Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) spent bullet recovery and back stop. (Read 6268 times)
Bibbyman
Ex Member

spent bullet recovery and back stop.
Aug 14th, 2013 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
I've shot away a lot of lead.  I always feel bad that I can't recover most of it and cast new bullets.  Years ago I built a heavy bullet trap.  The first experience wasn't good.  Bullets tended to shatter and come back and hit you. (Used mostly for handguns.)  I added some baffling and that stopped the splatter from coming back. But what I ended up with was dust and fragments.   

Probably the best backstop was just heavy timbers stacked aginst the dirt bank. If you keep shooting in one place long enough the wood will start to shatter and the bullets start to tumble out. We'd nail heavy 2" oak over the hole and keep shooting.  The bullets would collect behind the added board. 

I recently fired about 50 rounds of 45 Colt into a packed sawdust pile.  I expect to find them clustered about a foot deep.  I keep digging and didn't start finding them until about three feet into the bank. They were hard cast Keith style 250 grain at moderate velocity.  The lube was still in groove. They looked unfired except for rifle marks and sawdust stuck here and there.

How much effort do you go to to recover and recycle your lead? Do you have any good methods of stopping the bullets and recovering them?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: spent bullet recovery and back stop.
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
For my type of shooting, competitive you have to start out with certified 99.9% percent lead and the same goes for tin if you do your own alloying or you just won't get the accuracy required to be competitive.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
This raises an interesting question...
Did the old-time shooters like Pope, Hudson et al ever state that they had to use certified lead and tin to be competative?

Bibby,

A long time back, I think there were some pictures posted of different bullet traps that were used by some shooters. You'ld probably have to get familiar with the search function to dig them back up.

« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2013 at 10:20pm by BP »  

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2013 at 12:51am
Print Post  
BP in regards to the old timers I don't remember reading so, I believe Mann talked about the importance of purity in his testing and when time allows I'll see if I can find it. Bottom line now days if it is not certified there is no telling what exactly you might be getting and no means of repeatibity from one batch to another. Roto Metals as well as other quality dealers always have the certified purity listed for both. I wouldn't want to buy it any other way or I would end up chasing my tail at some point in time when my groups started falling apart while trying to figure out why.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2013 at 1:34am
Print Post  
John,

I use both, but have separate casting equipment so certified tin/lead isn't cross-contaminated with antimony or other trace metals contained in salvaged range alloys.

Thinking back on articles from The Rifle (later Shooting and Fishing) published by Arthur Gould, and various other books on the shelf, I don't recall anything specific about how the golden-age shooters sourced their lead and tin supplies or how they confirmed purity.
Curious.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2013 at 2:08am
Print Post  
Now a days, with the XRF Alloy Testers, now used at most metal yards. You will now exactly what's in any nonferous metal. When I bought the tin ingots that I sold last year, I wasn't sold on it's accuracy so, i called the maker of the bars and they gave me the same numbers (99.9%) as the XRF but, the manufactor would have had to look the batch up to give the trace amounts, the XRF gave them on the spot.

I now have much more confidence buy scrape lead.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 15th, 2013 at 6:49am
Print Post  
factor in too that the "old time shooters" were almost entirely oriented toward offhand shooting. 
Anything comparable to our modern requirements for bench rest shooting was done on an experimental basis.   
The advanced experimenters were mostly pretty well-heeled individuals and could afford whatever they needed and was available.    {I personally exempt the "rowland group" from this generalization since we know so little about its details)

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #7 - Aug 15th, 2013 at 8:20am
Print Post  
I believe that Roberts admonished his readers to only use pure lead and tin. He wrote the lead liners from tea chests was the best lead, as it seemed denser.

40 Rod

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 15th, 2013 at 8:23am
Print Post  
My experience is only two effective bullet traps.  Outdoors Dirt berm. Indoors Slanted Steel deflecting into dirt.   Anything hard and flat is going to eat up over time. Slanted takes the sting out of the hottest loads. Dirt absorbs the hot ones.

You can mine either method for lead, My club uses a contractor who mines for free, and keeps the lead.  Small scale nobody looking not much of an issue. Large scale all sorts of permits & cautions by the government. We are happy to get rid if it with no cost.

Most places in the world Lead is not the issue it has become in the US. I guess they watch the kids, make sure they don't chew the window sills. We regulate the paint instead.   No doubt in the old days you could buy very high quality lead, it was a common product used in many processes.

Boats

IP Logged

Bibbyman
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 15th, 2013 at 9:00am
Print Post  
I keep thinking of things in my own little world. We have a 214 acre farm with a lot of wilderness around it and rugged hills and valleys.  Have a number of places where it's perfectly safe to shoot and no laws to hinder me from it.

My question was posed from the prospective of recovery and recycling of my own lead.  I've done this for years but probably only recover a fraction of what gets shot.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Aug 15th, 2013 at 10:55am
Print Post  
If I was going to recover my own lead. I would use a railroad tie frame boxed in 3 sides for a backstop Piled dirt around the outside. Dig out foot or so inside then add Sand that can be sifted. Heavy steel plate at 45 % angle behind the targets.

Plate deflects down into the sand that can be easily mined with screens. We had this arrangement at our Indoor range and it was easy to separate the lead.  Permits were a problem now we deflect into shredded old tires which are hauled away lead and all by a contractor.

Boats

IP Logged

Aonghas
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I keep thinking of things in my own little world. We have a 214 acre farm with a lot of wilderness around it and rugged hills and valleys.  Have a number of places where it's perfectly safe to shoot and no laws to hinder me from it.

My question was posed from the prospective of recovery and recycling of my own lead.  I've done this for years but probably only recover a fraction of what gets shot.

Make a box to go behind your target - it should be of steel sufficiently heavy to prevent a bullet piercing it.

The front of the box should have a plate over it, with an aperture that you are not likely to miss. The back of this plate should prevent any bullet from rebounding towards the shooter. You will be shooting at a 'mailbox' with a square or circular aperture.

Inside the box, hang a heavy steel plate, and this will absorb the kinetic energy of the bullet, which will drop to the bottom of the box. The plate must be free to swing, or you will get rebounds.

Aonghas

IP Logged

ziplocjoe

Reply #12 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
I buy a landscaping product at Wal-Mart that is made of ground up auto tires. Fill a cardboard box with this stuff and it will stop most bullets. A 12 inch cube will stop 22 rim fire. Recovered bullets have little deformation.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint