Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ruger #1 (Read 17062 times)
bg7m

Ruger #1
Jul 17th, 2013 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
I finally made a trade on a #1. This one is 300 Win. mag, not my first choice of calibers, but I am very happy to get the gun.
Haven't shot it yet to see the grouping, but headed to the range soon.
The foreend contacts the barrel for about 3/4" at the tip of the foreend.
Is this normal?
Won't this affect the accuracy as the barrel heats up?Should this be a free floating barrel?
Thanks for looking

IP Logged

Walter  Matera
Ex Member

Re: Ruger #1
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2013 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
No two rifles are ever the same.  There is a preference among shooters for free floated barrels in match rifles that carried over into field guns.  However, every now and again you come across a barrel that . . . I guess you could say likes company?  A little pressure on the underside of the barrel seems to do such barrels well.  I recall years ago reading about how if you sprinkled magnetized iron filings along the barrel and then put a few rounds through it, the filings would cluster at a particular 'node of vibration'.  Putting a pound or so of upward pressure on that spot would stabilize the barrel and make is shoot better, or so the author claimed.  You won't know until you give it a try.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2013 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Very pretty rifle, I have always more than enjoyed their lines. You will get a lot of varied answers to your bedding question. What worked for me was Merrill Martins approach for serious target work. That being letting the forend have hard direct contact with the front of the action and the forend bearing point on the barrel was removed and replaced with RTV Silcone. The silicone was not presure bedded against the barrel, it was applied, the forend screwed back on and left in an upright position until it set. It did not apply any upward pressure it just simply absorbed the vibrations set up by the hanger and the hammer spring. This approach worked extremely well for me and the rifle was just as competitive as anything found on the line at a Schuetzen bench rest match. His article on just how to do the work was published in the CBA's Fouling Shot back in the 80's. You should be able to contact them to purchase that particular back issue, it would be worth the time and effort in my book.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

bg7m

Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2013 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jul 17th, 2013 at 3:22pm:
Very pretty rifle, I have always more than enjoyed their lines. You will get a lot of varied answers to your bedding question. What worked for me was Merrill Martins approach for serious target work. That being letting the forend have hard direct contact with the front of the action and the forend bearing point on the barrel was removed and replaced with RTV Silcone. The silicone was not presure bedded against the barrel, it was applied, the forend screwed back on and left in an upright position until it set. It did not apply any upward pressure it just simply absorbed the vibrations set up by the hanger and the hammer spring. This approach worked extremely well for me and the rifle was just as competitive as anything found on the line at a Schuetzen bench rest match. His article on just how to do the work was published in the CBA's Fouling Shot back in the 80's. You should be able to contact them to purchase that particular back issue, it would be worth the time and effort in my book.

Thanks for the quick reply guys.  I've read a lot about these rifles and have always liked the style of them. 
I'll head to the range soon and see how it does.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2013 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
the Ruger Single-Shot has been a work in progress for a long time.  when they first came out there were a number of bedding issues and if you do a serious search you will find a lot of different tips and advice on how to solve their problems.  Over the years Ruger has made a number of incremental improvements
  As in any rifle shooting accuracy discussion there are a bunch of factors, and the gun itself and the way it is tuned is just a part of the package,  the ammunition, sights, the bench equipment and setup, the shooter's skills, and the conditions all can have significant impact on group size at the target.   Forend bedding is one place to start and at least on the earlier guns it made a lot of difference.  Just remember you have a coop full of chicken and egg dilemma's.
Then there are the shooters expectations.  Do you want 200 yard 1/2 MOA ASSRA x-ring target accuracy, 600 yard prairie dog, or 800 yard cross canyon elk.

Do a search of the site here under "Ruger single shot, Ruger #1, etc etc".  and you'll find enough to set your head spinning until it hurts and falls off.
I've had to pick mine up and screw it back on several times.  But then I currently have half a dozen of them  (Ruger single shots that is) from a heavy barrel 22 rf custom conversion for the 200 yard rimfire bench rest match to an unusual custom 50 .cal not-so-modern-muzzleloader; plus a couple #3 actions as "projects".  Every last one of them came in one way or another through fellow ASSRA members

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2013 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Rumor has it Ruger is going to stop making them? Hopefully the Rumor is wrong.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Walter  Matera
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2013 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Rumor has been around for years and they still keep making them.

IP Logged

Kermit1945
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Jul 18th, 2013 at 12:31am
Print Post  
The #1 I'm going to stumble on someday is an International in .243. I think it's only made in 7x57 currently.

"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jul 18th, 2013 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Well........... the 7x57 will do anything the .243 will just as well and many things that the .243 will not do. 7x57 is probably, next to the 30-06, the best 'do anything' hunting cartridge out there (along with the 7mm-08).

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

outsidebear

Reply #9 - Jul 18th, 2013 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
A cartridge comparison!  This could get interesting! 
How 'bout I toss in a Ruger #3 in my P.O. Ackley shop re-bore/re-chamber from .223 to .257 Roberts!

IP Logged

Walter  Matera
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 18th, 2013 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
Excuse me?  There is only one 'do everything' cartridge and its name is .375 H&H.  One Planet, One Rifle . . .for One Hundred Years.

IP Logged

bg7m

Reply #11 - Jul 19th, 2013 at 9:47am
Print Post  
For me the 7mm Remington mag is my choice. I have a 7mag in an old Browning bolt action(is bolt action a dirty word here? Grin), that has been the doom of many deer

IP Logged

craigster
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Jul 19th, 2013 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jul 17th, 2013 at 9:56pm:
Rumor has it Ruger is going to stop making them? Hopefully the Rumor is wrong.

They are not going to stop making them. But, the chamberings are being limited to only one per model.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 9:48am
Print Post  
In order to tap the market for heavy pistol cartridges in rifles being made legal for deer hunting in previously-shotgun-only areas that is becoming more common in many eastern states,  Ruger made the #1 available in the .460 SW.  Thats basically the 32 miller/Dell approach to a 45-70---A shortened reduced capacity case for modern powders.   Its WAY too bad that dropped the #3. A #3 in that .460 S-W would make one hell of a hunting gun.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Quote:
Its WAY too bad that dropped the #3. A #3 in that .460 S-W would make one hell of a hunting gun.

Yes, the 5 1/2 lb, #3 was available in 45/70, in it's day and the S&W 460 could match that, nicely.

I just love watching guy's shoot those rifles that "kill on both ends"  Smiley

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint