Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Breech Seating my rolling block- safe? (Read 5662 times)
Rek
Ex Member

Breech Seating my rolling block- safe?
Jul 28th, 2013 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Hi All,
I'd like to try something that may be a little unusual, and I'm inexperienced and don't know it it's safe to do.

I noticed I can drop a bullet into the breech of my Argentine rolling block and push a case onto it by closing the breech block.  It's doable with not a lot of effort.

I'd like to load fire-formed cases with black powder (like breech loading) so I can shoot with what I have on hand instead of waiting to find components for conventional reloading.  If this works out I can shoot for long enough to get the the other stuff together.

I'm concerned that the case doesn't go up very far on the bullet (.246") and that the case isn't very "tight" around the bullet as it might be if loaded in a press.

Is this likely to allow gases to escape from the breech?

In the attached picture you may notice that these bullets are intended for muzzle loading.  See any problem with using them in a case in my rolling block?

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Breech Seating my rolling block- safe?
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
So long as the cases are fire formed, they should seal, very well. If your going to use BP, you'll need a wad in the mouth of the case so as not to spill powder. I wouldn't conceder it unsafe, at all.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JSB30
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
You do not really need dies. A lot of shooters do not size their cases. Just put a wad on top the BP and  put a bullet in and if necessary push the nose of the bullet against something to correct depth.

IP Logged

Chickenthief

Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2013 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Keep in mind that any kind of wad can/will lodge itself in the bullets cavity. That will alter the flightpath.
If you compress the BP some it will become solid and wont spill.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 5th, 2013 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
those hollow base Minie'-style bullets were often filled with grease.  You could fill them with lube and it might help keep the overpowder wad in place

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 7:04am
Print Post  
Like the other guys I would fill the hollow base with some stiff lube.

If you get "smoked" necks indicating less than perfect seal you can flare the cases just enough the scrape the chamber on loading. Soft annealed necks help seal too.  Most of us breech seating use some flare and soft neck single cases.

When I breech seat black I use a fairly thick cork wad just in the neck. get them from Walters Wads, to keep the powder from spilling while loading

Boats

IP Logged

Rek
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 8th, 2013 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
So the bullet definitely touches the cork wad when you breech seat?  There's no air space between the bullet and the wad?
I'll be using 55grs of black with a filler of PSB which I'll fill to the case mouth and compress enough for the bullet to seat on it, and use the wet type floral foam to close the case, which goes to nothing when you press on it.  Here's the PSB:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
And here's where I learned of it:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 8th, 2013 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
My bullet does not touch the Cork wad. Air gap perhaps .15

Boats

IP Logged

JDA
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Aug 10th, 2013 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
I have a very similar situation.  While not being strictly breech seated bullet, I have fixed ammunition that contains BP, .060 veggie wad and a paper patched bullet.  The bullet is stuck in the case about .030" and just nests into the rifling on loading.  Fine fit between bullet and walls of rifle's long (approx. .78") free bore.  Chamber has a 6 Deg leade.  45-90 Win.

Experiencing vertical stringing.  Little horizontal.  What's up? Huh

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 6:08am
Print Post  
Have to guess what's going on with your rifle. Breech seating the bullet is firmly set into the rifling with a lever seating tool same every shot no chance for variance .  Charge in the case does not touch it but is also set firm with a simple push hand wad seater with a depth stop.  Consistency of powder charge and wad seating is key. Also not mentioned the bore is wiped every shot.

I would look to the powder charge and wad seating.  Slip fit the charge is not only providing the power it's setting the seating depth. Any inconsistency in wad depth or seat is going to cause stringing

Lot of guys get good results slip fit no  neck tension. With the 40/65 so far I have not and am playing with various neck tension using neck size dies.  Jury is still out,

Boats

IP Logged

JDA
Participating Member

Reply #10 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 9:04am
Print Post  
Thanks, Boats.  Bore is cleaned every shot, no residue.  Powder is Swiss 1.5.  Neck tension is a small issue as the bullet base is in the case .030" and just snug enough to keep from falling out.  What I did not do was check COAL before shooting, there may be some variance.  Detail, Detail.....

" Consistency of powder charge and wad seating is key."  Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint