Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Heating a Hoch (Read 2790 times)
Elijah
Ex Member

Heating a Hoch
Aug 17th, 2013 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
I posted this on another forum for others to see. I guess I didn't have anything better to do tonight so took pics of my new Hoch mould. I found it difficult to heat it on a hot plate due to the top and bottom "obstructions" but managed to heat it enough to produce about 200 bullets today. This is the side of it and you can see how it won't fit on top a hot plate very well.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

It makes a good looking bullet for sure once you get the hang of it being different than most other moulds. This is from the 377310 mould and it throws on average with a 1:20 alloy 315 gr. All bands are .377" and nose is .366".

Plus, it does an admirable job on the base even though a nose pour. My slight fears about the base were unfounded. Most happy with this mould for my 38-55.

« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2013 at 7:54pm by »  

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Heating a Hoch
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2013 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Generally (there are exceptions) Hoch moulds get more tractable and less cranky the more they are used.  But they do need to heat up, by whatever means necessary. 

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2013 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Quote:
But they do need to heat up, by whatever means necessary.
Burner on a gas stove! And the older the stove is the better - higher BTU's

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2013 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
As with my other moulds, I place the Hoch on the edge of my pot when I turn it on. Once the pot has reached temp the mould only needs 3-4 bullets cast and its ready to rock & roll.
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2013 at 7:47am by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2013 at 11:06am
Print Post  

I haven't got a hot plate in my shack so I do the same.  Some pots get a lot hotter on the edge than others.  My Lee pot is far more useful at heating up moulds than my RCBS pot.  I might get a hot plate but I Have to work out the electrical load for my little shack first.

Chris.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2013 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
My pots are Lee, so can't comment on others. Lee is the best $49 pot out there.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2013 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
The Hoch has a lot of mass so takes a bit longer to get up to temp. And stays up to temp consistently better than molds with less mass. Like a cast iron frying pan once up to temp it holds well.

Boats

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #7 - Aug 21st, 2013 at 10:08am
Print Post  
I set my Hoch mould's on top of a old cracked upside down cast iron frying pan, use my heat gun with one of the smaller nozzles on high directed at the bottom of the mould. Mould is ready to go when alloy is melted and correct temp, once started casting I go at a steady pace until I need a break, at that point I place mould back on fry pan and turn on heat gun, recharge pot, clean alloy and take a break.

MIKE-T

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint