Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ruger #1 (Read 17064 times)
Walter  Matera
Ex Member

Re: Ruger #1
Reply #15 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
Especially those who insist on shooting the Big Killers off a bench.  Odd, really, as no where in any of the game fields I have hunted have i ever found a convenient shooting bench.  Stand on your hind legs like a man.  Shoot off sticks.  Fire no more than five shots a session.  It will make your shots on dangerous game much more reliable . . . and even pleasant.   Grin

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jul 21st, 2013 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
I'll agree that the #3 as Mfg as a "snubbie" carbine was an odd move to say the least.  very poorly designed stock for starters and the 45-70 in a carbine was a really bad marketing choice and a stout load in 30-40 would have been a handful--considering the stock design. Not sure the accuracy potential of those early models was up to the 223/22hornet with out considerable tuning work.
  But then BillR loved the old classic Brit singles shots as per the #1 and I doubt that he was seriously interested in the #3.   With a proper length weight and length barrel and #1 style or better wood, a #3 offers customizing options, because of its Stevens/Winchester etc style lever, that cannot be done nearly as well or as easily as with a #1. 
  I firmly believe that bringing back the #3 action in a non-carbine rendition would really bump up their singles shot sales. 
Especially if they added a skeletonized lightened Zika-style hammer, updated springs, and brought back the original adjustable trigger hammer form the 1st gen #1's.  A factory installed adjustable barrel bedding screw added to the hanger would also be a good addition.
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2013 at 4:40pm by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jul 21st, 2013 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
George Peterson / Treebone Carving has some lovely pistol grip stock sets for the #3 action.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Walter  Matera
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jul 21st, 2013 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Oh for Pete's sake, don't tell me that!  I've still got this trapdoor project to get off the ground and then I have to figure out what to do about my Krag.  The last thing I need to do now is go hunting for a nice #3.   Grin

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Jan 6th, 2016 at 9:57am
Print Post  
OK, call me a wimp if you want, the No. 3 in 45-70 or 460 Mag doesn't appeal to me.  My No. 3 in 375 Win kicks a bit too much for me with full powered loads.  So much so that 30 or so years ago I put a recoil pad on it, and while I was at it, shortened the forend and got rid of the barrel band.

I've been thinking pretty hard about rebarrelling it to 32-40, but it shoots so well in 375, I have a hard time getting started on the project. I'd also want to solve the tang sight issue so I could install an MVA sight. Thinking about options, and considering epoxying a threaded sleeve in the stock behind the action for the rear base screw.

My No. 1 in 7x57 will keep the shots in a group 1/2" wide at 100 yds, but strings them to 2"+ vertically. Hope some bedding work will shrink the vertical dispersion.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #20 - Jan 6th, 2016 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
I had a #3 in 45-70; it's now in .375Win.  Good move.

If you do a 32-40 you MIGHT like the #1 stock much better.  (I have another .375W #3 with scheutzen stock - whole different animal.)

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #21 - Jan 7th, 2016 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Back to the original question on bedding or sort of close to it, is the RSI forearm attached the same way as a normal #1 and is there contact at the muzzle for a short distance?  Both of my Rugers, a #1V in 223 and a custom #3 in 7mm Ackley Krag have the bedding screw adjustment added and shoot pretty darned good in my opinion.  I really like the looks of the RSI models and wonder if they are as easy to tune to shoot moa?  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

dave_j

Reply #22 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
my #3 is 30-40 Krag and has #1 wood which is an exact fit. it changed the whole complexion of the gun and is a pleasure to shoot. I have #1s in 25-06,6mm,and 30-06 which are stock as from the factory. I have one converted to 32 miller short by Verl Sigman and another in 32-40 with a  Bo Clerke barrel. Kepplinger triggers on all of them. Can you guess I like the #1??
I keep the forend tight and that seems to work just fine. the Miller is shot off of a sled

ah heck  AA#9,4227,300MP, as long as it goes bang

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint