Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Cabine Tree locking mold handles (Read 3333 times)
boho

Cabine Tree locking mold handles
Nov 9th, 2013 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
I would guess that much has been said about these. I tried to do a search and came up blank. I think I am doing it wrong. But anyway here goes. I am thinking about getting these. I have a long winter of casting ahead as we all do and wonder if these will make it any easier. I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks   

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Cabine Tree locking mold handles
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2013 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
I have a set and they work well.  I don't know that they give any big advantage over regular handles, but they will keep your hand from getting stiff after a long casting session. 

Chris.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2013 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
easier than trying to hold them tight together manually.  but it does slow things down some and it does take a while to get them adjusted properly.

I have several and I have them.  Once adjusted properly and "broken in" they are a little slower but produce a better percentage of  "good" bullets than I do by trying to control block "lock-up" by hand pressure alone.  while I have not really done a statistical study,  I seem to have installed them on my larger bore multi cavity Molds

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2013 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
I have a set, and they are very good, well made, and work as advertised.  Whether they are useful to you is a matter of your circumstances.

The things I don't like about them are they are heavy and slower to use.  I have a damaged left hand that doesn't operate them very well.  It is easier on my hand to use a regular mold.

However, they have three main advantages:  One, they are great for someone with limited strength in their hand/arm, as they can be filled and then set down.  Second, they hold the mold halves together better so you don't get slightly oversize bullets that weigh more.   Third, they can be used in tandem with a second mold/handle set, you fill one, set it down, fill the other, set it down, pick up the first, dump the bullet out, refill, set down, repeat.  I've heard some shooters that do this say it increases their speed overall.

If you have any problems getting oversize bullets or with fatigue in your arm casting, then I would highly recommend them.  They are the best solution out there for those problems.  If you can cast perfect bullets now without getting tired, they're a solution in search of a problem.   

dave

IP Logged

38-72

Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2013 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
I have 3 of them for a few years now.  They work great.  Like anything, it takes a while to learn to use them.  But now, I make just as many quality bullets as I did with the old style handles.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #5 - Nov 10th, 2013 at 8:31am
Print Post  
I also have three sets and I love them they give absolutely the same pressure when closed each time. Also if you get a tiny blob of lead on the mold face you can feel it when you close the mold the next time. The one drawback is they take some getting used to. There is only one handle and its round so you really have to grip up when you turn it over to fill. You can make it easier on your self if you take off the round wooden handle and replace it with a cut-down hammer handle the oblong of the hammer handle makes it easier to hold.

40 Rod

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Nov 10th, 2013 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
I have heard the claim they make more consistent bullets by clamping the blocks closed as they work like a pair of vise grips. I don't care for them as they are both heavy and clumsy. When the blocks are closed by hand they can not be any more closed with the Cabine Tree handles. I see a lot of casters squeezing their handles with allot of hand force when all they need is very light hand pressure. Hold a set of moulds up to a light when closing them and when you can't see anymore light they are closed and make note of hard you are not squeezing them and that is all the pressure needed as you can't no matter how hard you squeeze close them any further! Using that minimal amount of closing pressure while casting eliminates all fatigue and makes your casting sessions more relaxing and pleasant and your bullets are no worse for it. Closed is closed so don't try wasting any unnessecarry energy to try to close them more nor do you need to spend any extra money on fancy handles to accomplish a very simple task just try being more relaxed while accomplishing it and the results will be very rewarding. 

JLouis

« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2013 at 12:51pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint