Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Rem. RB 7mm re-loading questions.... (Read 6092 times)
FatJackDurham
Ex Member

Rem. RB 7mm re-loading questions....
Jul 29th, 2013 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
howdy, all.

I fired some reloaded Winchester factory ammo through my M1910 7mm Spanish Mauser roller, and it was pretty harsh results at 50 yards. So, I want to check my observations, and see if I am on the right track, and get your inputs on the reloading supplies.

Observations: I hammered out the jacketed rounds and powder up front, and fire formed the brass using BP and cream of wheat. It worked very well, all the brass was noticeably fatter and the next was so wide that the .284 jacketed round swam around. I also casted (cast?) the chamber with Cerosafe, and mic'ed the rifling about an inch in at .286-.287. In fact, after fireforming, the inside diameter of the neck was mic'ed at .287 as well. So, it seems this chamber is quite a bit roomier than the standard Mauser chamber.

I used the Lee Collet die to squeeze the neck down, but even still, the rounds were quite loose and spun easily. I don't have a factory crimp. I reloaded 43 grains of the powder that came with them, some kind of spherical powder.

I fired the gun at 50 yards, and got about an 18" group.

Questions: 
1) Was this 7mm round back in the day a lead or jacketed round?
2) The bore seems pretty wide for a .284 projectile. I am hoping the bad accuracy was from lack of crimp and the bullet swiming around in the barrel on the way out. Does this seem reasonable?
3)I cleaned the bore out with Butches, and lots of blue (copper) came out, but otherwise, the rifling looks good and I don't see any imperfections. Are problems in this kind of rifle bore usually visible to the naked eye?
4)I was going to order .287 hard cast bullets from Montana Bullet works. Has anyone used them before?
5)The Winchester brass seems ok, but Midway offers Remington (out of stock, no backorder), Winchester (Seasonal), Nosler (coming soon at 4 x the price) and something called Norma. Is there a better brass to use for 7mm? 8mm? 30-06?
6) I expect a .287 lead bullet to seat firmly, but should I factory crimp anyway?

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Rem. RB 7mm re-loading questions....
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2013 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Norma brass is the best, Hi Power guys use it for long range 6mm imp.

For your groove size, .287 cast bullets may work but, you may need at least .288.

You need to start out with loads that are in the 13 - 1400 fps range and work up. I'd suggest 10.0 gr of Unique to start. Then work up 2-3 gr. In the mean time look for other loads with other powders and velocity's up to 1600 fps.

If the bullets tumble, they may be gas cutting and you need to increase the size to seal the groove.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

FatJackDurham
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2013 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Thanks very much! The bullets I will order are gas checked, and the maker states they should be good up to 1800 fps.

I do have Unique, so I'll start with your recommendation. I think the Lyman book starts pretty close to there anyway. Good to know about the Norma. I ordered a box of 20 from Midway. I'll give it a try and post the results in a couple weeks.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2013 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
I did a little more research on loads, the top loads will give about 1800, the bottom about 1300.

4759, 15 - 20 gr
4227, 16 - 21 gr
Rx7, 20 - 23 gr

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

firearmdoc

Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2013 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
Check Buffalo Arms Company, they have jacketed. 287 diameter bullets in stock. 130 and 154 grains, $34-$37 per 100.

Jesse

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 30th, 2013 at 8:29am
Print Post  
Jack
I suspect the problem is not with the bore but the twist rate. The early 7/57s used a 175 gr 287 rn bullet.Try the heaviest bullet you can find.
Tom

IP Logged

FatJackDurham
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 30th, 2013 at 10:19am
Print Post  
I will check Buffalo Arms. I didn't think to check the jacketed rounds, as I was considering using this at a gong match. However, I do like to shoot higher velocities out of my guns periodically. 

Twist rate is 1:9, by my estimate, with a cleaning rod. The bullets I ordered are 160 grain, and the seller says the twist will be good from 1200 fps on up.

I have 4227, and 4759 as well, but I thought the Lyman book didn't list those for Linotype. I'll check again.....

Thanks again. It will be a couple weeks before I have the dough to order the bullets, so I'll update then.

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 30th, 2013 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
I would propose you drive a lead ball through the barrel to see what the smallest dimension is (suspect it may be close to 0.284) and to see if there are any loose spots, particularly at the muzzle. It is very possible the muzzle was enlarged by cleaning from the muzzle. Also possible there was some runout in the rifling machines that produced an oversize muzzle. I once owned a Shiloh Sharps that had an oversize muzzle. Shiloh refused toe cut the barrel back but fortunately I was able to get a custom smith to shorten barrel back to the point that I could get some accuracy...

No point in wasting money on bullets or powder til you know what the whole barrel looks like dimensionally.
SS
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2013 at 1:00pm by SchwarzStock »  

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

FatJackDurham
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 30th, 2013 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Good advice. I have some soft lead slugs for a .357 from meister. I'll bet if I roll them between a couple of metal plates with some moderate pressure, I can then them close to the bore size, and the slug it through. I can also cast the muzzle as well to see if there is any opening.

I can trim a little and recrown if I have to myself, but I don't want to get into having to move the front sight band.

Thanks for the suggestion. Now I have something to do tonight!

IP Logged

FatJackDurham
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jul 30th, 2013 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Man, the more I clean, the dirtier the barrel gets! What I though was a clean bore was clean rifling and a smoothly dirty bore.

Before I can even think of slugging it, i need to get this thing clean. It's spending the night on a plugged nose with the bore filled with No. 9. After that, I'll see how it is.

IP Logged

craigster
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Jul 31st, 2013 at 12:16am
Print Post  
Don't hold your breath. Went through the same drill a while back with a 7x57 RB. Bore didn't look all that bad after a deep cleaning. But, it patterned @ 50yds rather than grouped,  and half of the bullets  keyholed. I've since rebarreled it with  a pretty much pristine original barrel. I've used jacketed .284" bullets in the 150-170gr  range and they all have shot pretty well, 3" (+/-) @ 100yds with the original iron sights. Good luck.

IP Logged

FatJackDurham
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jul 31st, 2013 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Thanks. It is demoralizing. I already bought the original wood forends to keep it authentic, so replacing the barrel will be a heart break. I am hoping that with a solid cleaning a maybe a bit of bore lapping, it will turn out okay. We'll see.

IP Logged

craigster
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Jul 31st, 2013 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Well, I suppose you could have your barrel relined. More $, some of these old rifles can turn in to a money pit real quick.

IP Logged

FatJackDurham
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Aug 1st, 2013 at 6:35am
Print Post  
The No.9 worked great. The overnight soak disolved all of the remaining copper residue. After that, a bit more with a brush and a few passes with some Pro-Shot lead removing cloth and can now see the actual steel again in the grooves.

Unfortunately, with a I pushed a patch down the muzle a quarter inch, to get a better reflection to see the rifling, I could clearly see that the rifling is worn away at the muzzle. I have ordered a 7mm brass pilot for my crown cutters and will nip of about a half an inch from the barrel and recrown it. At that point, with a nice clean bore and a new crown, if I cant get it to shoot well, I'll think of new options.

IP Logged

FatJackDurham
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Aug 1st, 2013 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
SchwarzStock wrote on Jul 30th, 2013 at 12:19pm:
I would propose you drive a lead ball through the barrel to see what the smallest dimension is (suspect it may be close to 0.284) and to see if there are any loose spots, particularly at the muzzle. It is very possible the muzzle was enlarged by cleaning from the muzzle. Also possible there was some runout in the rifling machines that produced an oversize muzzle. I once owned a Shiloh Sharps that had an oversize muzzle. Shiloh refused toe cut the barrel back but fortunately I was able to get a custom smith to shorten barrel back to the point that I could get some accuracy...

No point in wasting money on bullets or powder til you know what the whole barrel looks like dimensionally.
SS

You called it. I cast the muzzle and you can clearly see the rifling blends out as it reaches the muzzle. I mic'ed the groves at .287 in the bore, and .290 out at the muzzle. The lands mic'ed at .281.  I have ordered the 7mm brass pilot from Brownells for my cutter, and the 1/2 inch 11 degree cutter. I know I am going to regret it, but the metal on this barrel seems softer than on my other Roller, so I ordered the .712 radius cutter as well. I believe in second chances.

I'll cut back about 1/4" to where the groove deapth starts to get more uniform, and cut the new crown from there.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint