reports on barrel life or expectancy?

Not in "M.R.S"--published BY the L&R Co.!  Phil Sharpe called Sharpshooter "tremendously erosive," but it was still widely used into the late '30s because (he says) of "superior ballistics."

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Oct 10th, 2013 at 9:01am
Print Post  
On a similar note, did Pope and his likes ever go to breech seating or did they always load from the muzzle?  When did breechseating get its start? Bob

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #10 - Oct 11th, 2013 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Once he started making barrels on the "Shalk system” Pope himself always used a breech-muzzleloader for centerfire. He made barrels both for Breech-seating and muzzleloading. He believed firmly that muzzle-loading was more accurate and his guarantees for accuracy were closer for muzzle- loading barrels that breech-seated barrels. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

Lefty38-55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Just read in Maj. N. Roberts book how many duplex loads were used following the advent of smokeless powdah ...

All of my single shots shoot one tiny ragged hole with cast bullets ... it's just the following shots that tend to open up my groups Wink ...

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #12 - Oct 19th, 2013 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
Was Pope's Duplex Powder Measure (invented prior to his association w/ Stevens, IIRC) for black w/ a smokeless kicker, smokeless w/ a black kicker, or for two grades of one or the other?  I'm thinking he was using at least some smokeless pretty early on, based on that measure.

Also, re Hudson and breech seating in front of smokeless powder;  He observed sometime before his death (I believe about 1910-1912) that he had converted over to just using smokeless and breech seating for best results and just got out his old breech-muzzle loaders and black occasionally for nostalgia.  I think this was gleaned from one of my Kelver books, but they are all in storage right now and I can't lay my hands on any of them.

Froggie

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #13 - Oct 19th, 2013 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Charlie, I believe the Pope measure came before Stevens. Case in point . My Hartford Pope outfit came with a Pope measure. Also all the Pope measures I have seen the Powder measure body was made from a Powdered Chocklate canister can modified to fit the base casting and the lid is kind of crude. Don't think Stevens would have any of that on a product carrying their name. Pope was a frugal person and would not have wasted effort on something he could purchase and convert. By the way to those who questioned the breech seating  process. I have a Schoyen Muzzle loading outfit .33-40. When I first got it I had no bullets that would Breech seat reasonably. But a number of freinds offered Muzzle loading sized bullets. Just for fun I tried them with Smokeless loads. They shot superbly. Just loaded them from the muzzle and loaded the charged case at the breech and shot them.
Food for thought as everyone I know thinks that Muzzle Loading with smokeless won't work. Regards, FITZ.  Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Oct 19th, 2013 at 1:44pm
Print Post  

Yea, I got a lot of that too when I first started !!! Even folk's on this Forum said "only use "Black" !!!

Go over to the ML forum and mention Smokeless and it's "Katie bar the Door" !!! Now, I try it all, Red-Dot, Shot-Gun powder, mixed load's etc, etc...
No endorsement, just me is all  Shocked.  Just start low, ya never know !!!

Ed....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint