Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Tamarac high temp lube (Read 3580 times)
yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Tamarac high temp lube
Oct 3rd, 2013 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
I was digging around in the junk I have collected over the years and found 4 tubs of Tamarac High Temp lube, is it of any use for plain base cast bullets at 1200 to 1400 fps? I also found a stick of Javelina scheutzen lube, I've been told Javelina is no longer made, is that so? Finally, is the Xlox liquid on ebay as good as Lee liquid allox?
Thanks Mike

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Tamarac high temp lube
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2013 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
Well, if you mean the "Xlox" liquid that is sold by White Label, it's as good or better than the Lee for tumble-lubing pistol bullets, and a good bit cheaper. That's all I ever use that stuff for.  

If you want some, get on it quickly.  They just had a bad fire in the production shed a couple of days ago, so all there will be is the stock-on-hand to fill orders for a while.  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I also use Lars' Xlox 2500 Plus for my well-used "beater" Swiss K31, which I am shooting 2600+ fps using a linotype-like alloy.   No leading at all, and it often shot close to 1MOA with the issue sights last spring.   

Never have used either one in Schuetzen type loads.    
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2013 at 12:09am by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2013 at 2:30am
Print Post  
It's Smilley lube that is no longer available. Our own Jerry_H bought the rights to make it and it's now Javelina Schuetzen and is still available from him.

Back in the '80's and '90's I tried to find a sourse of Tamarac lube but, couldn't, at least in smaller lots. As I remember it was used as a lube to slide ships out of dry dock.

I don't know if it would work at lower velocity but, it might be worth a try.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

RayH
Oldtimer

ASSRA # 10880

Reply #3 - Oct 4th, 2013 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Sorry  ..............   gotta ask  ...............  Is a ship sliding out of dry dock achieving greater velocity than a speeding bullet? Might be scary!
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2013 at 5:49pm by RayH »  

In GOD We Trust

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2013 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
The Idea behind it's formulation is, to have a thick grease that stays in place and works under extremely heavy loads. It was popular in the 80's and '90's for CBA but, I guess it went out of favor. I never got to work with it so, I can't say if it works better than anything around now. 

I don't think I would have used it very long as, being a high temp. lube, I don't think you could pan lube with it very well.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 5th, 2013 at 12:59am
Print Post  
Frank I believe the CBA guys were using the product made by Texaco and sold by NECO or NEI it was the grease used to lube railroad wheel bearings / hot box lube and I believe the name was Tauark. Several in our group used it in their Heavy Class guns.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 5th, 2013 at 1:15am
Print Post  
Frank it did not go out of favor, when the railroad quit using the product the surplus was bought and repackaged as bullet lube by either NECO or NEI and when they ran out that was the end of it as there was no more to be had any where. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Oct 5th, 2013 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
John,
I think your right about Texaco Tamrak. I did a search and couldn't find anything. I did find the launch coat that was originally made by ESSO as Launch Coat and now called LUBRIPLATE Neptune Launching Base Coat. I'm not sure how I confused them but, that was 25 years ago. I still think the launch coat might be a good bullet lube as it has a melting point of 150 deg. The draw back is you have to buy 50 lb min.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Warkshop

Reply #8 - Oct 5th, 2013 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
So called hot box lubricant for train wheel bearings was manufactured by various companies - under discussion is the Texico product I believe - ran out of it some time ago.  Still have the Esso equivalant that is labeled Galena on the box and another manufacturers labeled Koolex salvaged by railroader friends.  Came in two bars per package and works very well.  The material softens under pressure in a lubri-sizer and it is water soluble.  Doesn't liquify with heat - but smokes rather badly so will not work for pan lubing.

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Oct 5th, 2013 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Tamarac may have been someone's product name but Texaco sold it as Taurak. Google it and you'll get a hit. Manufacture was discontinued quite a few years ago. NECO was the last place I knew that sold it but according to them, there is no more to be had.
The stuff worked great as a lube wad for paper patched bullets and black powder. I have yet to find anything else that is even close to it's equal. Using a Taurak lube wad, I could get off 10-12 shots without cleaning in my old 45-2 7/8" Sharps. Being water soluble, a couple damp patches, followed by a dry and the bore was good-to-go for another 10-12 shots.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint