Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) BIG Block of Lead (Read 11351 times)
digitall423
Oldtimer

Re: BIG Block of Lead
Reply #30 - Oct 2nd, 2013 at 7:19am
Print Post  
Heck of a problem you got there Boats.
Bill

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Oct 2nd, 2013 at 7:25am
Print Post  
Am guessing you could ask Milwaukee or Skil or one of the other saw mfgrs which blade they would recommend for cutting lead and get an answer. They generally have a tech question line.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

38-72

Reply #32 - Oct 4th, 2013 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
I bought a 3200# lead counter weight at the local scrap yard a few years ago.  I condition the buy on the scrap yard cutting into chunks that a man could pickup.  They used a shear on the end of backhoe boom to cut it up.  It didn't take long at all.  I then use a home made crane to lift each piece (via a lag screw eyebolt twisted into each chunk) into my melting pot.  Melted one end then the other etc.   It took some time but it went well otherwise.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Thanks for all the tips, now I know all about cutting up big blocks. Deal fell through though. Turned out to be 80 cents a pound as is were is.  Not a good bet

Boats

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 9:23am
Print Post  
   Bill --

Sounds like a job that would be best accomplished by a professional processor, as opposed to a back yard trial and error. 

If you make the right contact, a roll back truck could possible cable it up on the bed and transport the block to a certified (EPA) processor for re-melting into ingot sizes with none of the risks to yourself that folks have touched on above.

If you want to talk about selling shares of the resulting melt down phase, I would be interested in such a purchase, F.O.B. Va. Beach.  My friend has a 3 inch ordinance rifle that shoots lead conicals in competition and he is always interest in buying large quantities at a time.  I can get further detains from and to you via an E-mail as to the alloy content, etc., etc.

Thanks much'

Webb

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 1:04pm
Print Post  

Bill --
          Sorry that opportunity didn't come to pass.  At first blush it looked promising.   Smiley

C.M.M.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
As is one thing. Were is is Virginia's Northern Neck, 90 miles by road. 5000 lbs is over capacity of anything I own. Would have to rent.  Not close to anybody who buys lead either.  My eye is on it though, he may come down on the price 

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint