Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Annealing Machine? (Read 15120 times)
SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Annealing Machine?
Reply #15 - Jul 15th, 2013 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on Jul 15th, 2013 at 8:03am:
Only real case separation problem I have ever had in SS cases was with 45/70's that had canalures rolled in. Few separated at the grove causing all sorts of Trapdoor problems.  
Boats

Custer's crew suffered a similar problem at the LBH.
Good that you fared better. Wink

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Walter  Matera
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jul 15th, 2013 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Now that's slick!  Maybe I should go looking in garage sales more often.  I mean, I already have the torch and the bucket . . .

IP Logged

Longdistance1
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Jul 16th, 2013 at 3:22am
Print Post  
Best Annealing machine is a lead pot of wheel weights or Linotype, a bucket of water and a pair of pliers

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jul 16th, 2013 at 10:34am
Print Post  
LD1,
Welcome to the forum. Hear you and that would work, but lead pot and water scares the H---- out of me. One drop of water in the lead pot and you have a major explosion.
Chuck

IP Logged

Longdistance1
Senior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Jul 16th, 2013 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Lead pot on the bench, bucket of water with lid on it on floor, hole in bucket lid to accept a piece of steel conduit 1 inch or bigger so that brass won't hang up, anneal,drop in conduit,quinch in bucket DONE.

IP Logged

Longdistance1
Senior Forum Member

Reply #20 - Jul 17th, 2013 at 1:43am
Print Post  
When using lead to anneal, your brass should have a little lube on it to the depth you stick it into the lead, if the brass is absolutely clean you will tin the brass with lead.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jul 17th, 2013 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Am sure all these methods are good, however it's hard to imagine anything more accurate, simpler, faster or less expensive than a dark room, torch and a power screwdriver.

Boats

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jul 17th, 2013 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
boats............ think you nailed it on 3 out of 4. Am guessing the machines are more 'accurate' due to their adjustable torches, etc. However, not sure that 'more accurate' annealing shows up as 'more accurate' ammo on the range. Think our methods are 'accurate enough'.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Walter  Matera
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jul 17th, 2013 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Right!  All you get from being hard to please is pleased less often.  I just like the motorized version because it looks cool.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jul 18th, 2013 at 3:03am
Print Post  
FYI, here's an article I authored some time ago on currently available annealing equipment from the simple to the most expensive $800 machine.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jul 18th, 2013 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Wayne - as you have the Bench Source, what do you think of it? Worth the cost?

GTalk  
IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jul 18th, 2013 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Glenn,

I'd give the Bench Source machine an A++ for design and ease of use, and the price is reasonable when comparing other units.  I really like the unique design of the small rotating spindle the case is positioned over for alignment with the torch flame.  Although the unit will handle two torches, the design allows using only one.  I guess if one was annealing several hundred cases at one setting, two torches would speed up the process by allowing a reduction of the heating time for each case.

Was it worth it?  That's a subjective question and depends on the amount of discretionary funds available, usage requirement and how much one values ease of use.  I anneal after every match.  With a carrousel-type unit the setup is fast and I can safely and easily anneal in the comfort of my office/loading room with bright lights.  However, with two exceptions, I have to agree with Boats’ comment, "...however it's hard to imagine anything more accurate, simpler, faster or less expensive than a dark room, torch and a power screwdriver”.  The exceptions are accuracy and speed.  The carrousel annealers will always be faster than hand held annealing plus each case is annealed exactly the same amount.  The human factor is removed from the actual annealing process.  How much is all the above worth? It depends.

BTW, my 2nd choice was the Ken Light unit.  I do like the aesthetically pleasing look of Ken’s design but it has a couple of shortcoming when compared to the Bench Source; two torches are required and additional cartridge head wheels are required for different cases.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Jul 18th, 2013 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
Wayne 

Anneal after every match, do you think the brass gets work hardened that fast ?

38/55 Cases I  just annealed were reloaded over 20 times each. MTM box has the 1-10 reloaded check off's each crossed out then double crossed for the 2nd 10. Even so waited longer not counting any more only Annealing after a few cases started showing neck cracks. Doing the math on that barrel from it's log book and if all cases were used equally I get 27 loadings before Anneal.

This particular rifle is fired with very light neck size only little flare then ironed out and closed just a bit on loading, probably works the brass .002 . Seems to me let the brass tell you when it needs to be Annealed. 27 it told me to get out the torch.

My new 40/65 barrel is going to have right much more expansion fired to loaded case and I expect it's going to need it more often.

Boats

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Jul 19th, 2013 at 12:50am
Print Post  
Boats,

Annealing after each match may be excessive but I've done some testing and, with slip fitted bullets, can feel the difference between case necks that are not annealed after a match and ones that are when thumb pushing in a new lubed bullet.  So my philosophy is "better safe than sorry".  With the Bench Source annealer it's quick and easy and is one of the faster steps in the reloading process since it ready to go with no warm up once it's plugged in and the dedicated torch is lit.  It takes approximately 15 min. total to set up, anneal 60 cases, unplug & turn off the torch, and store the annealer.   

Wayne

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Jul 19th, 2013 at 6:59am
Print Post  
Wonder if it has something to do with difference in fired to loaded dim's  My 38/55 hardly any at all. New 40/65 right much difference in fired case to loaded case.  Works the brass a lot more

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint