Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Range/Bullet Drop (Read 2965 times)
Elijah
Ex Member

Range/Bullet Drop
Sep 29th, 2013 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
I need some advice on elevation. I haven't shot at 200 yards yet but am going to be doing that this Tuesday or Wednesday. I have a 40-70SS with 30" barrel and the loads I have zeroed at 100 yards are 62 gr of Swiss 1.5 and a 410 gr Lyman/Snover bullet. If I raise the tang sight(Soule Mid Range) for said bullet to hit about a foot higher would I get on paper at 200 yards?

IP Logged

MikeT
Senior Forum Member

Re: Range/Bullet Drop
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2013 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Just raise the tang sight about 12 minutes and you should be on paper.  Adjust from there.
Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT

IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2013 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
That's about what I thought...thanks.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2013 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
I have little experience with the USA vernier tang sights.  My eyes have always been too bad to use anything but scopes at anything beyond about 50 yards.
  However I have two rifles that have them a set of C sharps front and rear on my Miroku Highwall sported and a custom mid-range on a #2 roller in 22 rf.     Both have vernier scales on the staff. 

Are most mfg's scales in MOA, decimals of inches. or just a semi-arbitrary uniform scale of some sort that you have to figure out the MOA change each increment represents?

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2013 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
The two C.Sharps Venier tang sights I have are In Minutes of angle, but, Not the way I'm used to using one! So, I just use those at 200 yds for groups...and when I shoot competition, I use My Hoke LR....Tang and it is adjusted simply in Min. of Angle...I don't know how to explain it...Maybe you can get a copy of the C.Sharps Instructions for their sights......I've got one here but don't know if it could be posted??..

Terry....

P.S. In the Original post, I do agree with the 12 MOA increase for 100 to 200 yards, but, with my .45-70's it seems to be about 13... Smiley

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 29th, 2013 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
I think that some of the older CSA sights had weird graduations on the staff.  Nowadays they are graduated like the MVA sights, i.e. in 0.01".  That'll be pretty close to 1 moa for a 30" barrel.   

Chris.

IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Sep 29th, 2013 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
Gunlaker, Your probably right, the C.Sharps sights I have are over 20 years old...
haven't seen a new one!
Terry

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 9:08am
Print Post  
I found around a tenth of an inch per 100 yds gets close.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 10:19am
Print Post  
shovel80 wrote on Sep 29th, 2013 at 11:02pm:
Gunlaker, Your probably right, the C.Sharps sights I have are over 20 years old...
haven't seen a new one!
Terry

And I haven't seen an old one except in pictures on web forums Smiley.

To me the most important thing is that, for soule sights, they all do windage with the same rotation direction.  The MVA and CSA sights are both the same in that respect at least.

Chris.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Elijah,
What brass did you end up using? Your stretched BA Krag? How deep do you have your bullet seated?  I am using 6-7 more grains of Swiss in my BA cases than you are right now along with a .030 wad. After you've shot your cases 2-3 times and expand them to your chamber, check to see if you don't need more powder to keep you column the same heighth.  Bob

IP Logged

Elijah
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 11:20am
Print Post  
I ran across this article from MVA and it explains the staff markings about as good as it gets. I knew the .o1" graduations were one inch. I just wasn't sure about the settings for the different distances but was just speculating. Seems I was pretty close.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Old-Win, I ended up using the Krag brass as it's actually the ones for the Shiloh...according to BACO as they have several for that caliber but the .068" rims work best in the Shiloh chambering. The brass for the C. Sharps, Meacham and others will work but the headspace is different.

Bullet seating depth is dependent on which bullet I use.With the lyman #410660 (385 gr) I have to seat to the middle of the drive band with 60 gr of Swiss 1.5 and a .060 Walters wad. The Lyman/Snover bullet has to be seated also close to the middle of the drive band with a similar load. However, the Saeco 740 bullet can be seated out further about half fway between the top drive band and first grease groove at an OAL of 3.210". A custom mould I got from Accurate Moulds will allow the bullet to be seated out even further as the top band is tapered. That one can be seated to the top of the second band exposing the first grease groove for a total OAL 3.310"

Quote:
After you've shot your cases 2-3 times and expand them to your chamber, check to see if you don't need more powder to keep you column the same height.

I've already found that out. I was surprised after even the first fire forming that in order to get the bullet seated as I did with the first firing load of 60 gr I had to go to 62 gr of the same powder, bullet and wad to get the same seating depth.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint