Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) .32RF (Read 5232 times)
broken_arrow

.32RF
Sep 24th, 2013 at 9:23am
Print Post  
Hi all,
I recently bought a Remington #4 in .32RF.
It is in nice shape and I would hate to convert it to .22.
Has anyone used the .32RF conversion cases that Dixie sells?
I can turn my own cases but would like to know if it's worth the effort.
Opinions encouraged...
Thanks,
Dave

ASSRA #10186 (10-25-2021)
Every Mighty Oak Was Once A Little Nut That Held Its Ground

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: .32RF
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2013 at 9:41am
Print Post  
broken_arrow wrote on Sep 24th, 2013 at 9:23am:
I would hate to convert it to .22.Dave

Converting it to .32 Long CF seems a less extreme option, & changing the firing pin strike less work than sleeving the barrel.

This is what for many years I've thought of doing with my own #4 in .32RF, but have always had too many irons in the fire to undertake.

IP Logged

bisaacson

Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2013 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Gee, is any of this stuff worth the effort? Well, yeah, it's fun! So, see the October  2010 issue of the Single Shot Exchange for varieties of 32 RF and CF case modification and shooting. Pretty easy, actually, and you can custom fit the cases to your chamber, plus there are sources for heeled bullet moulds or ways to heel bullets to fit.

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2013 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
a couple more ideas, because I sort of accidently got a .32 rf myself. The first idea is in case the 2nd doesn't shoot well. 
1. I think it would take very little turning or polishing the OD of a 5/16" diameter liner to get it to slip into a .32 bore. You could then glass or loctite it in place as is often done by folks who re-line drilled out .22 barrels. The extractor would need rework or replaced but the firing pin location may not. The reason I suggest this is the originality has not been permanently defaced if down the road some one wanted to return it to it's original configuration. Note that I have not tried this so it just another wild idea I came up with.
2. What I actually did is similar to the method suggested by bisaacson but varying in that I press fit the 22 blank and thin the rim so with correct headspace I have about .020" protrusion of the blank beyond the rim. That way I don't have to orient any thing with the firing pin. This does require that the firing pin hit a 22 rim centrally located which mine does (Rem model 1-1/2), don't know if other models or manufacturers will do that. I load with CCI blanks and 3F Goex and a Lyman 299153 bullet that a guy on Gunbroker sells. I have it shooting 1-1/8" 5 shot groups at 25 yards which is not benchrest good but plenty good for plinking/FUN.  My bore is so bad the only positive thing I can say is the hole goes all the way through, but yet it still shoots. 
Most folks will certify you are a real "crank" if you are shooting a .32 rf, well maybe the term they use is "certifiable"
kootne

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

broken_arrow

Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2013 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Thanks guys,
Yes, I know it's worth it because of the "fun" factor.
I don't want to change anything with this rifle, I want to be able to fire it as it was made to be.
I had not remembered that magazine issue so now I have to go through my back issues and find that article.
Thanks again,
Dave

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2013 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Don't raise your expectations too high--when I shot my #4 (mint bore & tang sight) with that lousy Canuck ammo, I found that any target much smaller than a wash tub at 50 yds was safe from injury.  Those big, slow, slugs do make a most pleasing crash when they hit anything.

IP Logged

broken_arrow

Reply #6 - Sep 25th, 2013 at 10:46am
Print Post  
How about another direction...
What is everyone's thoughts on muzzleloading or breachloading the bullet and then inserting the primed/powder case?
Just thinking,
Dave

IP Logged

Kermit1945
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Sep 25th, 2013 at 10:47am
Print Post  
You can keep your "originalness" by locating a spare breechblock to convert to CF so you can change it back to sell as manufactured. Use .32 Long Colt brass. Heeled bullet molds are available from Accurate. Fun. 

BS-ing anyone? Short range BPCR? I often see .32 RF rifles in good shape going reasonably priced, cuz I think most folks think it's an expensive relining that's needed to go shooting.

"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Sep 25th, 2013 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Kermit1945 wrote on Sep 25th, 2013 at 10:47am:
You can keep your "originalness" by locating a spare breechblock to convert to CF so you can change it back to sell as manufactured.

Good idea...if you can find one.  Please pick up one for me too.

Unless the gun in question is very nearly mint (mine comes close), I wouldn't be surprised if one in average condition actually brought MORE with a clean CF conversion.  At any rate, I'd pay more were I in the market for one.  (Two #4s is quite enough for me, though I always wanted a Boy Scout model.)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Sep 25th, 2013 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Since I own several single shot and repeating rifles in .32 RF, I've tried everything to see what works best.
First off my results with the Cannuck .32 RF ammo was much different than Redwing's. My Marlin 1891 and 1892 have beautiful bores and at 50 yards they shot groups of just over .5" My Ballard #2 in .32Long also shoots Cannuck very well, but with not as good a bore, the 50 yd. groups were closer to 1".
I also have the adapter cases to use .22 blanks to fire in a .32 RF chamber, and although they shoot pretty well, they don't match the fixed ammo groups from Cannuck. Another issue they have is the blanks sticking in the adapter cases after firing. The ends open up, and even with a good fitting punch, it's a PITA to get the empty cases out for reloading. I gave up on these, as it takes the fun out of shooting when reloading is a hassle.
Fortunately all of my guns have dual firing pins (repeaters) or reversible firing pins (Ballards) so I shoot them with .32 CF more than RF.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Sep 25th, 2013 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy, I had the same issue with the blanks swelling if I used smokeless, in fact just firing the blank only would swell it  but when I used 3f black and tapped it to settle the powder then the blanks did not open as far and could be easily knocked out with a punch. I can only guess it works that way because the black stuff is 100% loading density and probably also a denser product. Maybe we need to start a "any vintage rimfire but .22lr postal match".
kootne

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

broken_arrow

Reply #11 - Sep 26th, 2013 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Well, I ordered one of the Dixie cases just for the fun of it. I'll see how that works.
Does anyone know where I can find the specs for 32rf short, 32rf long, and 32rf extra long cases?
I have tried every search that I can think of and come up empty every time.
Thanks for the replies,
Dave

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Sep 26th, 2013 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
From COTW:

Bullet dia:                0.316"
Neck and Base dia:    0.317" to 0.318"
Rim dia:                   0.377" to 0.378"
Case length:  32 RF Short   0.575"
                    32 RF Long   0.791"
            32 RF Extra Long   1.150"

Rim thickness is not shown, so measure your rifle for proper headspace.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

bisaacson

Reply #13 - Sep 26th, 2013 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Those are the specs., but often you'll find that chambers are worn, throats are a little long, and besides, manufacturers had their own ideas about what worked best. I've seen bores from .3065" to .315, and chamber diameters and lengths that varied, too, so I just work with what's there and fit the cases and bullets as necessary. If you have more than one, keeping track of things is kind of a PITA, but using fitted ammo usually works out pretty well for both accuracy and case longevity. You won't be bored...

IP Logged

broken_arrow

Reply #14 - Sep 27th, 2013 at 8:53am
Print Post  
BP,
Thanks for the info. I looked everywhere and could not find that.
And... thanks to everyone that replied.
I have some bullets and cases coming and hope to have this old girl singing again soon.
Thanks,
Dave

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint