Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Loading data for .25-20 SS? (Read 12775 times)
Sendaro
Oldtimer

When the sight is on SEND
IT!

Re: Loading data for .25-20 SS?
Reply #15 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Pete,

What is the number of that Lyman mold you mention?

My Stevens 44 in 25-20SS has a 1 in 13" twist rate. I use a tang sight and a globe front with post. 

Tried a squib load today just to see if it may show some potential. Loaded the 85 grain RCBS plain base bullet as fixed ammo over a Federal 205M primer and a powder charge of 2.5 grains of Bulls Eye. I know that the velocity was down but the load shot pretty good. First 4 shots at 30 yards to see if it was going to be on paper grouped 7/16". Went to 50 yards and the first 4 shots grouped 5/8". At 100 yards the group started to open some and 5 shots went in a group that is 1 5/8". However some of the verticle in that 100 yard group was me. Three of the shots cut each other in a horizontal cluster of about 5/8". I plan to up the powder charge and try again.May go to 2.7 and then to 3.0 grains. 
    The are some signs of bullet tipping in the prints at 100 yards. However this is nothing like the very poor grouping I had before with 7 and 7.5 grains of IMR4227. I plan to try those powder charges again but with a Federal 205 primer rather than the Remington #6 1/2 I used before. Maybe I just had some bad primers!

I'd like to try a lighter bullet like the one that you make mention of. Have an old Ideal ajustable mold that I may try casting some at around 65 grains with. It should be worth a try just to see what they will do. 
                                         Sendaro

IP Logged

Sendaro
Oldtimer

IT!

Reply #16 - Oct 19th, 2013 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Test firing with my Stevens 44 in 25-20SS has continued over the past week. The bullet that I'm using is the RCBS 25-85-CB. Why, because that is the mold that I have. I know that the design of this RCBS bullet was for the 25-20 Winchester and tube magazinerifles, but this is what I have to work with at present. 
   Early in my testing I used IMR4227 as suggested by nearly all who use 25-20SS. I used Remington #6 1/2 primers and had very little luck getting anything to look like was group from the same gun. They were all over the palce. I since switched to Federal 205M primers and tested again with IMR4227 at charges of 7.0, 7.5, and 8.0 grains. It shot some nice little groups at 50 yards with the 7.5 and 8.0 grain charges. However, at 100 yards the bullet were leaving holes in the target that show a tip or yaw. Also the recorded chronograph speeds for all three loads were very eratic! There were shot to shot changes as much as 200 fps. Moved the chronograph out to 20 feet adn tested again to see if the shock wave of the muzzle blast may have cause the wide spread in the velocities recorded and that prove not to be the problem at all. I'm very inclined to look for another design in a bullet mold that will work in my rifle with it's 1 in13" twist rate.
   Any one else had the same experince with IMR4227 and the wide spread in velocite andnburned powder in the barrel? There is a noteable amount of unburned crumbs in the bore with IMR4227.

Sendaro

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #17 - Oct 21st, 2013 at 10:52am
Print Post  
I had large velocity speads with H4227 in load range you were using with the 87gr RCBS bullet cast from 20:1 alloy in my 1:13 twist Stevens 44 1/2 25-20SS rifle, changed to 7gr of 2400 and used Win small rifle primers in Jamison brass, velocity about 1500fps, only fired at 50yds as it was a load I worked up for squirrel hunting when I lived in PA. It did shoot cleaner than H4227 and with my scoped rifle it gave 1/2" to 3/4" 5 shot groups at 50yds.

Always tried to find a Lyman/Ideal 257231 mould in 106gr version (no luck), seemed to me it should shoot very well in the 1:13 twist barrel.

Fred Leeth at Pioneer Products (937-839-4362) cuts a 103gr mould #25804103 that I'd like to try, probably order one this winter for next years testing.
Mike

"Any one else had the same experince with IMR4227 and the wide spread in velocite andnburned powder in the barrel? There is a noteable amount of unburned crumbs in the bore with IMR4227."
                                        Senda

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Oct 21st, 2013 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
I settled on the 7.5 grains of 2400 with the Lyman 257420 GC bullet. (The heavier plain base bullet leaded, this one doesn't.) I took it to the 100 meter silhouette match and after some hurried shooting to try to get beginning sight settings managed to take single shot match winner. Really enjoyed shooting it.

IP Logged

ACGould

Reply #19 - Oct 21st, 2013 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Hi,
I shoot 25-20 Stevens, 25-21, 25-25 and 25-35.  Breech seat in all of them and all provide the very best results with breech-seated bullets of the correct length for the twist using  rifle primers and H108/AA9.  Pistol primers work OK also but usually require a small load adjustment.  However, I do used fixed ammo with the RCBS 85 gr plain base bullet and H108/AA9 in my 25-21 Model 45 on the #44 action.  Excellent results.  I had the same experience with fixed ammo in a 25-21 factory original Hepburn using the same powder and bullet combination.  About the only thing that I have found useful for 4227 is full house jacketed bullet loads in my 22 Hornet and my Ruger Blackhawk in 30 M1 Carbine (again, close to max loads with jacketed bullets).  I gave up on 2400 years ago!
Leon

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Oct 21st, 2013 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Leon, I happen to have a large supply of H108. Could you suggest a starting load for a fixed 85 grain?

IP Logged

Sendaro
Oldtimer

IT!

Reply #21 - Oct 21st, 2013 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Pete,

Did some testing at our shooting house today with the RCBS 25-85 CB bullet and Bulls Eye again. Have stayed with the Federal 205M primer and all loads as fixed. At a charge weight of 3.9 grains of BE and and OAL of 1.875 it seemed to come together. Velocity was running an avg. of 1347 and the ES was 19 fps. Five shot 50 yard group was just under 3/4" with very little to indacate a yaw. At 100 yards the vertical in the group was under 5/8" but there was some left and right. I plan to test this load again as there was little in the way of a tail on the impact prints at 100 yards and it was grouping. All the other loads that I tried gave signs of a heavy yaw. 
  I would also like to add there was little to no fouling. The bore cleaned very easy. I always inspect the bore after a test firing for fouling with a Hawkeye bore scope before I clean. 
The RCBS 25-85 CB bullet is no schuetzen bullet but it does make an OK plinker. thanks for getting back to me.

Sendaro

IP Logged

Sendaro
Oldtimer

IT!

Reply #22 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 7:32am
Print Post  
For those of you that may have interest in the 25-20SS loading. I have cast some bullets from an old Ideal bullet mold that is ajustable for bullet length, and test fired them. The first batch was cast to produce a bullet that has three grease grooves, and weighed 66.8 grains when case at 1 to 25 ratio. When testfired with IMR4227 and a Federal 205M primer there was a very wide spread in velocity, and much burned crumbs left in the rifle's bore. Powder charges of 6.8 - 8.0 grains were tested with the Federal Primer, and It was the same with all . Testing with Remington #6 1/2 primers proved even worse and use of Remington sm pistol primers were was abandon after about 15% blew through with the 7.5 grain charge. Accuracy was poor at around 4" at 100 yards, but the holes left in the target were round and showed no signs of a yaw or tipping. Next it was on to testing with AA #9 powder and the Federal 205M primer and the Ideal bullet at 66.8 grains. This powder was buring very clean and accuracy was improving but there would be about 12% of the test rounds that were fliers out of the groups 3" or so at 100 yards,but fewer powder crumbs in the bore. All cast bullets used were inspected by eye and weighed to assure quality. With the hint of the test loads nearing a reasonable amount of accuracy it appeared to me that I was heading in the right direction. Powder charges from 6.5-8.0 grains were tested and at 7.0 to 7.2 grains there seemed to be a sweet spot. However the velocities recorded were again wide spread. This suggested to me that the weight of the bullet being increased may help the powder burn more uniform. So the Ideal bullet mold was adjust to increase the weight of the bullet. As cast now it has 4 grease grooves and weighs 77.5 grains. When test fired it was very apparent that the powder was burning more throughly and accuracy improved. The bullet bullets were hitting the paper without any signs of a yaw. To be continued as the testresults come in. Sendaro

IP Logged

Sendaro
Oldtimer

IT!

Reply #23 - Nov 10th, 2013 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Anyone ever try Accurate #7 powder in the 25-20SS? It is slower than Unique and yet faster than 2400. Would like to hear your thoughts. I'm thinking about trying 5 grains and working up in 1/2 grain jumps to velocity hits around 1500 fps with a 77.8 grain Ideal 25720 bullet. The groups and chronograph should tell the story.

Sendaro

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Nov 10th, 2013 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Sounds like an interesting powder choice. Keep us posted.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint