Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Maynard .64 shot loading (Read 5462 times)
WillH

Maynard .64 shot loading
Jul 5th, 2013 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
What to use for brass in a percussion .64 ? The old paper .20 gauge shells fit the chamber like a glove; the newer plastic shells stop at the brass. Do I need to fabricate the entire case or can the .20 all brass cases be adopted; fill the primer hole and drill a flash hole?????? Thanks so much.

Will

AIM  
IP Logged

xtimberman

Re: Maynard .64 shot loading
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
I believe that Rocky Mountain Cartridge Co. still makes cases for percussion-type Maynard shotguns. You may have to provide a chamber casting so they will have the dimensions for a perfect fit. Some years ago, they made me up 10 cases for a M-1873 .64 cal. shot barrel.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

WillH

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the information; I took a look at their website and found only the 1882 .64 shot listed. I sent an inquiry about the percussion .64. The '82s were $6. a pop so may need to do my own. I can't see why the brass .20 gauge cases  couldn't be adopted to work and seems like they are around a buck each. Maybe someone has experience to share.  Thanks so much.

Will

xtimberman wrote on Jul 5th, 2013 at 6:01pm:
I believe that Rocky Mountain Cartridge Co. still makes cases for percussion-type Maynard shotguns. You may have to provide a chamber casting so they will have the dimensions for a perfect fit. Some years ago, they made me up 10 cases for a M-1873 .64 cal. shot barrel.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

AIM  
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Will,

Go to the For Sale/Trade section, click on "Maynard 1873 cartridge conversion rings", and read reply #3 and reply #9 both by Green Frog.

You might send him a PM.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

WillH

Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Thanks for bringing those posts to my attention. I had read over them more than once and didn't pick up on what was said. It is the Magtec brass that I was looking at. I'll PM Green Frog and pick his brain.   

Will

BP wrote on Jul 5th, 2013 at 6:50pm:
Will,

Go to the For Sale/Trade section, click on "Maynard 1873 cartridge conversion rings", and read reply #3 and reply #9 both by Green Frog.

You might send him a PM.

AIM  
IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 9:39am
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jul 5th, 2013 at 6:50pm:
Will,

You might send him a PM.

BP,
Just for clarification on this thread...M-1873 Maynards were not, technically, "percussion" cartridges. Those cases required the wide, thick rim and a primer seated in the case. The Maynard percussion shotguns and rifles required cases with the thin rim - slightly thinner than 1882-type cartridges - and were drilled with a tiny hole for ignition from an external percussion cap.

I only mentioned RMCCo making some M-1873-type cases for me to illustrate that they make many more items than what you see on their "Short List". They even state so on their website.

Will,
I wonder about consistent and reliable ignition with a long or deep flash hole in the base of a modified case....? It would probably work, but I wish I knew more about percussion Maynards. 

IP Logged

WillH

Reply #6 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Thanks to all for the information; I will probably modify a couple of the regular .20 gauge brass cases to see how it works. I don't think the deep hole will be a problem; I can drill a cone relief from the inside to help that. May need to polish the case to make it fit the chamber and trim to length. Rim is small so extraction will not be as handy as with the proper case . The 1882 .64 case is listed at $6. and the .20 gauge all brass is $1. Heck of a difference to a poor boy. 

Will

AIM  
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
xtimberman wrote Quote:
BP,
Just for clarification on this thread...M-1873 Maynards were not, technically, "percussion" cartridges. Those cases required the wide, thick rim and a primer seated in the case. The Maynard percussion shotguns and rifles required cases with the thin rim - slightly thinner than 1882-type cartridges - and were drilled with a tiny hole for ignition from an external percussion cap.

I only mentioned RMCCo making some M-1873-type cases for me to illustrate that they make many more items than what you see on their "Short List". They even state so on their website.

No clarification needed.
Will's initial post sounded like he was searching for options to try to see what might work. 
Don't know what equipment Will has available, but for those of us who have a lathe etc, we can experiment with some easy minor modifications to existing low cost products to see if the idea will work out instead of spending a large chunk of change to find out it won't or is too much trouble.
And some of us love to experiment just because we can.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

WillH

Reply #8 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
BP; you're exactly right. I do like saving dollars when I can and I like experimenting and I like doing it myself. Sometimes it ends up costing more to do it my way. I've had people ask me why I want to make something myself when I could buy it already made; I don't know what to tell them; I just like the feeling I get when I have made something or modified something and it works. It's still enjoyable even if it didn't turn out quiet right. It's all part of the enjoyment I get from the sport of old guns and shooting.

Will

BP wrote on Jul 6th, 2013 at 4:03pm:
xtimberman wrote Quote:
BP,

No clarification needed.
Will's initial post sounded like he was searching for options to try to see what might work. 
Don't know what equipment Will has available, but for those of us who have a lathe etc, we can experiment with some easy minor modifications to existing low cost products to see if the idea will work out instead of spending a large chunk of change to find out it won't or is too much trouble.
And some of us love to experiment just because we can.

AIM  
IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 25th, 2013 at 8:38am
Print Post  

So, Will - H that was in July and i am curious now as to how everything worked out or didn't work out.
If you are able to give an update telling about what worked best for you, that may save "having to re-invent" the wheel.

I have the identical situation as you mentioned, i.e., a Maynard 1965 Second Model percussion breech piece with a .64 caliber shot barrel that I plan to take to the hunt field this year with black powder loading.

Thanks in advance for your guidance on getting me shooting.

C.M.M.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #10 - Sep 29th, 2013 at 1:47am
Print Post  
I have precisely one (1) original brass shell for a percussion 64 caliber Maynard.  It looks pretty much like the Mag Tech™ version but is smooth and unmarked on its base and of course just has a tiny flash hole instead of a primer pocket.  Be aware also that the 64 caliber and the 20 gauge chambers of Maynards are slightly different from each other and that the chamber length of both generally runs about 2 1/2" instead of 2 3/4 " so modern cases will bottom out.

Froggie

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Sep 29th, 2013 at 5:18am
Print Post  
Quote:
  Be aware also that the 64 caliber and the 20 gauge chambers of Maynards are slightly different from each other and that the chamber length of both generally runs about 2 1/2" instead of 2 3/4 " so modern cases will bottom out.
Froggie

Froggie --  Have you ever tried using a modern made high brass, plastic hull that has been fired and then trimmed back in length using an Exacto knife?  The spent primed would then, either be removed entirely, or the spent primer left in the pocket, but drilled through with a small diameter drill bit?

In theory, that just may work satisfactorily, but for authenticity, its out the window.  When I'm out in the field by myself looking for multiple rabbit specimens, authenticity may be relegated to a position of subordinated importance; and a good rabbit stew (carrots, potatoes, and onions) in the cast iron covered 12 Quart being of utmost importance. 

C.M.M.

IP Logged

WillH

Reply #12 - Sep 29th, 2013 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Nothing to report as yet; too many projects; not enough time.

Will

AIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint