Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Lyman #310 Tool Re-Capping Die (Read 1771 times)
creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Lyman #310 Tool Re-Capping Die
Jul 27th, 2013 at 5:44am
Print Post  
  What would really be a nice accessory to the Lyman No. 310 reloading tool would be a "Re-Capping" chamber replacement.  Instead of having the factory set-up where each re-capper is cartridge specific, why not have a die that accepts the standard (R.C.B.S., Redding, Lyman, etc) shell holders.  The result would be one re-capper 310 die and you use your shell holders for the specific case that needs re-loading.

I would think that someone such as Mr. Doug Elliott could make these dies up with 5/8"-30 thread and offer them for sale on this site.

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: Lyman #310 Tool Re-Capping Die
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2013 at 9:09am
Print Post  
CMM,

I have a bunch of the 310 stuff (as we may have discussed before.)  I had never thought of a shell holder holder die since so far I've been able to find the proper original dies for the calibers I've been trying to load, but it would be kinda neat to be able to buy one adaptor and a set of RCBS-type shell holders to re-cap everything.  I'm not sure about the ergonomics of such a set-up, though.  I'll sort of mull it over for a while.

Froggie

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2013 at 11:14am
Print Post  
  Hi Green Fog
  I was thinking if there were such a conversion for #310 Re-Capper die, to use any company's shell holder, then with the purchase of a J. Bly 1873 Maynard shell holders the tool could be used for my .32 dish pan style cases.

C.M.M.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2013 at 11:23am
Print Post  
There are already quite a few quick, easy and ergonomic hand-priming tools out on the market that use the large press size shell holders. 

I like the 310 sets myself, and have even made a complete 310 die set for the 22CCM aka 22 Maynard Ex Long CF. But I think that a 310 die made to accept the large press size shell holders would be bulky and throw off the comfortable balance of the 310 tool.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint