Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) BIG Block of Lead (Read 11326 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

BIG Block of Lead
Sep 30th, 2013 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Scrapping a sailboat nearby. Keel is lead real soft lead.  It's supposed to weigh 5000 lbs.

Wonder how you would cut it up into plumbers lead furnace size.  Blocks in the past I have heated up a corner until it drips off. This one is too big a heat sink for that to work. Can't see how you could get a full saw-z all blade in it either.

Any ideas

Boats

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: BIG Block of Lead
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
What is it's maximum thickness?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Boats,

Two things I think would work, in combo with each other.  Sawzall will do a great job if you use a coarse blade so it doesn't load up.  If you can't get to an edge to cut off a piece, make two parallel cuts as well as you can, pointing at each other to make a V shaped piece.  Then, use a spoon bit on an electric jackhammer to mine out the V, and repeat as many times as it takes.  Lot of work!

dave

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Carbon arc rod in a stinger. No air.  Never tried it myself but have been told it works. Rent an air compressor and jack hammer with spade bit. Use ear plugs.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
I have of some using a chain saw, they say it cuts like butter. I would be very Leary on the first cut as I have not had the need to try it myself. I had a 1000lbs. of 1/4 inch sheet lead and the sawsall made quick work of it, I fear anything much larger would be a real chore.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Boats, if that block of lead was in my backyard, here's what I would do:
* Jack up a side of the block with a hydraulic jack
* Cut long section spaces to preclude the heat sink issue with the sawzall starting on the bottom  
* Buy aluminum gutter pieces (the widest you can purchase) the length of the block
* Buy this torch and many propane tanks, you'll need them  Grin ...  might want to ask a gas dealer to rent one of the big propane tanks
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
The 3000 degree torch does an quick excellent job melting scrap lead I get at the scrap yards
* Melt the cut sections into the gutters
* Then sawzall the smaller blocks from the gutter and start stacking them up  
Hmmm - 5000 lbs is approximately 175,000 bullets weighing 200 grs!  Happy casting or selling!

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #6 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
I cut up a 3 ton block of lead using a Skill saw with a coarse blade. Wear a face mask since it threw pellets of lead all over.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
An old time shooter friend used to tell a story of asking a friend who had a large chunk if he would sell some. The guy picked up his chainsaw, turned his head sideways and began to sling little lead particles all over the place. I guess it worked quite well except for all the blood. 

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
and call in a false alarm to send the EPA guys to the far end of the next county

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
QuestionableMaynard8130 wrote on Sep 30th, 2013 at 4:36pm:
and call in a false alarm to send the EPA guys to the far end of the next county

AND be on the look out for those pecky lead eatting California Condors. I think they would get there before you get 1/4 the way done. They can smell that hot lead for 3000 mi's you know.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Only once in my shooting career have I ever purchased a large ingot of lead which was bought from a local Lead Smelter. The smallest ingots they supplied were 400 lbs. weight. I friend of mine chipped in half the price. The company used a fork lift to put the ingot into the back of his pickup. When we got it to his place the only ways we could cut it up was either by Hammer and Chisel, Hacksaw or Oxyacetylene torch. The latter won and it didn't take long either, so we cut it again and again so we could get the cut lead into our melting pots. I never bought another ingot of lead for obvious reasons.

Harry

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #11 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
I like the chainsaw idea. I don't like the carbon arc idea; I don't think you'd survive that for very long. Jackhammer would work if you have a big young guy to run it.
  Thanks boats, this the most interesting topic we've had in a while. Smiley

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #12 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Chainsaw would make one heck of a mess. Air tight Tyvex suit and supplied air?  Suit up suit down area?   

Carbon arc rod. No air. No mess. Have not tried it. Lead fumes?  Jack hammer is an old mans tool. Pick and shovel is young guys tools.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #13 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
boats, Louis is remembering my experience with large chunks of Lead. I got advice here from a Boat yard  guy on use of a chain saw. Worked the beans! It takes two guys, one on the saw and one to one side with a squirter with kerosene squirting the Kero on the bar/chain. The Saw guy needs to stand off to one side as the Lead chips coming off the Saw are like .38 Special slugs and hurt! Also position a plastic tarp to catch the chips as there will be lots. The chain should be freshly filed, it does no noticable damage to the chain. And it does go like butter. I brought home 7,300 Lbs from Virginia and could have had more if I wanted it. So far have only used 600 lbs in 25/1 lead tin Alloy. Hope to live long enough to use up all the rest. HTH Regards, FITZ. Smiley P.S. The chips come off the bottom just like wood chips But with more energy, they tend to hit right about mid chin bone. Does not take long to wise up and get out of the way. FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Water jets are used to slice through steel. Might work for lead.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint